Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

CarVan/4WD/Light Commercial. Recommendations?

Options
  • 18-04-2008 9:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭

I'm currently driving a 1996, Peugeot 306 car-van.

It's time for a change!

My intention is to buy second-hand. Most of my driving is around Dublin - only very occasionally a long run. So, over 11 years ( I bought it as a one-year-old) I've only clocked 120,000 miles.

Budget-wise, I don't really want to spend more than about €15,000 net of VAT.
    I like the softer ride of a car, so I'm not really taken by 4WD, but I am open to suggestions. I also don't really like the boxy look of vans like the Transit Connect or the VW Caddy and, anyway, they're a bit big for my needs.

So, I guess it's a straight toss up between a car van and (perhaps) a 4WD.

The French car-vans seem to come with the best basic spec. e.g. Air Con seems to be standard, whereas it isn't in the Focus or the Golf. Also, a radio with LW is a must for me. Sad, I know! :rolleyes:

I really like the look of the Landcrusiser SWB commercials. But, they're second hand value is staggering! I'd love something '04 or later, but that seems out of my range.

Anything I should be considering?

Thanks.

D.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

hi mate i have a navara for sale in my sig below if your intrested drop me a pm...

ive been looking at car/vans for the past few weeks... drove a c4 hdi yesterday and didnt like it very much... we have almeara 2.2 dci's here in work the 136bhp high spec versions i took it from limerick to dundalk on wednesday averaged 48mpg and i was fairly moving there great spec all electrics cd player and an OBC which is handy i was looking for a focus van but after spending some time in the almera wouldnt say now...but they have one major fault...there seats suck big time.. the foucs around 03/04 are perfect in my opinion... i had one for 2 days while the navara was in the garage getting serviced... i loved it comfortable with all the extras but not as quick as the almera but id get over this for a bit of comfort...

hope this helps....

oh also on jeeps...i shopped around a good bit before i bought the navara.. i found the navara best for value get a uk spec one and it will have all the extras... my auld man chose the pajero swb commerical over the landcruiser on value for money too... he has a 3.2 one dozzil gussler but nippy and comfortable on long runs...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Dinarius wrote: »
    Anything I should be considering?
    You could also consider an estate car. You'd have the comfort of a car with the practicality of a small van.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Dinarius

Funny you should mention the Pajero as I had been considering that as an affordable alternative to the Landcruiser.

Navara is not to my taste and the loading area is too exposed for my liking. I'm a photographer - not much gear, but very delicate and very costly.

Thanks.

D.

You could also consider an estate car. You'd have the comfort of a car with the practicality of a small van.

Yes, but I have a Renault Laguna for the weekends and, in addition, the tax situation with an estate isn't as good for me as a car-van. I think!

Thanks anyway.

D.

• Advertisement

pajero is a fine jeep... auld man has his since 04 has put stupid mileage up on it and bar tyres and a service all hes had to do is change some stuff in the fuel system but this was due to dirty dozzil and the fuel company covered the cost...

if your looking for space and a commerical would you consider one of them astra estate van things...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

peugeot 307 van hdi
    citroen c4 van hdi
    peugeot expert van hdi????
    i have always thought french firms have made the best car vans/vans. they have loads of goodies and there engines are bullet proof

peugeot 307 van hdi
    citroen c4 van hdi
    peugeot expert van hdi????
    i have always thought french firms have made the best car vans/vans. they have loads of goodies and there engines are bullet proof

My thoughts exactly! :D

That's why my 306 has gone for 11 years without a problem (just got its DOE two hours ago!) and why I'm considering another French car-van.

I really like the Renault Megavan. Now with air-con as standard.

D.

ps..Drifter, wouldn't like an estate van. Too big.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

buy an isuzu trooper.

nothing can touch them, anyone whos had a good one will buy another no question , anyone who drove a bad one had a hard time driving it into the ground.

mmm never considered a megavan....runs off to check carzone...

• Advertisement

Just for the record.........

I bought a 2007 Renault Megavan, 7,000 Kms on the clock, Bluetooth Phone Kit, Demo car only used by the dealer, 2 year guarantee. Truly mint condition.

List is €19,500 + VAT. I got mine for €12,500 + VAT trading in my own 12 year old Peugeot 306 which has just been DOEd and that's the only thing it's got going for it, believe me!

A bargain.

This is VERY definitely, a buyer's market.

D.

Ps. Anyone looking for an SUV/4WD commercial should consider this:

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Ssangyong/Rexton/RX290-Commercial/1014025/

Mercedes engine and chassis. Seems very cheap compared to other Rexton's on Carzone. I didn't see it, but I considered it. However, the Renault was too good to be true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

S.I.R wrote: »
    buy an isuzu trooper.

nothing can touch them, anyone whos had a good one will buy another no question , anyone who drove a bad one had a hard time driving it into the ground.
    Ive said this before..
    Only buy a 3.1 and they stopped making them in late 97 so a 98 is the newest ya get.
    The 3.0 (from 98 on) are brutal! God help anyone that owns them.
    The boss has one, its a 99 with an 03 engine in it and only today, one of the the lads was changing the heater plugs and 3 of them rung in the head, so head had to come off. If that was c customer you wouldn't see apenny change from a grand for that job

Advertisement