Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting house, 1st time connection.....

Options
  • 18-04-2008 9:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭

Greetings all,

I'm about to rent a house in Bettystown Co. Meath, and my no. 1 priority will be to get a phoneline and broadband in asap. At present theres no line in the house and as far as I can see there never has been.

So it seems I have to get eircom to install a line (120euro! :eek:), and then sign up for a package with someone. I'm from NI so have no knowledge of the broadband/telecoms market in RoI other than it seems insanely overpriced and an apparently poor service. So who's the least worst provider to go for? Perlico seem to be giving it the Big Push at the minute but my experience in the UK market of companies giving it the Big Push is that the service is immediately oversubscribed and so speed suffers and customer service is overwhelmed. Although cost wise they are a lot more attractive than Eircom who on initial inspection seem to be in dreamland.

Any recommendations re broadband/calls packages would be welcomed. How prompt are Eircom at coming out to install the line too? Coming from the UK (unlimited 8MB broadband £17.99 and a phone for about £15 a month) I can't help feeling like I'm being taken for a ride.:(

Cheers
    Kyle

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Is there any cable broadband available there? Check UPC.ie maybe, that could be a viable alternative to phoneline.

If going for the phone, then check if Smart is available, that's the best price, speed, no cap, no contention you're going to get. Doubt it's available though :( Find a phone number from the area you'll be in (shop, pub etc) and check that. You'll know if it's in the area then. Also do the same on eircom's website, to see if there's DSL in the area at all.

Stay away from Perlico, a bigger shower of cowboys you'll only find in BT. Needless to say, stay away from BT too.

Check the FAQ sticky too for some info on various providers, but, I'm afraid to say that eircom may actually be the least worst one out there. They charge the most, but seem to have the least number of threads about over charging, loosing orders, dropping connection, and so on. Plus, they own all the lines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

check out this link http://www.callcosts.ie/home/default.asp it gives a good idea of what is available costs and requirements and also links to provider websirtes

Advertisement