Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best xbox games?

• 17-04-2008 10:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭

Ok lets have it ,

So GTA4 is about to arrive - We've had HALO 3 and Gears of War

What are the best games the 360 has to offer???

I liked the look of assassins creed on gamespot where it got an excellent review but have since read some very bad ones.

Any ideas?????????????

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭FunkyChicken

Call of duty 4 and crackdown are my two favourite games. Halo3 was poo but I havent played GoW yet.

Assassins creed is loads of fun but very repedetive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

Thought Halo 3 was only ok, loved Gears, loved Burnout Paradise, loved Bioshock (only I played that on pc, not 360). Rented Assassin's Creed for a few days a while back, thought it was good enough to buy but haven't gotten around to it yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 763 ✭✭✭F-Stop

I don't play multiplayer online, so all of the bull**** below is based on my experience of single player campaign.

Gears of War - for a good mix of machismo, beautiful decaying environments, great action, and chainsaws. Story doesn't go too far - but so what. Lock and load.

Assassin's creed - looks beautiful, running across the rooftops is awesome, but the combat gets dull and the first 30 mins is hell. I actually enjoyed this, but I fully understand every complaint made about it. Only worth it if you can get if bargain price.

Dead Rising - One of the best 360 games if you are willing to put in the time. A 6 hour game to finish from beginning to end, but learning the weapon traits, the food-magazine-weapon combinations, the FREAKING save points, takes some time. Once you get over the hump this is an amazing game. Has a lot of dissenters, but they just want some quick fun. Anyone who knows this game, knows how good it is. Can be got cheap too, which is a bonus.

Crackdown - Good quick fun. The buzz begins from the word go - and just gets better as you go on and build your skills. There's a lot to this simple free roaming adventure. One of the best co-op games for sheer inventiveness and creativity.

Skate. - I don't like the Tony Hawk series, but this is a different kettle of fish. Does take a little getting used to, but once it clicks it's pretty addictive. Has some crushing challenges, but can still be finished even without getting them. One of my favourite games from last year, with some of the best moments of: "Oh yeah, nailed it".

Mass Effect: Tried it, liked what it does, but not really my cup of tea. That said, it is a great game in that the story is deep, and the character development is both clever and fun to be involved with. If you like RPGs with some FPS (or TPS) combat you can not go wrong.

Earth Defence Force 2017: It is cheap and it is cheerful. If you want a good deep developed story - do not buy. If you want next gen graphics that blow your mind - do not buy. If you want pure triple distilled fun, blowing up giant alien ants and spiders at budget price - Do Buy. The best 20 euro I spent this year. EDF EDF EDF!!!

Orange Box: Too many good things to say about this so all I can say is: "John Freeman ran quickly to a house, where there were zombie goasts. And he quickly shot them, and he ran fast away from that place." This is a triumph. Huge Success.

Bioshock: One of the best narratives, until about two thirds. Then it loses momentum. Still a good game and well worth playing. Lovely atmosphere, great graphics, clever gameplay. Fort Frolic will go down in history as one of the best levels ever.

Guitar Hero II (or III): II is better. I was a bit smug about these games until I played them. Great fun. Better party games than Wii sports. If you like music, adn you like plastic guitars - then this is for you.

Kane and Lynch: A game that got bad press for all the right reasons. After all the Gerstman stuff, I have to say, he was wrong. It is not a great game - maybe not even a good game - but if you persevere it has some great moments. This does offer moments where it works on a level that none of it's contemporaries have reached yet (I suspect this will change on the 29th and make what I am trying to say redundant). Not a beginners game, and too flawed for the hardcore. Only worth it if you find it cheap (which you will).

CoD4: One of the most intense gaming experiences this year. Short campaign, but begs you to play it at a harder level. Rare for this kind of game - very replayable. Forget the supposed 'moral choice' in Bioshock. There is a scene in this that really does ask questions about what it means to play games, and how the choices we make in games affect us - it's genius is due to the player losing control of play. One of the most amazing scenes in a game I have ever witnessed. But that's not the half of it.

In my experience, games for the X-Box are a cut above anything I've ever seen before - for example, the graphics on GoW / COD4 are simply stunning.

For an overall best game for the X-Box though, my vote would have to go to Oblivion. I've downloaded all the plugins for it, which only enhances the game.

That said, I haven't played it in a while cause I've been busy with all the other titles, but it is one I know I'll always come back to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

i bought my 360 after a half hour introduction to GOW, the game was (and still is) stunning, if only the campaign was longer. COD 4 is the new king of the console, very hard to put down, subject of many an argument with herself. neither game will ever be traded in. just 7 months til gears 2!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 215 ✭✭D3UC3 J3

PGR3/4, GRAW1/2 or Rainbow 6 Vegas 1/2 are all worth a title shot IMHO!

Madden 08 / Tiger 08 are the best two sports games...funnily enough FIFA 08 is better than PES08 online!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭Trapattoni

3 questions

1. I hear GOW is looked upon as some as outdated now, any truth in this?

2. It ha been a long time since I played a First/third person shooter on console (play them on pc with mouse). I think it was brothers in arms on PS2 which was woeful due to the controls (no mouse-very restricted) ---- are modern day shooters much better?

3. Still looking for opinions on assassins creed??

Thnks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

GoW looks fantastic still for an early 360 game. Maybe a bit brown but fantastic non the less.

AC is gorgeous to look at. Plays really well and the sense of freedom free-running across buildings is great but it gets repetative quickly. Personally I dont really mind but it kinda makes getting thru each level a chore at times. If ya get it cheap it's worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭ejvilla

Trapattoni wrote: »
    3 questions

1. I hear GOW is looked upon as some as outdated now, any truth in this?

Thnks

I only bought this a couple of months ago. One of the best games I've ever played. Coop campaign rules. The GF and I finished it, unlocked hardcore mode, then started it up again - no break, we just wanted to keep playing it!

Its been the sole reason I've bought Conflict: Denied Ops, Kane and Lynch, Army of 2 (Army of 2 being the only one even remotely close to GOW, but still nowhere near as good).

If you haven't played it, get it. You won't be disappointed.

Thank jebus GTA4 will be out soon..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

GOW is still as good and looks as good if not better than anything else out ther - COD4 being the one big exception.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭battser

Loved GOW when I first played it. Looked like noone had done anything like it before. Great effects and nice game play. For me tho it got boring too fast. I was bored with the same **** of running into places where all you had to do was duck and cover. At first its great but it just becomes boring especially when you turn on COD 4 and are immersed in a high tempo fast paced action FPS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Call of Duty 2 - Campaign on Veteran is one long tough slog
    Call of Duty 4 - Excellent campaign and online.
    Halo 3 - 4 player coop campaign is well worth doing and online is pretty good.
    Rainbow Six Vegas 2 - Better ranking system than R6V1, 4 coop terrorist hunts are good craic but only 2 player coop story this time. Still good story and excellent online.
    Bioshock - Excellent story and definitely playable over and over.

Brought back Asassins Creed the day after I bought it. Thought it was terribly slow and repetitive depsite looking very well. Wasnt mad about Gears of War...just didnt like the controls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 JohnG2176

I have assassins creed, got so far in it, and just gave up, i couldn't go pick another pick-pocket or eavesdrop on someone, so repetitive, if you can get a loan of it or rent it, great, otherwise, don't bother buying.

COD4 is excellent in both campaign and multiplayer

Bioshock is also worth picking up, can be got cheap these days

Gears of war is also excellent, highly recommend it

Oblivion is also great, but takes ages

I'd still hold out on GTA4 at the end of the month, and buy another game when you've finished that...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭Trapattoni

Sounds good - does anyone know what I mean when I say playing the likes of the old COD games on PS2 were useless compared to PC mouse and keyboard...are these days genuinely gone ?

Someone put a video on youtube I watched last night and had Dead Rising in their top 5 all time favs for xbox 360...I looked it up on gamespot video review and have to say I thought it was hilarious and looked really good fun!! maybe not longevity however

Advertisement