Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Culchies in Australia

Options
  • 18-04-2008 6:02am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭

Why do loads of you wear GAA shorts or GAA jerseys when in Australia? Seriously! You may as well hold a big "I'M FROM IRELAND" flag when you walk around. Not to mention that they look absolutely CRAP, especially the shorts which wouldn't look out of place in an early 80s football match.
    Seem to be just as popular or even more popular with Norn Iron culchies too.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Well I can only speak for myself here, but I wear my county jersey as much at home as I do here. Same goes for my City, Barcelona, France, Australia etc jersies. I wear my Dublin shorts training and to the beach. It's a bloody warm country so I'm hardly gonna wear cotton bottoms tucked into socks.

Ever heard of national pride? Ever seen a Kiwi walking down O'Connell St. in an All Blacks jersey? Or an American wearing a New York Yankees baseball cap? I have.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭ifumust82

Yeah but think whats been said here is people get very nationalistic when they go abroad,sometimes over the top.
    Sure if you go to Bondi Junction in Sydney,if its not a hi-vis vest then its a jeresy you see people wear in a pub.I dont think the same people back in Ireland would be wearing jeresys going out on a saturday night.

ifumust82 wrote: »
    Yeah but think whats been said here is people get very nationalistic when they go abroad,sometimes over the top.
    Sure if you go to Bondi Junction in Sydney,if its not a hi-vis vest then its a jeresy you see people wear in a pub.I dont think the same people back in Ireland would be wearing jeresys going out on a saturday night.

You haven't been to Coppers I take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

GAA loving People arent usually my kinda of ppl but i found in oz they were always the ones willing to go for a pint :D and sure if we all dressed the same,itd be a very boring world.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    You haven't been to Coppers I take it.

I dont get what ya mean? :confused:

• Advertisement

I dont get what ya mean? :confused:

Copper Face Jacks (or Slapper Face Cocks as it's affectionately known) is a nightclub in Dublin frequented by off duty Gardai and culchies clad in GAA jersies.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

I like all soccer jerseys but am I not the only one who thinks GAA stuff looks absolutely sh*t???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭Predhead

No I'm with ya BrazilliaN(?)! They look absolute pants!

As for national pride, what's wrong with showing it or having it in your own country? People just don't seem to until they go away, and yes it's very annoying; that 'oirishness' that drips from people when not in the homeland.

Thing is, people don't give a fcuk about things that are going on in their own country until they go abroad and shout about it there.

May have gone off the point a bit there :o

Copper Face Jacks (or Slapper Face Cocks as it's affectionately known) is a nightclub in Dublin frequented by off duty Gardai and culchies clad in GAA jersies.

Ah I see sounds delightful! :D

It oozes class! :pac:

• Advertisement

Predhead wrote: »
    As for national pride, what's wrong with showing it or having it in your own country? People just don't seem to until they go away, and yes it's very annoying; that 'oirishness' that drips from people when not in the homeland.

What's the point in displaying your national identity in Ireland where everyone knows you're Irish anyway?

To be honest, I'd say a lot of people do it abroad to get attention. From experience, foreign ladies love the Irish lads. GAA/Ireland jersey = Attention from women. Simple really.

It's actually a great laugh but only if you're seriously, seriously wasted!

Plus it stays open later than anywhere else.

What's the point in displaying your national identity in Ireland where everyone knows you're Irish anyway?

So you do it so people will know you're Irish? Why do you care? Sorry I just don't get it.
    To be honest, I'd say a lot of people do it abroad to get attention. From experience, foreign ladies love the Irish lads. GAA/Ireland jersey = Attention from women. Simple really.

No offence but it's pretty sad if you've (not you personally) to resort to a GAA jersey to score chicks.
    It's actually a great laugh but only if you're seriously, seriously wasted!

Plus it stays open later than anywhere else.

I must admit I've had a few good nights there!!! :pac:

So you do it so people will know you're Irish? Why do you care? Sorry I just don't get it.

Personally I don't. I usually just wear my Irish/Dublin gear to football trainin to piss off all the English lads on the team! :D

Australia is a country of many nationalities. I see as many Maori's wearing All Blacks jersies as I do Italians wearing Milan jersies as I do.....etc etc. It's not just the Irish over here, it's every ethnic group.
    No offence but it's pretty sad if you've (not you personally) to resort to a GAA jersey to score chicks.

It's certainly not me personally, the missus would kill me!

It's just another pulling tactic I guess. The whole 'Kiss me I'm Irish' buzz.

It's very rare NOT to have a good night there!

Anyway it's not like Ozzy chicks are going to know what a GAA jersey it with ARD MHACA or BAILE ATHA CLIATH written on it. They'll probably just look at you and wonder why you're wearing such a retarded shirt. Surely talking to them and letting them hear your accent is the best way to advertise your foreigness? In this day and age it only seems to be North Americans and people who don't get out very much at all that are impressed by foreigners anyway.

Ah yeah I'm not saying everyone that wears a jersey is just wearing it to show their nationality or that. Of course it's common for people to wear their jersey but I was just getting at people doing it purely so people will know where they're from ya know?! I mean they can wear it cos they like it and they support their country (in sport) but, as I said, it's the people looking for attention that annoy me.

it's just that they're the CRAPPEST looking sports jerseys in the world that annoys me. Reminds me of that commentator who can barely speak audible English, the whitest, pastiest legs on planet, socks around ankles (f*cking why??), my ma's horrible sunday dinners, school the next day, all those horrors are resurrected each time I see one.

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    Surely talking to them and letting them hear your accent is the best way to advertise your foreigness?.

I can vouch for that right there! The accent sure does go a long way over here ;)

You think? Apparently me and my Swedish mate had a couple of aussie birds back at my place on saturday night and I was being really smooth until I drank myself into oblivion with a bottle of whiskey I found for us (we were already hammered) and woke up alone! Meeting them later though so who knows...

it's just that they're the CRAPPEST looking sports jerseys in the world that annoys me. Reminds me of that commentator who can barely speak audible English, the whitest, pastiest legs on planet, socks around ankles (f*cking why??), my ma's horrible sunday dinners, school the next day, all those horrors are resurrected each time I see one.

carlow_jersey.jpg

:p

You think? Apparently me and my Swedish mate had a couple of aussie birds back at my place on saturday night and I was being really smooth until I drank myself into oblivion with a bottle of whiskey I found for us (we were already hammered) and woke up alone! Meeting them later though so who knows...

Nice work my friend,where theres a will theres a way!

ps If I had a dollar for every "top o the morning" & "to be sure to be sure" i'd be a wealthy man

• Advertisement

Nice work my friend,where theres a will theres a way!

ps If I had a dollar for every "top o the morning" & "to be sure to be sure" i'd be a wealthy man

Amen to that. And they laugh after they say it as if I'm going to join in. I just say "Eh sorry we don't talk like that." End of converstaion.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭man1

No I'm with ya BrazilliaN(?)! They look absolute pants!

Thing is, people don't give a fcuk about things that are going on in their own country until they go abroad and shout about it there.

May have gone off the point a bit there :o

I am with you there on that. It makes me cringe seeing all those county jerseys. Why do I never see them in Ireland.

Well I can only speak for myself here, but I wear my county jersey as much at home as I do here. Same goes for my City, Barcelona, France, Australia etc jersies. I wear my Dublin shorts training and to the beach. It's a bloody warm country so I'm hardly gonna wear cotton bottoms tucked into socks.

Ever heard of national pride? Ever seen a Kiwi walking down O'Connell St. in an All Blacks jersey? Or an American wearing a New York Yankees baseball cap? I have.

No being rude here xavi6 but aren't you an Aussie?

man1 wrote: »
    No being rude here xavi6 but aren't you an Aussie?

Only by birth. Only lived here for a short time before moving to Ireland. My parents/family are all Irish and I spent 21 years in Ireland and was fully educated there before moving here. Everything about me is Irish except my place of birth. I do consider myself a dual national though.

Only by birth. Only lived here for a short time before moving to Ireland. My parents/family are all Irish and I spent 21 years in Ireland and was fully educated there before moving here. Everything about me is Irish except my place of birth. I do consider myself a dual national though.

Ah fair enough. Sorry about that. We will let you be Irish then.:)

I can understand why you would wear a jersey and also why lots of other irish people would but what gets me is when you see irish who would never even wear one at home.
    Rugby heads for example who have never even been to a game or even watched a game on tv for that matter but just cause they are in sydney they will wear a meath jersey and ask about results etc to be cool.

The jerseys are horrible anyway.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Sure Orange Face Knacks would be a better term?

Cheers but I reserve the right to change back and forth depending who's winning :p
    I can understand why you would wear a jersey and also why lots of other irish people would but what gets me is when you see irish who would never even wear one at home.
    Rugby heads for example who have never even been to a game or even watched a game on tv for that matter but just cause they are in sydney they will wear a meath jersey and ask about results etc to be cool.

I will agree on that point alright. I'm not the biggest GAA fan, or ever claim to be, but I do have a good knowledge of the game and look out for all the results, watch live games etc. If I had no interest in the game I certainly wouldn't wear the jersey.

Most are rotten alright but I think some county colours look decent i.e. Dublin's sky blue and navy, Waterford's blue and white, Laois, Down. They're workable.

The likes of Carlow, Mayo, Meath, Kilkenny etc are lost causes though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

You have to have a lifeline back to your home country. You would go a bit nuts otherwise.
    Its buying vegemite in Superquinn for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Skittlebrau

Jumpy wrote: »
    You have to have a lifeline back to your home country. You would go a bit nuts otherwise.
    Its buying vegemite in Superquinn for me.

Yeah I'd agree with that. You need something every now and then just to rekindle the connection. A pint of Guinness usually does the trick for me. If I can find a decent one that is.

Personally, I don't have Dublin jersey. Have never worn one at home so I'm not going to wear one over here. Don't have an Irish jersey either although I have had them in the past and wouldn't mind getting one over here. The only jersey I actually own at the moment is an Aussie "Socceroos" (God I hate that word) one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Diamondmaker

Fully agreed the Jerseys look ****e worn in the sun, with jeans and a red face!

When in Rome I believe....The GAA jersys are not built for the heat and just look pants over here........

Advertisement