Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are cop shows so unrealistic?

• 18-04-2008 4:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭

I know they need to have some fictional elements to tie up cases in one hour but come on, some are just stupid. Recent examples being:

The Bill: Just saw on this where they ran a property search based on a serial number. Now this can be done OK and very relaible when done but come on, when the hell has anyone been able to tell you the serial number of their phone / laptop / etc? Most people cant even tell you the actual make and model, "Its a black mountain bike", "Uh, its a Dell something or other" Or "Its a Nokia, dont know the model buts its black if that helps". Oh yes sir, your the first person to report a stolen or lost black Nokia in history.

Then theres descriptions and names.

CSI recently, they did a person earch based on first name. First name for ****s sake! Unless the name was Jesus or Satan forget it. I mean imagine trying to find a suspect based on his name being John!!!! how can anyone believe this is possible?

More CSI: Doing a person search and finding him using CCTV because he was the only person in a mall wearing a red jacket, again how anal is that? I could show you 100 people wearing a red jacket in 1 hour on Grafton street.

The Bill: Simple telling someone 'your nicked' then walking out the door with the person leading the way without cuffs. Jesus is it any wonder they run????

The Bill: Every crime with even an ounce of similarity being commited by the same suspect and the same car being around the corner (again)

CSI: Can solve crimes using imaginary forensic science but investigate the entire crime. Take victims statements, question suspects and trample over scenes in their big outdoor boots with no forensic gloves or suits. Contamination anyone????

Oh and all cases being wrapped up without statements, all suspects admitting it and waiting at the scene for you plus everyone working a nice 9 to 5 and patrolling and handling the same areas. Cops openly lieing to criminals about statrements and witnesses and the suspect ignoring his legal advise and admitting it based on this.

Oh so so so many more examples, most from the show of anal investigation abilities, CSI. But I wont go on with examples, just wondering why they dont at least try to be realsitic and more annoying, why people believe them and think were just incompetant when we dont use CSI like skills and techniques.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,890 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Wow cheers for ruining my midweek entertainment :(

For what it's worth, all fictional TV shows are the same. It's not just police dramas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

It's fiction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭ojewriej

Well, if they wanted them to be realistic, three quarters of the shows would be cops filling out the paperwork.

As xavi said, all the shows are like that. My girlfriend and our flatmate have this game, where they compete who can spot more mistakes in the medical shows, like ER or Greys Anatomy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Satan Polaroid

Watch 'The Wire' to see how real police behave :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭jake59

Why? are they all filling out paperwork for every call they go to, while wondering where all the ot is gone, while at the same time chasing their own arses after doing a week of nights while spending at least two days of that week trying to stay awake in court while waiting for their case to be called knowing that they are back in at 10pm to keep the whole world (well, at least their district) safe again??? cool. must watch "The Wire" so.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭metman

I like the Wire. Its probably one of the most accurate portrayals of how street dealing and drugs gangs work. The tactics used by the dealers on the corners and low-rises of the Baltimore show are exactly the same as is used by the dealers where I work.

Its also spot on with its ComStat meetings (my Guvnor has to go to them and get his arse chewed), good cops getting sh*t postings/messed around, and a management more interested in statistics and appearing to fight crime than actually fighting crime.

For instance when the unit is first set up (to investigate a drugs gang) the first question thats asked by one of the Detectives is "who signs the overtime sheet?" Spot on.

Normally I can't watch police shows as my mrs gets the arse when I keep pointing out how unrealistic they are. For instance the Bill now bears as much relation to the Met as Neighbours does. Yep my Superintendant goes out on calls with us all the time and then interviews his own prisoners...... while CID and uniform are always working together like a finely tuned machine :rolleyes: I once saw the guy that plays Sgt Dale Smith at a service station when we were filling up the response car. He was filling up his Porsche 4x4! So the lesson is better to pretend to be a copper than actually be one! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Same reason army programmes (on the rare occassion they're made) are jazzed up - to make them viewable by the general public.

Example being - 'Soldier Soldier'. The first series was fantastic and very realistic.

Second, third and fourth was crap - unrealistic story lines, designer uniforms and 'beautiful' people.

I think the general public have an idea they know what the cops do, the fire & ambulance services and their defence forces so the producers of these show make them to suit their audience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Mutz

It's fiction.

Injured Party: "But Guaaard Ooii've seeeen yis do it on telllly on CSI an'all'in'anyways! - why can't yis do somtin aboouu it"

Garda O'Reilly: " 'Cos love, we're d guards and dis is Ireland"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭FGR

Got to love the mention of Plain Clothes working with Uniform units like a well oiled machine. That only seems to be the case when a dodgy file is moving from downstairs up and back down again. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭metman

Got to love the mention of Plain Clothes working with Uniform units like a well oiled machine. That only seems to be the case when a dodgy file is moving from downstairs up and back down again. ;)

Who said we're not all part of the same team? :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement