Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things to consider when picking a niche

Options
  • 18-04-2008 9:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

If you’re planning on making business websites or blog then there are certain aspects you have to check before you invest any money into it. The very first step is to perform thorough research into it to make sure the competition isn’t too high; if you can find an undeveloped smaller niche it will do better then a massive niche with loads of competition.

Especially in the beginning, once you can get your website ranking for any keyword you want, you can then tackle the bigger more profitable niches and your website won’t drown in the search engines after you have experience. Start small and pick an easy niche in which you can do testing to see what works, what doesn’t and so on then as your confidence grows you can target the harder ones as you have a strategy in place. Once you are confident you have found a niche that has minimal competition you have to look for keywords, you can use keyword suggestion tools to find out what people are searching for in order to get the maximum potential out of your website when you come to monetize it. Also look into a domain name which may be easy to relate to the niche as people will remember it easier when telling other people. You have to ensure you pick a niche that you are interested in, this will make it far easier in the long run when it comes to making unique content for your website. You have to update it on a daily basis with fresh exciting news that people will be keen to read. If you start reading a boring article would you carry on? Didn’t think so, the problem is most people won’t either! If your website is of great interest to you then it won’t feel like a chore when you come to write about it which makes life easier as it’s hard to concentrate and write on boring topics as you will no doubt find out if you haven’t in the past. As well as having a topic you like, it’s best if you can find one that is ‘hot’ on the scene.

A popular niche will take less effort to get traffic; if people are generally interested then they will tell their friends and family who will tell theirs and so on. That’s half of the battle already done, read up on tips & tricks so you don’t make any regrettable mistakes in the future.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Did someone ask for this or is this just you making a statement about things to consider?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭democrates

That looks like sound advice to me FreddyCane, most readers don't have a capital war chest, so they face a "start small, learn and grow" endeavour.

Even though there may be no charge to start a blog etc, the "economic cost" of time spent should be considered, ie, if you had spent that time doing something else would it have yielded better results? In the short term delivering pizzas beats coding or writing for no guaranteed income, but in the medium/long term the good business plan can triumph.

Passion makes a big difference. Many times I've met people who have lots of passion to be successful, but have no great passion for any particular area of activity. Success is a by-product of energy and intellect deployed with passion in a given area.

Other boardsies developing sites will do doubt have met people with 'a great idea for a website' which they whisper in your ear, I've even been offered a generous percentage of shares in an imaginary business if I "take care of the details".
    Fr. Ted wrote:
    TED: No no dougal, you've had a brilliant idea. Hah! But break it down for me a bit more. What would an event celebrating all the different cultures in Craggy Island actually be like?

DOUGAL: What?

TED: What would it involve? I mean, celebration yes but what form could it take?

DOUGAL: Ted I want out.

TED: What do you mean?

DOUGAL: I went too far too soon. I didn't know what I was gettin' into Ted. I didn't know you had to follow a good idea with loads more little good ideas. I'm sorry Ted. I'm going to sleep in the spare room.
    My favourites are the "make it easier to X" category which would require the integration of hoardes of existing corporate and/or public service systems. The legal costs of securing contracts alone make "that sort of thing" prohibitive to shoestring startups, never mind the IT, support, marketing etc.

Ability to execute does not come easy, again, it's the people with a passion for their field who'll deliver the goods. As one of the Smurfit family once put it "every business needs a seller, a counter, and a doer", and Steve Jobs said "a small A team can run rings around a much larger B team". Assembling that A team is easier if you're a good candidate yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

jhegarty wrote: »
    Aye, twas a spam post initially, I just removed the links in it as I thought it might still be an interesting seed for debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

CuLT wrote: »
    Aye, twas a spam post initially, I just removed the links in it as I thought it might still be an interesting seed for debate.

ah, very good , I did wonder about the motive :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭democrates

i responded to spam. Again. My bio title is sorted - "Gullibles Travels".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭The Mighty Ken

Web Strategy for Dummies. It's like going into the Food and Drink forum and advising budding chefs to ensure that the food they cook tastes as good as possible in order to keep their customers happy. It's funny how the Web is still such an infant industry that the most remedial of discussions can still make people sit around, stroking their chins as if a revolution had just happened. :p

Advertisement