Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL - cancellation fee?

Options
  • 17-04-2008 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭

I'm fed up of the speed I get with eircom, and the new NTL packages look good. Only thing is there is a 12 month contract, and if they don't turn out to be as good as they say then I don't want to be stuck with them.

If you were to cancel before the end of the 12 month contract what is the deal? Do they charge a disconnection fee?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

The last time I read through their contract it stated (pretty much) that you'd have to pay for the rest of the 12 months.
    The service is great (D24) when it's up and running, which it is most days. Just hope that nothing major goes wrong...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,949 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Im not sure on the cancellation fee.
    NTL like most, if not all ISP's have their issues. Some more than others. I find NTL to work grand most of the time. Can be slow at times, super fast others. overall id be happy with NTL experience.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

I cannot for the life of me understand why people ask these type of questions here when the obvious course of action is to ask NTL what their policy is:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭jimogr

dub45 wrote: »
    I cannot for the life of me understand why people ask these type of questions here when the obvious course of action is to ask NTL what their policy is:rolleyes:

Sales are closed, thought someone here might have experience in cancelling, and in any case policy and actuality can often differ.

I cannot for the life of me understand why you would waste your time responding if thats all you could add.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

it raises his post count :p

i asked ntl when i signed up. really nice girl i was onto aswel. she told me if its a serious technical issue resulting in serious lack of service they will gladly cancel the contract if its been going on for so long. but it does take a long time.
    also requires you to return all hardware they supplied.

as for cancelling for any other reason, its a buy out im afraid. you pay for the full contract as per the terms and conditions.

if your out of your contract, then it only takes a phone call. but thats 12 months away for most of us with this new upgrade :)

ntl is great so dont worry. if something goes wrong, they will fix it.

oh, and i dont work for ntl either.

• Advertisement

jimogr wrote: »
    Sales are closed, thought someone here might have experience in cancelling, and in any case policy and actuality can often differ.

I cannot for the life of me understand why you would waste your time responding if thats all you could add.

My point is that no matter what anyone tells you on here it is third hand and/or speculation. The best people to ask about contractual matters are the people you are entering into the contract with.

If a contractual issue arises between you and NTL in the future it wont matter a damn what anyone on boards told you in advance of you signing up.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Sudsy86

100euro cancellation if ya cancel after 3 weeks which is probation period...

Sudsy86 wrote: »

I rest my case:)

• Moderators Posts: 12,371 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Ive heard of people who pay NTL by going to the post office, who just stop paying. NTL disconnect you and as far as I know, if you want to get NTL again in the same house, they wont let you unless you pay off the broken contract.
    Thats just what ive heard, cant quote anything to back it up though.

From my experience NTL are grand, the net might go down a few times a year for an evening but nothing thats really annoyed me.
    Ive just ordered a 6Mb line yesterday so im looking forward to using it to its best!

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭jimogr

Sudsy86 wrote: »

Thanks.

Had this confirmed by NTL today, they also said that if you were canceling because you were moving address then they wouldn't apply the cancellation fee.

Seems fair to me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Aquarius1973

Ive heard of people who pay NTL by going to the post office, who just stop paying. NTL disconnect you and as far as I know, if you want to get NTL again in the same house, they wont let you unless you pay off the broken contract.

From my experience NTL are grand, the net might go down a few times a year for an evening but nothing thats really annoyed me.
    Ive just ordered a 6Mb line yesterday so im looking forward to using it to its best!

Hi!
    I had the 6Mb installed 2 weeks ago. Now I see it was the worst decision I have ever made! Right from the first day the connection has not been working correctly. The modem gets disconnected a couple of times daily!
    Over the "lucky period" I contacted the NTL customer service three times. Every time they promised to contact me the next day... I received no single call from them!!!!!! In the end I have sent a letter to the customer service describing this frustrating situation!!! I am really fed up with NTL, its customer service and unprofessional staff!!!
    I would not recommend NTL services to anyone unless I had a personal vendetta against them!
    I am going to change the Internat provider ASAP and of course not to pay single penny for such a crap level of provided "service".

Cheers,

Aquarius

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭Blindpew

QUOTE]

A friend of mine had NTL for a while, he downloaded a load of stuff and never paid a penny. They eventually cut him off but didn't chase him down for the money. He has no internet now and can't sign up with any isp as he's done similiar things with them all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Aquarius1973

Blindpew wrote: »
    QUOTE]

A friend of mine had NTL for a while, he downloaded a load of stuff and never paid a penny. They eventually cut him off but didn't chase him down for the money. He has no internet now and can't sign up with any isp as he's done similiar things with them all.

I presume your friend did it intentionally... I am talking about a situation that an ISP wants to charge a client for a service which actually was not delivered... the fact that a modem remains to be connected to a socket in a wall is not the service... or does it? ;-)
    Anyway, the described practices show how unprofessional and dishonest is the company... shame on them!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

Blindpew wrote: »

I presume your friend did it intentionally... I am talking about a situation that an ISP wants to charge a client for a service which actually was not delivered... the fact that a modem remains to be connected to a socket in a wall is not the service... or does it? ;-)
    Anyway, the described practices show how unprofessional and dishonest is the company... shame on them!

I had a similar problem with Smart. Signed up with them in December and by April I still hadn't recieved my modem. I rang them loads of times and was promised every time the modem would arrive during the week.

I told them to cancel my contract and still a year later they're trying to bill me 400 euros for cutting my contract! :pac:

For every ISP someone has had a bad experience.

Advertisement