Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

When playing soccer..

• 18-04-2008 12:58am
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭

... with mates etc, there are always the same style players in every group.
    e.g. The bloke that will never pass to anyone,
    the bloke with the hard hitting shots,
    the bloke that love getting tackles in,
    etc....

For myself I used to be a good runner and prety decent passer......
    but over the last while I'm the tackler/blocker that people hate to come up
    against.

What type of player would you be??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

hmmm... i'm not sure. i've always been more of a utility man in any competitive teams I've played in. When i was younger i used always be the strong and quick versatile defender, the guy the manger would tell to just mark the other teams best player out of the game. However I've discovered that despite any real dribbling skills and the lack of a decent shot I can actually be a decent enough goal poacher, in 5 a sides I like to stay wide and get behind the defence with my pace. probably best compared with Djibril Cisse if i'm honest. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

I love the oul tackles. My passing in the air is quite good also, I have a nice curve.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

I'm the 'run and get the ball back off the opposition and pass it off' guy.

I like to think I'm a very undervalued member of the group.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I'll throw myself into any tackle. Love dishing it out. Good in the air and can spot a pass pretty well. Lacking a lot of pace though. Centre half or defensive midfielder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

I'm just so versatile, one minute I could be dribbling, the next I could be playing a defence splitting pass. I am what they call the complete player.:D

I used to be a hogger of the ball, with had very little skills, but relied on my running. Then as I got slower(don't know why the hell this happened) or others caught up with me I developed a better first touch and pass. I was class in 'dog fights' as in getting out of an area where there might be many players around.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I read the game, so I play pretty well either as a sweeper/full back or in the hole behind the strikers. Not really a great passer over long distances, but I see the pass so that works out sometimes :) I strike the ball pretty cleanly. I'm pretty good at using my body aswell. I do have one admirable trait though, I hate having the ball, so I always pass when the pass is on :)

That said, I think like everyone who plays soccer, I'm undervalued in my team :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Back when I could run I guess I would have been the dude who works his balls off and wants it but is essentially rubbish - a Kevin Kilbahne type.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

I play striker for my local club, new team i joined they start me on the right of midfield.

im told sometimes i dont pass :mad:.Have got better at this though.( Nothing worse than the player who never passes) Im usually told to run on to through balls and try and beat the odd player if theres not much on.

me and my mates always compare eachother to the style of professional players. Im usually told im like joe cole/michael owen sort.

Cant head the ball to save my life and my shot is pretty inconsistent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I'm the really unfit guy who's knackered after 2 minutes. I can't shoot for ****, so on account of my left-footedness I'm usually found at left-back!

(Only sometimes left back in the dressing room)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

goalkeeper :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

I have often been compared to the one and only Gary Breen.

I think that's description enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Ever see that lad in the wrestling...Umaga.

that would be me :D

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Heh, check out my Location

<----

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I'm the bloke who's lying on the ground, panting and wheezing :(

DaveMcG wrote: »
    I'm the bloke who's lying on the ground, panting and wheezing :(

I think he meant on the pitch, not in the showers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,304 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

im deceptively slow and one paced

i have an eye for a pass but its normally 50/50 if i make it or not

ive a decent strike on me but rarely get in position to take one

ive poor fitness and im lazy

but at least im honest!! :D

well thats my assessment from my 'performance' last night, first game of footy in years, im 27 and thought i was reasonably fit!

far cry from my days playing upfront for adamstown with kevin doyle!

i was ****e then of course but i had confidence, fitness and a decent strike so i thought i was ok :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Xavi6 wrote: »
    I think he meant on the pitch, not in the showers

Funny guy :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

Slow, decent in air, agressive and a long throw in. Probably why i am a centre back or defensive MF. Pretty much a Mick McCarthy clone, but he has a better first touch!!

Fact is though, that when i play football i never hold back or leave anything behind (except the odd tooth) and I absolutely love playing footie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Dun laoire

Without doubt tough tackler. No show boating here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭kev_s88

i have a talent for reading the opposition players and being able to read the game very well.so i tend to hang back in the defensive/midfield role.watch everyone

i loke to be the one hanging back and barking out the orders to the defense and the more attacking midfielders for them to get back.im the midfield general i suppose

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

I tend to run around like headless chicken for the first half an hour getting stuck into everyone and getting involved.

After that though I am just wrecked and end up playing the sweeping role!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

if you're playing it right then centre half and centre midfield are the two most important positions on the pitch. If you have strong players and communicaters in those positions you can build a team around them.

In my glory years I was compared to a slightly less ginger, far less talented Paul Scholes with a hint of Roy Keane. As I got on in years and my body couldn't hack the box to box job anymore I moved upfront with one team and back to centre half with another.

I'm the guy that spends 90 minutes talking to the players around him, sees what's going to happen before it does and makes that vital run to score the only goal, or that last ditch tackle to keep the opposition out. I'm deadly I am!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I've got great movement and am thus regularly able to make myself available for a pass. I've also got pretty good vision for picking out runners. Thus I like to play as a support striker or on the left wing - as I'm right footed, and I don't have the fitness to be taking on the full back on the outside. I guess I'm a bit like Robert Pires, except...

My second touch is always a tackle, I can't shoot, I can't head, I can't finish, I can't cross, I can't take a corner or a free-kick, I don't understand the throw-in rule and I'm usually knackered after 2 minutes. However on the plus side I don't dive like Pires, and I don't have a goatee. So that's something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Jesus, we've a lot of defensive options here on boards. Everyone is a centre half or defensive midfielder! Myself... Gael Clichy without the defensive quality, I like to get forward, not back so much. Laziness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,304 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

when people get older they move back, less running

i was always a cf when i was young (er)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

cson wrote: »
    Jesus, we've a lot of defensive options here on boards. Everyone is a centre half or defensive midfielder! Myself... Gael Clichy without the defensive quality, I like to get forward, not back so much. Laziness.

Yea just think about the positions with the least running and that's where you will find the lazy bastards who spend all day sitting on their ass on boards..!!

Surprised Des hasn't been in recruiting yet! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

I would be the most important / keg member of the team.

The water boy/The lad that get the ball back when it goes over the wall
    Just try have a good game without me , can you imagine all the pre-madonnas that once had trails for Torquay or Scunthorpe having to retrieve their own ball :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

I would be the John Terry or Vidic style centre half, ie throw your body on the line all the time, not much pace but better positioning and some bite in the tackle:)
    Going forward I'm not particulary good, poor dribbling, average passing and prone to losing the ball unless I keep it simple, can fairly blast the ball towards the net from range though :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

Im the guy who runs his hole off tackling and starting up the moves again before steamrolling into the box for the ball back that the miserable git who dosent pass the ball wont give........
    I've a decent shot/pass but il know after having 2shots if its my day or not and will lay off the ball if possible if its not my day....unlike some people i play with!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭cm2000

im a very good 5 a side player but average 11 a side player. im quite quick and run at people, cut inside from the wing and can shoot, but once i play 11 a side my passing and first touch get exposed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

hmmm... i'm not sure. i've always been more of a utility man in any competitive teams I've played in. When i was younger i used always be the strong and quick versatile defender, the guy the manger would tell to just mark the other teams best player out of the game. However I've discovered that despite any real dribbling skills and the lack of a decent shot I can actually be a decent enough goal poacher, in 5 a sides I like to stay wide and get behind the defence with my pace. probably best compared with Djibril Cisse if i'm honest. :o

haha! brilliant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Surprised Des hasn't been in recruiting yet! :p

hes making a list

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

I'll throw myself into any tackle. Love dishing it out. Good in the air and can spot a pass pretty well. Lacking a lot of pace though. Centre half or defensive midfielder.
    ditto.

lack of pace is a killer these days :( Generally hurting badly after a astro session.

stupid no slide tackle rule sucks too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

As soon as I saw this thread I wanted to see this response...!
    I'm just so versatile, one minute I could be dribbling, the next I could be playing a defence splitting pass. I am what they call the complete player.:D

I used to be a hogger of the ball, with had very little skills, but relied on my running. Then as I got slower(don't know why the hell this happened) or others caught up with me I developed a better first touch and pass. I was class in 'dog fights' as in getting out of an area where there might be many players around.

Me, I'm the fat bastard who's deceptively bad in the air despite being relatively tall. Love lobbing people in five a side but it only happens about twice a year. Mad for the tackles too.
    KdjaCL wrote: »
    hes making a list

kdjac

Checking it twice?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

I was the defender people hated coming up against. Not afraid to tackle and very good at reading people's intentions. Was also known to score a few crackers with my trusty left boot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

Started playing indoor footie last week first time I had played in 5 years
    nearly died
    this week was a lot better in fitness terms died 10 mins form the end of an hour game rather than 30
    still slightly limited in that
    ive
    no pace
    no acceleration
    no touch
    no composure
    my main strategy is just to stay back and get in oppositions way as much as possible and then give it to someone who can play football
    Im a dirty player but its more due to mistimed challenges rather than a nasty streak.
    My odd venture into the opposition half usually results in a post being hit
    Im still tecnicaly useless but ahve enjoyed getting back into playing footie and wonder why I didnt do it sooner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

Very fast, skillful and strong running with the ball. Good at beating players and setting up others

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Slow but skilfull. Lets use Riquelme as an example... Exept im slower than Riquelme.

Likely to crack one from long range or slice the defence but dont expect me to go get the ball back. Love a trick aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

ive
    no pace
    no acceleration
    no touch
    no composure
    my main strategy is just to stay back and get in oppositions way as much as possible and then give it to someone who can play football
    Im a dirty player but its more due to mistimed challenges rather than a nasty streak.
    My odd venture into the opposition half usually results in a post being hit
    Im still tecnicaly useless

Still playing for Pats? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Hero Of College

jonny24ie wrote: »
    ... with mates etc, there are always the same style players in every group.
    e.g. The bloke that will never pass to anyone,
    the bloke with the hard hitting shots,
    the bloke that love getting tackles in,
    etc....

For myself I used to be a good runner and prety decent passer......
    but over the last while I'm the tackler/blocker that people hate to come up
    against.

What type of player would you be??

I'm the hustler. I cover ground and harry the opposition. In other words, I'm the sh!te guy on the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 499 ✭✭Beanmachine

The roy Keane of the team i was captian of my team from under 8's to under 17's then left cuz the father was putting too much pressure on me!! More of a gary neville now slow right back can still pick a pass tho!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭scruff321

im a bit of a masherano type (except im a better passer!) with a streak of hleb in me ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Only play 5 a side but my role has being similar to Rio Ferdinand. I'm a good defender but I think I'm better then I am with the ball so go on stupid runs sometimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    As soon as I saw this thread I wanted to see this response...!

Me, I'm the fat bastard who's deceptively bad in the air despite being relatively tall. Love lobbing people in five a side but it only happens about twice a year. Mad for the tackles too.

Checking it twice?

I cherish these threads...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

I have...

No dribbling skills (I kick and rush)
    No pace (but I am one of the fastest players you'll see over 1 - 2 yrds ;))
    No standout shooting skills.

But, I can...

Pick a pass long or short.
    Tackle very well.
    Very composed in defence :)

And lastly...

I am insanely good in the air (srsly) - think Kevin Davies or Hyypia-esque.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

haha! brilliant

:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

When I played regularly I was a hard working player and a good passer and tackler. I would always try and get back to defend and hated 'the guy who would never pass'. I was never good in the air though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement