Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Environmental Charge for waste oil

Options
  • 18-04-2008 8:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭

Just got the bill for my car service which listed an environmental charge of €10 ex VAT for 'Environmental Charge'. I was told this was to pay for waste oil disposal?

Anyone been charged this and is it legal?

Also got charged €6.50 ex VAT 'sundries' was told that this was things like mats (€6.50 for a paper mat?)

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Main dealer?
    BMW?

I presume it is legal. Polluter pays and AFIK they have to pay to shift it!

Sundries is usually a way for throwing everything into one price. You may object but not much you can do but go elsewhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Been charged that by Fiat main dealers for years - its legit. Even punters have to pay to get rid of low amounts of waste oil in some places (Kildare Council areas for instance).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭dylbert

My local Recycling Centre accepts engine oil free of charge.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Most do, but a business cannot arrive along with a few barrels of waste oil for free. Also, it costs to get the barrels to the recycling centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Main dealer - yes.

Although €12 for the priviledge is a bit rich considering they charged me €15 a litre (€60 ex vat for 4 litres)

Mad thing is my car only holds 3.2 litres (Smart)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭dylbert

kbannon wrote: »
    Most do, but a business cannot arrive along with a few barrels of waste oil for free. Also, it costs to get the barrels to the recycling centre.

but could a customer take the old oil away with them and not pay the garage the disposal fee?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

MadsL wrote: »
    considering they charged me €15 a litre (€60 ex vat for 4 litres)
    That's very dear for oil. I pay less than half that (incl VAT) for OEM branded 0W20 fully synthetic in 1L bottles.

If you really want it done in a main dealer there's nothing to stop you supplying your own oil, and taking away the old oil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭IrishRover

JHMEG wrote: »
    That's very dear for oil.
    I'm guessing that might be the Castrol Edge stuff. It's amazingly expensive alright.

The environmental charge does sound like a nice little earner for them alright.
    Don't know why they couldn't give you the waste oil in the container the new oil came in and let you bring it to your recycling facility if you want. My local one takes waste car and household oil free also.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

It's an EU directive, however, as far as I know they should only be a "reasonable charge" and they shouldn't be making any profit out of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

IrishRover wrote: »
    I'm guessing that might be the Castrol Edge stuff. It's amazingly expensive alright.

The environmental charge does sound like a nice little earner for them alright.
    Don't know why they couldn't give you the waste oil in the container the new oil came in and let you bring it to your recycling facility if you want. My local one takes waste car and household oil free also.
    dylbert wrote: »
    but could a customer take the old oil away with them and not pay the garage the disposal fee?

Don't forget that the garage have removed the oil and are therefore responsible for it's disposal. If they give it to every punter who gets a service I'd say a lot of it would end up in the drains.

Unless your civic centre is close to your house or on a route you usually take it isn't very cost effective to go out of your way to dump old oil, how much is your free time worth?

Also most garages will be getting oil from 40gallon drums, try loading that in the back of your car.:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭King Kelly

Most main dealerships have a contract with a licensed waste disposal company ( I think Atlas Enviromental at the largest) to collect and dispose of bulk waste oil and brake fluids etc. They also collect bins of waste oil filters and of battery's.

The €10 sounds a bit Dublin to me - only €6 in my neck of the woods!

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭kkontour

Some of the newer garages actually run the heating on waste oil, they should be paying you for the oil

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭bonham23

Yes I have been charged this in the past too. They also charge disposal charges for parts too. I've had to pay €15 inc vat for the disposal of a return pipe on the crancase ventilation. like come on home much space would that accupy in a skip :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

King Kelly wrote: »
    Most main dealerships have a contract with a licensed waste disposal company ( I think Atlas Enviromental at the largest)
    I know a mechanic who years ago got paid by Atlas for old oil, then they stopped paying and just collected it for free, and now he has to pay them €230 a drum to take it away.

They filter it/clean it and 90% of it is sold to the ESB and burned in power stations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭IrishRover

JHMEG wrote: »
    I know a mechanic who years ago got paid by Atlas for old oil, then they stopped paying and just collected it for free, and now he has to pay them €230 a drum to take it away.

They filter it/clean it and 90% of it is sold to the ESB and burned in power stations.
    Someone along the line is obviously making a lot of money out of this "environmentalism" lark.

Point taken about the impracticality of giving each customer back their few litres of waste oil by the way, Del2005.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,194 ✭✭✭jos28

Slightly off topic but does anyone know where to get plastic oil drums to take waste oil to the recycling depot. I used to get them from a local restaurant/greasy spoon but they put their used cooking oil back into them now. 2 mechanics in my house so there's gallons of the stuff to get rid of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭Spit62500

jos28 wrote: »
    Slightly off topic but does anyone know where to get plastic oil drums to take waste oil to the recycling depot. I used to get them from a local restaurant/greasy spoon but they put their used cooking oil back into them now. 2 mechanics in my house so there's gallons of the stuff to get rid of.

I put it into the containers that the new oil came in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

jos28 wrote: »

If you get a chance, go to an EX-army surplus place (not clothing) and they have great sealable plastic jerry cans for water. I bought about 5 of these a few years ago - great for petrol, diesel, 2 stroke petrol, and for holing water oil before of desposal - cost maybe €10 to €12euro ea......great to have and have little chains that attach the screw caps so you'll never loose em.

RE; Oil disposal - I know a guy who goes to Garages and takes away their waste Oil for Free. He has a industrial burner in his garage that heats his BIG house - he has free heating all year round.........NO BS!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,194 ✭✭✭jos28

If you get a chance, go to an EX-army surplus place (not clothing) and they have great sealable plastic jerry cans for water. I bought about 5 of these a few years ago - great for petrol, diesel, 2 stroke petrol, and for holing water oil before of desposal - cost maybe €10 to €12euro ea......great to have and have little chains that attach the screw caps so you'll never loose em.

RE; Oil disposal - I know a guy who goes to Garages and takes away their waste Oil for Free. He has a industrial burner in his garage that heats his BIG house - he has free heating all year round.........NO BS!

Cheers
    Thanks for the info. Never thought of going to Ex Army stores.
    I believe you about the central heating oil. I read somewhere that you can throw used engine oil into your heating tank as long as you don't exceed an 80/20 mix.

Advertisement