Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

10 Best Signings of the Season

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

If I pull you by your left arm, to the left, how do you fall on your right side???

are you trying to argue that having your arm pulled isn't a foul? I suggest you read up on the rules of football.
    Hleb made the most of it. Just cause Baldy Liam jumped over the fence in the gantry and had a sh!t fit doesnt mean that Babel dived in the box at Anfield.

hmmm, no dunphy this time?
    This RTE inspired ANTI LFC nonsense has got to come to and end.

hmmm, conspiracy theories is that way ->
    They got beat 4-2. Just like the Germans, even if Hursts shot hadn't crossed the line he still burned on down the field and got a 4th.

again I ask, where is the relevance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Hero Of College

Oh, I agree with Wenger. Any contact in the box and its a penalty. That doesn't mean Arsenal would have scored theirs. Reina saves penalties. And by Wengers own logic, the Babel incident was a definite penalty. So lets cut the **** about lucky liverpool, shall we.

RTE are most definitely not the biggest LFC fans out there. Peter Collins, Daragh Maloney, Dunphy....Houghton...Rubbish the lot of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Oh, I agree with Wenger. Any contact in the box and its a penalty. That doesn't mean Arsenal would have scored theirs. Reina saves penalties. And by Wengers own logic, the Babel incident was a definite penalty. So lets cut the **** about lucky liverpool, shall we.

and Van Persie [insert other names] scores them. are you still denying it was not lucky for that penalty to have been denied?
    RTE are most definitely not the biggest LFC fans out there. Peter Collins, Daragh Maloney, Dunphy....Houghton...Rubbish the lot of them.

again, why is this relevant to the thread topic at hand?

lets go back on topic shall we? Bakary Sagna; best signing of the season.

and Van Persie [insert other names] scores them. are you still denying it was not lucky for that penalty to have been denied?

again, why is this relevant to the thread topic at hand?

lets go back on topic shall we? Bakary Sagna; best signing of the season.

Sagna= good signing but injury prone. And he needs a haircut.

Penalty decisions have nothing to do with luck. Its not bad luck to get robbed. Its called being ROBBED. We didnt get shafted cos we already got shafted by a man called Robbed In Style in the game against Chelsea. Such is how the cooky crumbled. You need to bop on and bop right back into the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Why is this a debate? there has been one outstanding Signing this season and it's been Bakary Sagna. of all the signings made this year arguably he has had the most impact on his club, and of all the players on that list frankly he's ahead of them on the road to being labelled 'world class' (at least for his position), at a fraction of the price too.

best signing of the season. no question for me.

QFT. He has just come straight into the team and has been solid as a rock all season, him and Clichy are the best pair of fullbacks in the league.
    Sagna= good signing but injury prone. And he needs a haircut.

Ok now i know you're talking out your gee, this is the first injury he's gotten and he has played in 40 games this season in all competitions so far

playa3 wrote: »
    QFT. He has just come straight into the team and has been solid as a rock all season, him and Clichy are the best pair of fullbacks in the league.

Ok now i know you're talking out your gee, this is the first injury he's gotten and he has played in 40 games this season in all competitions so far

I like Sagna. But the beads have got to go. Him, Diarra, Skrtel...three of the best defenders signed this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭LuckyCharms

The best signings this season are Santa Cruz and Sagna by quite a bit.

First off i am a united fan yet i have no idea why all this crap about our signings being compared to torres is even relevant. The fact is Torres has been terrific for liverpool this year, definately more vital for liverpool then any of our signings have been for us. Without Torres who knows where liverpool would in the league currenlty.

As for the united signings, they are have good, nothing spectacular. People go on and on about how good the signings have been but common, they all cost in the region of 15 mil each, they would want to be good.While anderson has claimed most of the plaudits and rightly so since the guy has settled like a duck to water and got stuck in immediately, Nani is starting to show signs of the potential he had while playing in portugal,Tevez has done just what he done at West Ham so no surprises there, he has contributed alot of key goals for us.Hardgreaves season is a right off really due to his ongoing injury issues, next season will jugde him.

Anyway My best signings would be like this startin with No.1
    Sagna
    Santa Cruz
    Muntari
    Torres
    Zarate
    Anderson
    Mascherano
    Petrov
    Diarra
    Young

Best signings of the season should have some correlation with regards Fee ,Expected performance and actual performance

The best signings this season are Santa Cruz and Sagna by quite a bit.

First off i am a united fan yet i have no idea why all this crap about our signings being compared to torres is even relevant. The fact is Torres has been terrific for liverpool this year, definately more vital for liverpool then any of our signings have been for us. Without Torres who knows where liverpool would in the league currenlty.

As for the united signings, they are have good, nothing spectacular. People go on and on about how good the signings have been but common, they all cost in the region of 15 mil each, they would want to be good.While anderson has claimed most of the plaudits and rightly so since the guy has settled like a duck to water and got stuck in immediately, Nani is starting to show signs of the potential he had while playing in portugal,Tevez has done just what he done at West Ham so no surprises there, he has contributed alot of key goals for us.Hardgreaves season is a right off really due to his ongoing injury issues, next season will jugde him.

Anyway My best signings would be like this startin with No.1
    Sagna
    Santa Cruz
    Muntari
    Torres
    Zarate
    Anderson
    Mascherano
    Petrov
    Diarra
    Young

Best signings of the season should have some correlation with regards Fee ,Expected performance and actual performance

.....which is why Skrtel makes any top 10 list. He came in from Zenit on his Winter Break so he wasn't even fit to boot. Dropped right in so much so that Carra has comp at CB. I forgot Sagna but with the benefit of HS he is one of the best signings this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

Can't agree with people putting forward Kenwyn Jones. He's been good, but went missing for large parts of the season.

well he's playing in a relegation threatened team, he's not going to play well every week

first season in the premiership too remember

Reading : 1 goal and assist, win 2-1.
    boro: assist, 2-2
    arsenal: goal and assist, lose 3-2
    west ham: 1 goal, lose 3-1
    fulham: 1 goal, draw 1-1
    everton: 1 assist, lose 7-1
    reading: 1 assist, lose 2-1
    bolton: 1 goal, 2 assists, win 3-1
    pompey: 1 assist, win 2-0
    birmingham: 1 assist, win 2-0
    west ham: 1 goal, win 2-1
    fulham: 1 goal and 1 assist, win 3-1

you could argue that without him in the games against reading, boro, fulham, bolton, west ham and fulham, they would not have got the results which got them 14 points. that would have them second from bottom.

he has been immense for them this season and one of their best players
    People like Picarooney are narrow minded

the ironing is delicious

event wrote: »
    the ironing is delicious

Hey!! Thats my Shirt!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Are you related to Mr Alan, by any chance, you seem to have the same trait of annoying fellow Liverpool fans just as much as other fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Mr Alan wrote: »
    good work PHB, wat does Carrick have to do with this thread? nothing.

Torres has undeniably been the signing of the season-value for money is only a tiny fraction of wats important when judging a signing.

but dont let that bother ya. carry on arguing santa cruz is the best signing this year. or talking about Carrick.

You didn't even read my posts did ya?

Jazzy said Torres was signing of the season because of how much he revolutionised Liverpools play compared to them before him. I pointed out, if that was the case, then Carrick would be last years signing of the season.

The only way you can say Torres is the signing of the season is if you look at it purely in terms of who is the best player to be signed this season. I don't think anyone would argue Torres is that.

But any sort of analysis in terms of money, Torres clearly comes behind Santa Cruz and Sagna.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

But any sort of analysis in terms of money, Torres clearly comes behind Santa Cruz and Sagna

What now?
    It would show that Torres was a steal at 20m-odd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

zAbbo wrote: »
    Are you related to Mr Alan, by any chance, you seem to have the same trait of annoying fellow Liverpool fans just as much as other fans.

I'm offended by that, i'm nowhere near as annoying as this new chap!:mad:
    PHB wrote: »
    But any sort of analysis in terms of money, Torres clearly comes behind Santa Cruz and Sagna.

Money doesnt really come into the equation though tbh. i would judge the best signing as being 1. the best player signed in the year, 2. the player who has had most impact in the team.......

Torres and Sagna. Torres pipping him cause attacking players always get the plaudits ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

You didn't even read my posts did ya?

Jazzy said Torres was signing of the season because of how much he revolutionised Liverpools play compared to them before him. I pointed out, if that was the case, then Carrick would be last years signing of the season.

The only way you can say Torres is the signing of the season is if you look at it purely in terms of who is the best player to be signed this season. I don't think anyone would argue Torres is that.

Lets say Torres scores 2 more league goals (which is highly likely).

He will have had the best season of a foreign striker in premiership history. Would you still not call him the signing of the season if that happened?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

1. the best player signed in the year, 2. the player who has had most impact in the team.......

That's just silly. In terms of judging signings, you always have to take into account money. If Torres was signed for 50 million, would he still be the best signing? What if he cost 100 million? Would it still be a great signing?
    Also, Torres hasn't changed Liverpools fortunes much to be honest. They are still at the same level they were last year.
    He will have had the best season of a foreign striker in premiership history. Would you still not call him the signing of the season if that happened?

No. Because he cost 6-7 times more than than a striker who scored only a few goals less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Also, Torres hasn't changed Liverpools fortunes much to be honest. They are still at the same level they were last year.

can i just knock this on the head please?

we are a far far better side than we were this time last year, points tallys etc are the sole indicator of things like that as you well know PHB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Jesus christ PHB..

As for this new eijit.. Will you stop spamming threads?

Mr Alan wrote: »
    can i just knock this on the head please?

we are a far far better side than we were this time last year, points tallys etc are the sole indicator of things like that as you well know PHB.

well not even that, you dont have to look at points tallys to know ye are a better team than last year

• Advertisement

As for this new eijit.. Will you stop spamming threads?

i think he got an internet connection for his 12th birthday yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Tusky wrote: »
    Lets say Torres scores 2 more league goals (which is highly likely).

He's on 22 league goals at the moment is he not? Henry scored 30 goals in 03-04, 27 in 05-06 and RVN scored 25 in 02-03.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Though not in my top 10, I think that Andy Reid has to get an honorary mention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

He's on 22 league goals at the moment is he not? Henry scored 30 goals in 03-04, 27 in 05-06 and RVN scored 25 in 02-03.

Arg, should read 'best first season'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Weren't people saying he wasn't a goalscorer befor he signed? Hehe, and I'm not even a Pool fan!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

the thing you have to consider is this isn't best signing for the money, it's simply best signing, so you have to say torres is a better signing than santa cruz anything else is pretty ridiculous.
    it's like buying a can of dutch gold for a euro or a bottle of erdinger for 3 euro, theres a difference in quality that make the higher purchase price.

• Advertisement
Advertisement