Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderdome: purely tongue-in-cheek?

Options
  • 18-04-2008 9:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭

Yeah I know it's the Thunderdome, don't go in there if you can't take it, you'd be a fool to take things personally etc. But what if someone pushed things too far? E.g. by saying to a pregnant woman: "I hope you fall down the stairs and lose the baby"?
    Aren't things supposed to be tongue-in-cheek in there?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

If the OP knew she was pregnant[which was no secret in this case] then it's pretty sick imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

yes. And I think most of the regulars know that - for example, Degsy and Bantam might abuse the crap out of each other, but they are actually good mates on boards now.

Two precedents: Creepingdeath frequently uses the line "I hope you're the next victim of a single-car fatality" - pretty low in my book - but never got banned (I presume because nobody reported the posts)

The other: Degsy got banned for posting a picture, nobody reported that post either but regi felt it crossed the line.

Did rb_ie go too far? yes, he did, IMO. It's ok slagging Quality - she can give as good as she gets - but that's below the belt.

the problem is, the dome is not modded, except by the admins. SO who gets to decide what's below the belt or not? Either the dome needs a mod, or it doesn't. But that mod will have to decide if rb_ies comment was below the belt, or if it's just a thunderdome comment.

edit: ha! thought this was the mods forum. Ah well, nothing I wouldn't say here anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭Marksie

Personally i dont think it is tongue in cheek at times. Its a forum for posters to grind axes and know that they can get away with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The large majority of the time, it is tongue in cheek - the efforts made revolve around humor rather then nastiness, and that's the way it should be.

CreepingDeath is funny; and largely original...he makes an effort to do so. I don't think I've seen anything posted by him that constitutes genuine nastiness, to be honest, nor likewise seen anything posted by him perceived as such.

If someone actually said 'I hope you fall down the stairs and loose your baby'...

...Ban. Over the line, even for the thunderdome. I know I gave in there the whole 'it's the internet' line, but there are thresholds....and you don't have to lay down a guideline for that, it's common sense and courtesy...even on the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,216 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

what did rb_ie post exactly for those of us who arent frequent keyboard warriors in the thunderdome?

• Advertisement

Overheal wrote: »
    what did rb_ie post exactly for those of us who arent frequent keyboard warriors in the thunderdome?
    This.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I have no personal feelings (or bias) about the posters, but I think a line was crossed there yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

It was worse than a line-crossing IMO, its a case of using the Thunderdome to say something pretty underhanded and low knowing well that the place isn't moderated. It went very much against the spirit of the place. Certain posters do seem to like using the Thunderdome for outright bullying and expressing vitriolic points of view. A certain degree of moderation wouldn't go amiss.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

It wasn't funny, its wasn't an insult, it was wish of death to an unborn child, even in Thunderdome thats one step too far imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

cornbb wrote: »
    It was worse than a line-crossing IMO, its a case of using the Thunderdome to say something pretty underhanded and low knowing well that the place isn't moderated. It went very much against the spirit of the place. Certain posters do seem to like using the Thunderdome for outright bullying and expressing vitriolic points of view. A certain degree of moderation wouldn't go amiss.
    See that's the thing. The point of the Thunderdome is to be tongue-in-cheek and very, very darkly humorous, but if you're gonna abuse it and use it to assassinate people without any humour...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭kaizersoze1980

can he be banned for that comment, it is sickening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

cornbb wrote: »
    Certain posters do seem to like using the Thunderdome for outright bullying and expressing vitriolic points of view. .

When somebody (rightly or wrongly) is singled out for a TD 'campaign', things can get out of hand very quickly.

Like I said already though, the remark was just plain wrong.

I've gotten on pretty well with him recently; and yet in the past he's come up on my screen as a bit of a shrewd/bitter ass-hat at times - which isn't to say his posts weren't always somewhat constructive.

That said, there was definitely a line crossed in that thread.

Rb_ie if you attract so much attention in the dome that you've needed to call on attacks like that to otherwise defend yourself in a forum that lives and breathes off the currency of insults and personal abuse... all I can say is you're probably better off staying out of the dome. You aren't supposed to kill eachother or use weapons in Fight Club either.

I'd also give serious thought to a retraction.

Aside from that: The Thunderdome needs a loose charter at the very least. Currently its no-man's land.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

I'm fairly sure rb deserves a chance to say something here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Other than an apology to Quality, can't think of anything else really. It's fairly cut and dry, kaimera.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

kaimera wrote: »

What can he possibly say that would make his comment any less disgusting?

kaimera wrote: »
    And he just has.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Villain wrote: »
    What can he possibly say that would make his comment any less disgusting?
    He could wish her well in her recovery from the stair falling and tell her he hopes that she gets pregnant again soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

I do not visit the "dung heap" that is the TD. Too much like a school playground.

But i do think that if all someone posts is sh1te, ignore them !

i wonder could 6th do me an " Im ignoring rb" Sig ? ? ? ;)

Pighead wrote: »
    He could wish her well in her recovery from the stair falling and tell her he hopes that she gets pregnant again soon.

:rolleyes:

I'm sorry I couldnt help but lol.
    Sherifu wrote: »
    And he just has.

Thats got to be worth something against the countless other muppets on Boards that will drag everything down to the mud until the bitter end... cough Sligobhoy67 cough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

i wouldnt be shocked by this...
    i rarely go near the thunderdome, i think its fairly lame in all honesty.
    maybe there should be a sticky saying "insult away as long as its not death insults" ?
    meh, i wouldnt say ban him. just make up ye're minds whats allowed in thunderdome and what isnt.

edit- fair play to him for posting that response.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

As nasty as a thing it was to say, I honestly thing it was not meant seriously.

I doubt there's a single non trollular person on Boards who would.

It's more a case of mouth (or fingers) engaging before brain.

I think though RB should perhaps apologise for it though.

This is the problem with a non- moderated forum.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    But that's the thing, she isn't pregnant. And she only told him she'd lost a baby AFTER he made the comment.

Insults about being 'failed abortions' etc are thrown around there right, left and centre. Rb's comment only became different to any of those when circumstances were later revealed.
    She is pregnant. Check out her sig.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Malteaser!

But that's the thing, she isn't pregnant. And she only told him she'd lost a baby AFTER he made the comment.

Insults about being 'failed abortions' etc are thrown around there right, left and centre. Rb's comment only became different to any of those when circumstances were later revealed.

She is pregnant. Take a look at her sig.

Too slow Maltyballs.

But that's the thing, she isn't pregnant.
    What about her sig? Lol post deletion.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Yep only noticed after I posted. Hence the not swift-enough deletion

Maybe I'm just naturally morbid or I'm used to hearing worse but I highly imagine the attack wouldn't have had nearly the same degree of impact if not for Quality's specific issue.

Yep only noticed after I posted. Hence the not swift-enough deletion
    Hawks we be. You can't defend saying that to a pregnant woman. I see no apology to Quality so far.
    Overheal wrote: »
    Maybe I'm just naturally morbid or I'm used to hearing worse but I highly imagine the attack wouldn't have had nearly the same degree of impact if not for Quality's specific issue.
    Obviously. Wouldn't carry as much weight otherwise. That's why it's so nasty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Yeah what rb said was bad but with the way the dome is I dont think it is out of place. That said the dome the way it is isa very bad place.

So, what about saying you hope that someone gets raped? Its said in there alot but its said to guys ..... is the idea of a guy being raped seen to be funny because it isnt as common as rape on women?

Dudesss you said TD is about dark humour .. thats not what its about at all. Lolocaust is about dark humour and that place is private.

Posts in the Thunderdome show up in google searches, I would love to know how the Admins of Boards feel about such posts being publically viewable by anyone?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement