Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderdome: purely tongue-in-cheek?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Quality uses the dome alot so I dont think she should really expect an apology, she knows what its like in there and is happy to use it.

Its no secret that myself and rb dont get along on here but he is actually growing on me of late and I dont think he should be made to feel bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

i seem to remember someones "insult" last week was that a user was molested by their father. of course, tongue in cheek. but i didnt see everyone jumping on that post.
    if thunderdome is such serious business,why not give those that use it rules and regulations, instead of jumping on them when the insult is something that insults peoples delicate internet sensibilities.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

He deserves to be banned.he knows what the thunderdome is all about yet he made himself busy reporting posts in there,talking about "newbies,sitebans and Smods".He wants everybody in TT to play by his percieved boards.ie rules yet he was quite happy to break them himself when the going got tough.He knwe damn well quality was pregnant,why else would he have said that about losing her baby?Remember a precedent was set for crossing the line,i was sitebanned for two weeks for posting a picture of somebody taking a dump,fair enough..this was NOT a death wish however on a pregnant woman.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

its the tunderdome people, thats what happens there. It really annoys me when non-regulars start threads complaining about things that are said there.

i think the thunderdome should be like soccer, you need permission to post there , it would stop all these stupid muppet feedback threads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Overheal wrote: »
    Maybe I'm just naturally morbid or I'm used to hearing worse but I highly imagine the attack wouldn't have had nearly the same degree of impact if not for Quality's specific issue.

Considering she's pregnant? That's the whole point. That's like saying to a Jew 'Go die in a concentration camp' and then saying 'Oh, I'm sorry, didn't realize your grandfather died in one'. It doesn't negate the nasty comment in the first place deliberately playing on a sensitive issue.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

was what hew said wrong? yes
    but its the thunderdome's fault its a stupid place that dosen't work.

who needs to be voulenteering to have toilet humor thrown at them while their entire back catalouge of posts is trawlled through by some idiot

rb_ie that was a cheap shot but its clear youn didn't mean it to be any worse that the cornholling insults that get easilly thrown around.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

6th wrote: »
    Posts in the Thunderdome show up in google searches, I would love to know how the Admins of Boards feel about such posts being publically viewable by anyone?

yep: http://www.google.ie/search?hl=en&rls=DBIE%2CDBIE%3A2006-38%2CDBIE%3Aen&q=+kills+the+unborn+&btnG=Search&meta=cr%3DcountryIE

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Considering she's pregnant? That's the whole point. That's like saying to a Jew 'Go die in a concentration camp' and then saying 'Oh, I'm sorry, didn't realize your grandfather died in one'. It doesn't negate the nasty comment in the first place deliberately playing on a sensitive issue.

Why should you negate it though? Isn't that what things like 'The Insult Thread' are all about? See who can go the furthest over the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Why should you negate it though? Isn't that what things like 'The Insult Thread' are all about? See who can go the furthest over the line.
    You mean like sending users death threats?

Pighead wrote: »
    You mean like sending users death threats?

Well there aren't any rules so what's to stop it?

All I'm saying is if behaviour like this is left unmoderated then people can't go complaining when it happens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

cornbb wrote: »
    It was worse than a line-crossing IMO, its a case of using the Thunderdome to say something pretty underhanded and low knowing well that the place isn't moderated. It went very much against the spirit of the place. Certain posters do seem to like using the Thunderdome for outright bullying and expressing vitriolic points of view. A certain degree of moderation wouldn't go amiss.

Agreed. I've been a boards reader for a long time now(despite my low post count) and have always avoided the Thunderdome because of the above. It's no longer a board full of humour and piss taking of one another, but an excuse to ridicule other boards members that you take a disliking to and it seems that taking it a step too far has become the norm there now.

Also, all these so called 'Dome regulars posting essentially saying tough and that's how the dome is need to cop onto themselves. As far as I'm aware, this was not the original intention of The Thunderdome and I don't think wishing the death of a womans unborn child should be allowed even there. EVEN IF IT IS IN JEST!

kyub wrote: »
    Also, all these so called 'Dome regulars posting essentially saying tough and that's how the dome is need to cop onto themselves. As far as I'm aware, this was not the original intention of The Thunderdome and I don't think wishing the death of a womans unborn child should be allowed even there.

While I agree on that, where is the charter to say what in fact it is intended for? And where are the moderators to maintain these original intentions?

That's the underlying problem here.

I have no problem with the content of the dome, I have a problem with the fact that its public.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

I have no problem with the content of the dome, I have a problem with the fact that its public.

what? why? Do you think it reflects on you personally or something?

Before when you asked for feedback on a forum you were proposing, you replied to my doubts by saying "well, the admins seem keen on the idea" or something along those lines. Well, the admins have decided in the case that the dome is open and unmoderated, it's funny you don't use same argument here?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

tbh wrote: »
    what? why? Do you think it reflects on you personally or something?

Before when you asked for feedback on a forum you were proposing, you replied to my doubts by saying "well, the admins seem keen on the idea" or something along those lines. Well, the admins have decided in the case that the dome is open and unmoderated, it's funny you don't use same argument here?
    Well it seems a bit odd that something like the Lollocaust is private but the Thunderdome is public.

Because they are different arguements?

Anyway some of the stuff said in the dome is pretty sick, if the admins ok with that forum and its contents representing one of the faces of Boards well then its their site - I just dont agree.

As for rb, threads about individual posters in there is wrong and can be bullying. I know that thread was started as a joke and then moved to the dome but tbh it should have been locked or delete like the other april fools threads. Last time a thread was started about a Boardsie (Cathy Moran) it was deleted.

Obviously I just give my opinion and I understand thats all it is.

humanji wrote: »
    Well it seems a bit odd that something like the Lollocaust is private but the Thunderdome is public.

Exactly!

• Registered Users Posts: 83,216 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

People stab me for being a yank all the time, and in Real Life people will poke fun of yore ma - that doesn't mean they know a damn thing about me, my political stature or my ma. God love my Step-brother: after his mom died I was still in the habit of your ma jokes :o they slipped out all over the place for a few weeks beyond the incident. Was he offended? No. He was understanding about it. I was mortified enough as it was for sputtering it.

The point being it takes very little to no time and very little to no thought to make-up most insults. He probably just looked at her signature and fired away. Along with the way he was being attacked by the general TD population its understandable to see how the comment would have been made quite frankly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

Xavi6 wrote: »
    While I agree on that, where is the charter to say what in fact it is intended for? And where are the moderators to maintain these original intentions?

That's the underlying problem here.

I do agree that it needs to be moderated. In fact, I think it badly needs to be moderated even moreso than some forums which have several moderators even when the forum is essentially dead.

But the other side of this is that some of the people abusing The Thunderdome are essentially slapping the admins in the face. I think the fact they leave it public is testament to them trusting the boards.ie members to use a bit of cop on and not take it too far. In Degsy's case I think the image he posted did, and in rb_ie's case I think his actual post did. However, it's not quite fair that a small number of 'Dome posters are being singled out here when in fact there's quite a lot of others doing the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

threads about individual posters in there is wrong and can be bullying.

Really?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

I just want to say a few words on the matter...

Yes I am a regular user of the Thunderdome. I enjoy having a laugh and a slag with the lads and girls. I very much take it on the chin and would regularly pm a lot of the folk that I take the piss out of. I'd like to think that the Thunderdome is somewhere to let off steam and take the piss.

As was said before, If you take it serious you lose.

TBH when I saw the post about what he said about me losing my baby, it made my stomach turn. Its obviously a very sensitive issue to me after suffering a miscarraige and being in the early stages of pregnancy again. Raging hormones also dont help.

I have made my feelings clear on this in my reply to rb

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=55693046&postcount=377

Rb knew exactly what he was trying to do when he posted that message.
    An apology at this stage is too late as the damage is done.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

People stab me for being a yank all the time, and in Real Life people will poke fun of yore ma - that doesn't mean they know a damn thing about me, my political stature or my ma. God love my Step-brother: after his mom died I was still in the habit of your ma jokes :o they slipped out all over the place for a few weeks beyond the incident. Was he offended? No. He was understanding about it. I was mortified enough as it was for sputtering it.

The point being it takes very little to no time and very little to no thought to make-up most insults. He probably just looked at her signature and fired away. Along with the way he was being attacked by the general TD population its understandable to see how the comment would have been made quite frankly.

i for one agree with you whole heartedly.
    ive seen this kinda stuff in real life (tm)
    friends mother died and some idiot went on a yore ma tirade.
    wrong, yes, but in all fairness. TD users are always saying outlandish things about peoples parentage. what if it was true, should they be banned?

eh, no.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

This is my personal opinion (not boards.ie's or reflective of administrative policy) but I think if you're going to post in the Thunderdome you're inviting anything and everything on yourself. It is a forum for trolling and flaming. IMO, if you can't stand the heat, get out of the fire.
    Degsy wrote: »
    Remember a precedent was set for crossing the line,i was sitebanned for two weeks for posting a picture of somebody taking a dump,fair enough..this was NOT a death wish however on a pregnant woman.

I'm pretty sure you were banned for posting an image that made the page completely NWS. Words, unless they're in 50 point flashing colours are rarely NWS.

Quality wrote: »
    I just want to say a few words on the matter...

Yes I am a regular user of the Thunderdome. I enjoy having a laugh and a slag with the lads and girls. I very much take it on the chin and would regularly pm a lot of the folk that I take the piss out of. I'd like to think that the Thunderdome is somewhere to let off steam and take the piss.

As was said before, If you take it serious you lose.

TBH when I saw the post about what he said about me losing my baby, it made my stomach turn. Its obviously a very sensitive issue to me after suffering a miscarraige and being in the early stages of pregnancy again. Raging hormones also dont help.

I have made my feelings clear on this in my reply to rb

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=55693046&postcount=377

Rb knew exactly what he was trying to do when he posted that message.
    An apology at this stage is too late as the damage is done.

You play in the dome and got upset. Yes its awful what was said to you but its like when its hard to have sympathy for someone when they die of a drug over dose - look at Kathy French ..... awful that she died but some would say "well she made the choice".

In your case it hit a sensitive spot but if you look at PI you see regulars going unreg'd all the time. We all have problems, I have posted about very personal and traumatic stuff I have been through - I've then had comments made in the dome that were relevent to those situations. Did whoever in the dome mean to hurt me? No, so I got over it.

As for Jules, I apologised and I'm hardly the poster I was then either ;)

CuLT wrote: »
    Words, unless they're in 50 point flashing colours are rarely NWS.

Then why do you think that Lolocaust is private and how what do you think the difference is between the dome and lolocaust? At like the jokes in Lolocaust are obvious jokes.

You play in the dome and got upset. Yes its awful what was said to you but its like when its hard to have sympathy for someone when they die of a drug over dose - look at Kathy French ..... awful that she died but some would say "well she made the choice".

I know you probably don't mean it but someone's bound to accuse you of putting Quality and Katy French in the same bracket.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,216 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

CuLT wrote: »
    This is my personal opinion (not boards.ie's or reflective of administrative policy) but I think if you're going to post in the Thunderdome you're inviting anything and everything on yourself. It is a forum for trolling and flaming. IMO, if you can't stand the heat, get out of the fire.

I've spent my 2 years on B.ie under that assumption.

Still, some loose guidelines should be installed. Even if only to say dont post NSFW shyte (or ****ting in that case) and a warning about what you invite upon yourself by posting there. as it is a poster is left to their own imagination what the boundaries of the Dome are (ironic innit?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

that's a completely different scenario; in your case, it's subconscious and accidental, in rb_ie's case it was a deliberate, calculated attack.

Put it this way - say you had an argument, and you deliberately insulted your deceased step-mother as a low blow. Much worse, no?

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Then why do you think that Lolocaust is private and how what do you think the difference is between the dome and lolocaust? At like the jokes in Lolocaust are obvious jokes.
    I don't even know what Lolocaust is other than a word coined by 4chan pedophiles and, bizarrely, the name of a boards.ie forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

6th is on the money

Its the Thunderdome. It should be self explanatory

There is an air of moral high ground political correctness bullsh1t around here lately.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement