Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buggy puncture repair

Options
  • 18-04-2008 8:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭

I am using an Out'n'About 360 nipper but it got a puncture in one of the wheels the other day. Now I could fix it but I am looking for a permanent solution to this to avoid a repeat incident. Pushing two 18 pounders up a long steep hill with only two wheels was NOT fun. I have filled the offending tyre with Tyre Weld currently but this is a temporary foam which dissolves and so it will be flat again in a day or two.

Does anyone know of a more permanent solution which the tyre can be filled with premanently. I have come across a "Slime Tyre Sealant" on ebay and baby days direct which looks like apossibility but I was wondering what other people use to avoid punctures in buggies.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Run flats for buggies? Never heard of it tbh. Can you replace the wheels with a solid tyre? How often do you get punctures. How much of an issue is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭High&Low

Just buy a puncture repair kit from a bike shop. Pretty easy to do, check the inside of the tyre to make sure there are no thorns or little peices of glass that will cause a puncture to recur.

Foam is very temporary.

There is no way to avoid punctures other than not intentionally pushing them over broken glass etc... No buggies are going to be safe from punctures if you take them off-road.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Yeah can fix a puncture and have a kit but want to avoid future punctures using something like this:

http://www.slime.com/category_3_Tire_Sealant.html

It is a twin buggy and if I hadn't been around when it happened, the wife would have been stranded therefore the need to avoid future incidents.
    I know it is possible but just trying to find out what product people may have used.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

http://www.tamba.org.uk/urbandetour.php

Comments about this issue...
    Particular challenges you face ....
    Possible flat trye (not yet experienced) whilst out & about (havent filled
    with slime (no idea where to purchase), and had to purchase my own pump.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭High&Low

Maybe you should try the cycling forum, they would be more familiar with tyre issues and the product you are talking about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

I bring my 3wheeler buggy tyres to the garage and they repair them for me there. The puncture kits were brutal IMO.

Best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 xtrasolid

Liquifill is like slim sealant but our compound in high grade and will be better suited to your application, other oiption is Zeus Polyfill which replaces air inside your tyres with a polyurethane compound, preventing any further punctures. This last option has it down sides, like cracking wheels, possible damage to bearings, but is your cost of downtime is higher than the cost od replacing a wheel every couple of years or bearings, then this sii the best option for you.
    Regards
    Alan

pm for details of website.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

xtrasolid wrote: »
    If you visit my site - www.industrialtyre.eu you will see we have some option to eliminate/prevent punctures on your type of machines. Liquifill is like slim sealant but our compound in high grade and will be better suited to your application, other oiption is Zeus Polyfill which replaces air inside your tyres with a polyurethane compound, preventing any further punctures. This last option has it down sides, like cracking wheels, possible damage to bearings, but is your cost of downtime is higher than the cost od replacing a wheel every couple of years or bearings, then this sii the best option for you.
    Regards
    Alan
    All great for forklifts and that kind of machinery but a person pushing a buggy is not a machine :p
    I just put a new tube in our Phil&Teds when we got punctured last week, cost of €5.
    Make sure that you run good pressure in the tyres it helps to stop punctures occuring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 xtrasolid

Mr Haughey,
    I actually used this material on my own buggy for my kids and it worked a treat - we go walking on a hourse racing grounds and even though it adds a bit of weight we managed fine without any drama - so if you would like to try it i can arrange for trial.
    Our material has the same density as water, therefore will not hinder movement or wieght as we ar talking about samll wheels.It worked for me!!!!!
    :D
    Alan

Advertisement