Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Is my price realistic?

Options
  • 17-04-2008 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭

Hey guy is anyone can give a bit of advice here. Selling a car for the first time, Link here http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=53410&cat=46&page=1
    Just wondering if my price is achieveable. I've had it up on carzone for nearly 2 months and have reduced the price by €1100 so far but still no interest.

Thanks in advance, Briman

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

Most people selling cars are in the smae boat, not being able to sell cars, the market at the moment is completly flooded with imports both fron Japan and UK which makes it hard to sell privatly, your car seems to be top spec and is tastfuly modified so you should sell it, keep advertising, print out a similar add to the one you have on Adverts.ie and stick them up in shop windows, put nice for sale signs on the window with a contact number. free ads like here, buyansell and Gumtree are great places to advertise so just keep plugging.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭briman1983

Hey bitemybanger thanks for the advice.

Ya england is a curse but a god sent at the same time. Thanks where i'm of to for the next car over 3k of a saving and a free weekend away in England.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

You have an interior photo of a different car?
    It looks a bit like a boy racers car so you have a reduced market for that kind of thing. Would be easier to sell without the body kit.
    Took a look on carzone, there;s loads of similar corollas going for less with less miles. The money you spent on it has detracted from it's value in my opinion.
    Best of luck with the sale and the car does look great.

Hi promethius thanks for your opinion. Don't know whats going on with that picture. It's a glitch with adverts.ie i'd say. i'll try upload it again now in a min. Ya I know I have a reduced market but i'm hopeful that someone who is looking for a tastefully modified car will be prepared to hand over the cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

The mods would definitely put off alot of people.
    Try changing the licence plates to standard and the rear lights?

• Advertisement

Pictures all fixed

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I would also get rid of those Lexus rear lights and put back on the originals. Sell the Lexus lights seperately on ebay if you have too. The body kit is also not be to everyone's taste but I reckon someone will like it.

Another thing is that while the car is very well speced which will make it more appealling (was it an original UK car?) especially for a Corolla, having a 1.6 litre engine will also limit the level of interest as most Corolla buyers go for the 1.4 litre because of the cheaper running costs.

As others have said the market is flooded with used cars and shifting it will take time. If you have time on your side you may get close to your asking price but if you need it shifted fast then your going to have to price it aggressively.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Drop it to 8k to get it shifted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,312 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Your ad has very bad punctuation/spacing, and a few misspelt words. Is the same text on your carzone ad?

The number plate looks naff, and imo would definitely put some potential purchasers off.

Here is your text with the above fixed, plus a few changes, with a few questions for you to answer/clarify:

My beloved car is for sale!

The car has been serviced every 6-8k (last service on 12/4). Mileage is 61,000 (genuine). Full service history since I bought it (? How long is this? Does it have an actual FSH since new?). Perfect condition inside and out. Exterior is (?colour metallic?) and is totally unmarked. Interior shows absolutely no wear - it's like new. The body kit was professionally fitted and sprayed (cost over €3500).

The car has every possible extra: driver's arm rest, adjustable leather steering wheel with radio controls, uprated 6-speaker Toyota CD player, (?colour?) leather interior, full climate control a/c, all electric windows, heated mirrors, electric sunroof, remote central locking, immobiliser, driver and passenger airbags, multiple airbags, rear head rests etc. Alloy wheels (?size? and what tyres?).

This car is a real head turner and looks stunning. 110bhp engine. Very competively priced. You will not find another one like this! First to see will buy.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

NiSmO wrote: »

The standard (and pretty much all Irish) Corollas didn't have a proper armrest or side airbags in 2003, I'd leave these items in. Also hold your price, it's a lot of car. I would, however, put on legal reg plates and ditch the Lexus lights.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    The standard (and pretty much all Irish) Corollas didn't have a proper armrest or side airbags in 2003, I'd leave these items in. Also hold your price, it's a lot of car. I would, however, put on legal reg plates and ditch the Lexus lights.

Bad idea to hold the price.........bad bad idea.:eek:

Thanks to esel and everyone else who has contributed.

I'm going to leave the price where it is for the next week or two, I'll think about dropping it 400-500 then maybe. As for the reg, I'll get new ones made up asap. I'd have to agree colm_mcm that it’s a lot of car for the money. My next car is costing well over double the asking price of this one and it's going to be a step down in many aspects.

Also I'll make a few changes to the add now.

Thanks Again, Briman

Bad idea to hold the price.........bad bad idea.:eek:

I obviously don't have as much Toyota experience as you :rolleyes:

OP, get the car onto Carzone, and get as many pictures as possible of every aspect of the car.

Have it up already http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Toyota/Corolla/1.6-BODY/945489/

Do people thinks it's worth putting up on any other websites?

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I obviously don't have as much Toyota experience as you :rolleyes:

OP, get the car onto Carzone, and get as many pictures as possible of every aspect of the car.

Colm, I'm not having a go mate - you have my respect - but this car is OVERpriced, OVERsupplied in the marketplace full of secondhand cars, OVER pimped, and the owner is OVERly desperate to shift it and any buyer will see that and offer way less than the asking price. The OP is going to take a DIVE on this car after months of sitting on it........and he may as well drop the price to sell it now..........as opposed to spend more and more money or marketing it all over the shop after months.

Its the harsh reality.....

• Registered Users Posts: 22,312 ✭✭✭✭Esel

OP, the text of your carzone ad is truncated, half the ad is missing.

Not your ornery onager

with Carzone you automatically get onto a load of other sites.

your car is 2 owner? says 1 owner on carzone.
    maybe try some of the modified car magazines like modified motors or slick.

The right buyer will come along for that car. I know this from us having 2nd hand Corolla Sol models that cost more than newer base model Corollas.

5dr Corollas always sell well.

• Advertisement

Hey niceirishfella, Thanks for the input. Your giving the answer to my original question.

Just to clear thinks up i'm not depserate to sell the car. If I can't get a reasonable price for it it will just have to stay, thats life.

I agree the market is flooded, 200+ on carzone alone. As I said this car only has a small market of those 200 on carzone this is probable one of the only "pimped" corolla's and when I was first looking for a corolla 3 yrs back I would have paid the little extra premium to have a car like this. Some people want cars pimped, not everyone wants the standard car.

In your own oppinion what would you value the car at?

esel wrote: »
    OP, the text of your carzone ad is truncated, half the ad is missing.

Fixed, Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Colm, I'm not having a go mate - you have my respect - but this car is OVERpriced, OVERsupplied in the marketplace full of secondhand cars, OVER pimped, and the owner is OVERly desperate to shift it and any buyer will see that and offer way less than the asking price. The OP is going to take a DIVE on this car after months of sitting on it........and he may as well drop the price to sell it now..........as opposed to spend more and more money or marketing it all over the shop after months.

Its the harsh reality.....

Do you read the Sun by and chance? Capitalising random words is very annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

Would definitely put back on a proper number plate. I'd dismiss it immediately if I was looking at saw that one.

Stekelly wrote: »
    Do you read the Sun by and chance? Capitalising random words is very annoying.

if its annoying ste, dont read my posts...
    OP - emmmmm, €9,500.........thats my thoughts on it.
    Ask yourself this - the next car you are going to buy, could you save 2 or 2.5k on what you are going to spend on it? Maybe by dropping a year or importing from the uk? If so, drop the asking price on your car now - and get it sold so you can move on.
    Just an idea - but think of all the angles.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭T J Hooker

€9,500.........thats my thoughts on it.

I'd tend to agree. I wouldn't be advertising it over €10000 anyway. As has been stated in many threads over the last while, at the present time it is a buyers market, I'm in car sales and can verify this..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

As Colm said, it's a Sol.

These cars were €27k when the Terras going for €9.5k were €22k.

If I had it I'd pay €10,250 for it bottom dollar but someone else will pay more. Put €11k open to offers on it.

Put the original alloys and lights back on, sell the ones you have to make up the difference.

Drop the 110bhp crap, it's still a 1.6 hatch though one I like. Don't advertise a car saying every possible extra when it's nerds like me that are going to be interested in a non 1.4 Corolla. It doesn't have sat nav and you don't mention if it has VSC or TVSS. Fitch the T-Sport badge and get a Sol one in a scrapyard or ebay (not one there currently, but keep trying).

If you're advertising a service history it had better be stamped.

Nobody cares if the body kit cost €3.5k, ditch the part of the ad. And DEAR GOD get rid of those red aluminium insert floor mats!!

Borrow a better camera and take more pics, you need a head on one as well as one of the centre console up close.

Toyota Corolla 1.6 BODY KIT LEATHER AC Sol

My beloved car is for sale!

The car has been serviced every 6-8k (last service on 12/4). Mileage is 61,000 (genuine). Full service history since I bought it at 15,000 miles. Perfect condition inside and out. Exterior colour is silver and is totally unmarked. Interior shows absolutely no wear - it's like new. The body kit was professionally fitted and sprayed (cost over €3500). (Original wheels and rear lights available at no extra cost)

The car has every possible extra:
    driver's arm rest, adjustable leather steering wheel with radio controls, up rated 6-speaker Toyota CD player, Black leather interior, full climate control a/c, all electric windows, heated mirrors, electric sunroof, remote central locking, immobiliser, driver and, passenger airbags, multiple and side airbags, rear head rests etc. 16” Alloy wheels (refit original whels)

This car is a real head turner and looks stunning. 110bhp engine. Very competively priced. You will not find another one like this! First to see will buy.

€11,250 open to offers

^^ get rid of all the red underlined bits

T J Hooker wrote: »
    I'd tend to agree. I wouldn't be advertising it over €10000 anyway. As has been stated in many threads over the last while, at the present time it is a buyers market, I'm in car sales and can verify this..

See, I hate to say it but I'm right. I worked in the trade for donkeys years and TJ works in the trade now...........and we're not wrong.
    Best of luck anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Like others here have said I would change the plates and the rear lights, can't see why you wouldn't get between €10k - €12k if things with the country were better, if you want a quick sell then I can see it going for €10k. The kit on it will put some people off although I have to say I like it, another thing would be the engine size, be prepared to wait.

• Advertisement

Once again thanks everyone for the help, holding the price the time being i'll be taking a full set of new pics over the weekend hopefully. Will even take the pink matt out, :)

Advertisement