Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

choosing a slurry tank

• 17-04-2008 10:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭

my uncle is planning on buying a new slurry tank and theres a few areas where hes unsure what to do , 1stly , he doesnt know whether to buy an abbey , a hi spec or a ruscon , the ruscon is the cheapest of the 3 by a fair bit , the hi spec and the abbey are about the same price but the hi spec 2000 gallon has a capacity of 2080 gallons while the abbey 2000 has a capacity of only 1900 gallons
    hes also unsure as to whether he should go for a galvanised tanker , it costs 3000 euro extra but they say it will last twice as long

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 848 ✭✭✭ravima

How much slurry will he be spreading? how many days will this take? Would he be better getting a contractor to do it? I know that it is nice to own ones own equipment, but I have come to the conclusion that if you are not using the stuff to the max, then you are probably better off getting a contractor to to all the jobs on the farm.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

get the hi spec one. there the best besides major. i think the ordinary ones are fine. i wouldnt pay the extra for galvanised

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

ravima wrote: »
    How much slurry will he be spreading? how many days will this take? Would he be better getting a contractor to do it? I know that it is nice to own ones own equipment, but I have come to the conclusion that if you are not using the stuff to the max, then you are probably better off getting a contractor to to all the jobs on the farm.

he likes to be self sufficent , besides , whenever you get a contractor in to spread , without fail every time , they send a young fella who is barely 18 and is only capable of driving in a straight line

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭wallycool

Have a look at a Joskin slurry tank. Or maybe 1 of these http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=D3snH0iMEnc Your uncle would have it done in no time!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

irish_bob wrote: »
    he likes to be self sufficent , besides , whenever you get a contractor in to spread , without fail every time , they send a young fella who is barely 18 and is only capable of driving in a straight line
    + the chances of them comming on a dry day rarely happen. I have an abbey tanker painted model 22 years old never housed never rusted. Other than changing the vanes in the pump once and one puncture repair has been trouble free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭kfk

I have a Conor tanker with the past 12 years. It is not galvanised and there are no signs of rust yet. It is not kept indoors usually as I dont have the space so I dont see the point spending extra for galvanised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

wallycool wrote: »
    Have a look at a Joskin slurry tank. Or maybe 1 of these http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=D3snH0iMEnc Your uncle would have it done in no time!!!

Wow, its pretty cool. I don't think we have gates wide enough to let that thing in though. Have to stick to the 1300 gal!

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭johnfaul

go for the hi spec or the major or if you wait buy one direct of nc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

wallycool wrote: »

how could any farmer benifit from that heap???, you'd need an on site mechanic

make the tank bigger is fine, but keep it simple, so that it wont be constantly broken

one thing to watch out for in a tank is that the top of the drum is higher at the end near the tractor, neighbour had a 2000gl ruscon, and it was level and the water/shoite swoosihing back and forth was so anoying, and i was pulling it with a 160hp 4wheel drive

Advertisement