Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderdome: purely tongue-in-cheek?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

that's a completely different scenario; in your case, it's subconscious and accidental, in rb_ie's case it was a deliberate, calculated attack.

Put it this way - say you had an argument, and you deliberately insulted your deceased step-mother as a low blow. Much worse, no?

i didnt see any sig or tagline fiving her history, how was rb to know?

its the same as cancer,rape, and other horrible scenarios.
    you dont know our history, so how can you be sure you arent saying something personal?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

rb meant it in the worst possible way,he's trying now to make it look like it was intended as ajoke.The fact is he never intends ANYTHING as a joke,he utterly lacks a sense of humour,eveybody who disagrees with him is "retarded",or "a tard" or a "newbie".People in the dome have been slagging each other with gay(ooe er) abandon for ages,you might even say they're almost friends who enjoy the banter.It took a post from one of the most arrogant,stuck-up and misogynist posters on the entire site to make this controversy happen. He was not posting in the spirit of thunderdome,he was posting in his mean-spirited,arrogant and thouroughly unpleasant way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Dudess wrote: »
    Yeah I know it's the Thunderdome, don't go in there if you can't take it, you'd be a fool to take things personally etc. But what if someone pushed things too far? E.g. by saying to a pregnant woman: "I hope you fall down the stairs and lose the baby"?
    Aren't things supposed to be tongue-in-cheek in there?

Tbh Dudess, thinks haven't been exactly "tongue in cheek" in the thunderdome for a looong time.
    Marksie wrote: »
    Personally i dont think it is tongue in cheek at times. Its a forum for posters to grind axes and know that they can get away with it.

Agreed. I don't even think it's seen as a tongue in cheek forum by many of the regulars there tbh and I would certainly not consider much of the attacks towards me during that other thread to be "tongue in cheek". A lot of it was personal abuse, plain and simple but it's the thunderdome and that's how things have gone in there for quite a while now.
    Dudess wrote: »
    See that's the thing. The point of the Thunderdome is to be tongue-in-cheek and very, very darkly humorous, but if you're gonna abuse it and use it to assassinate people without any humour...

Indeed, may have been the original intention but it's surely not anymore.
    kaimera wrote: »
    I'm fairly sure rb deserves a chance to say something here

Ty Kaimera.
    Nerin wrote: »
    just make up ye're minds whats allowed in thunderdome and what isnt.

I agree. Though, I'm certainly not going to use the defense of not knowing where the line is, despite there not being one. Imo, she was attempting to get me going, I attempted to get her going, battle of the insults really. I certainly hadn't seen any "tongue in cheek" attempts at this, it was more attempts to sting me. I'm aware Quality can give as well as she can take and as I've said, I didn't know the history behind it and obviously would never have made such a comment had I known it.

I have to make it clear that I was not serious with that post though, I'm not the kind of person to wish such a horrific thing on another human being. Those who know me could certainly vouch for that.
    Nernin wrote:
    edit- fair play to him for posting that response.

Ty.
    SDooM wrote: »
    As nasty as a thing it was to say, I honestly thing it was not meant seriously.

Indeed it wasn't.
    SDoom wrote:

I think though RB should perhaps apologise for it though.

Have already done so both publicly and privately.
    Overheal wrote: »
    Maybe I'm just naturally morbid or I'm used to hearing worse but I highly imagine the attack wouldn't have had nearly the same degree of impact if not for Quality's specific issue.

Indeed, but it is how it is I suppose, can't really speculate on how things would be had the circumstances been different
    6th wrote: »
    Yeah what rb said was bad but with the way the dome is I dont think it is out of place. That said the dome the way it is isa very bad place.

Indeed. It's not "light hearted", "tongue in cheek", "dark humour" etc in there anymore. It's purely a place to try and insult eachother however possible.
    6th wrote:
    So, what about saying you hope that someone gets raped? Its said in there alot but its said to guys ..... is the idea of a guy being raped seen to be funny because it isnt as common as rape on women?

Do you know if it has ever been said to a woman in there?
    6th wrote:
    Posts in the Thunderdome show up in google searches, I would love to know how the Admins of Boards feel about such posts being publically viewable by anyone?
    Agreed. I think with the current nature of the forum it most certainly puts Boards in a bad light to a browser coming off Google.
    Quality uses the dome alot so I dont think she should really expect an apology, she knows what its like in there and is happy to use it.

She got one anyway
    6th wrote:
    Its no secret that myself and rb dont get along on here but he is actually growing on me of late and I dont think he should be made to feel bad.

Ah 6th, there's no bad air between me and you, I've always just considered it a bit of craic/humorous rivallry or whatever and hope you'd view it as similar.
    i seem to remember someones "insult" last week was that a user was molested by their father. of course, tongue in cheek. but i didnt see everyone jumping on that post.
    if thunderdome is such serious business,why not give those that use it rules and regulations, instead of jumping on them when the insult is something that insults peoples delicate internet sensibilities.

I'm not even a thunderdome regular, but I know what I took in that other thread and as a consequence felt that literally anything is a goer. I know I gave quite equally but to see it being dragged into another thread after an Smod had locked it...
    rbd wrote: »
    was what hew said wrong? yes
    but its the thunderdome's fault its a stupid place that dosen't work.

I agree. It certainly used to work but it has gone to shít lately, although most of the regulars there seem to be quite happy with it as it gives them the freedom to say pretty much whatever they want to a person and use "It's the thunderdome!!" as an excuse for it.
    rbd wrote:
    rb_ie that was a cheap shot but its clear youn didn't mean it to be any worse that the cornholling insults that get easilly thrown around.

Thank you for realising this.
    kyub wrote: »
    It's no longer a board full of humour and piss taking of one another, but an excuse to ridicule other boards members that you take a disliking to and it seems that taking it a step too far has become the norm there now.

Also, all these so called 'Dome regulars posting essentially saying tough and that's how the dome is need to cop onto themselves. As far as I'm aware, this was not the original intention of The Thunderdome and I don't think wishing the death of a womans unborn child should be allowed even there. EVEN IF IT IS IN JEST!

Agreed. However, where should the line be drawn? I mean, sure enough what I said was a pretty vicious comment when taking in a context I didn't mean it to be taken, particularly since I wasn't aware of the history, but what is "too far" in TT? After having put up with pretty callous comments for 6 pages (40 per page) I certainly felt that the line was still a distance away with that comment. However, I wasn't seeing it in a serious light and that could have been my downfall on that one. So, should some comments be taken more seriously in TT than others? Again, I've no idea.
    I have no problem with the content of the dome, I have a problem with the fact that its public.

Agreed. I think either make it private and have whoever wants access to accept that anything goes in it, or leave it public and put in some form of rules as it's not working as it currently is.
    As for rb, threads about individual posters in there is wrong and can be bullying. I know that thread was started as a joke and then moved to the dome but tbh it should have been locked or delete like the other april fools threads. Last time a thread was started about a Boardsie (Cathy Moran) it was deleted.

Indeed, I think that thread dedicated to me was one of the longer lasting individual aimed thread (apart from the Le Rack one, which as we saw was deleted). I was ok with it, I'm pretty thick skinned and I can certainly give what I take, but to someone less thick skinned, or perhaps someone newer to internet fora, it could be a very bad experience.

Anyways, quite a few topics springing up from my slip up. I think I've covered it in TT and here but I'll post more if anything comes to mind, which I've no doubt it will.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

to be honest, it was set up to allow people to be morons and insult each other.
    hence the name.

if you go in there and play, dont look for kid gloves. it may be all fun and games, but it can also be nasty.

if Rb gets banned for hurting someones feeling, then thats a pretty big precedence to set, becuase i'll be banning every second poster for upseting me with their stupidity.

wasnt a nice comment, but maybe the poster wont go in there any more and save herself from being insulted.

oh, and for anyone that thinks creepingdeath is actually humourous, he isnt.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

You play in the dome and got upset. Yes its awful what was said to you but its like when its hard to have sympathy for someone when they die of a drug over dose - look at Kathy French ..... awful that she died but some would say "well she made the choice".

Cocaine addict model dies of an OD, Someone wishes an unborn child to die.
    WTF 6th????

You are saying, Quality 'made the choice' to have to bear a groteque statement like that?

Human decency went out the window with Rbs post and thats what the gripe is here, not that she brought it on herself. It was fair game up to that point then, Rb was way below belt.

• Advertisement
  • Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

I think this is a case of someone being offended who should have known that there was a high chance of being so offended.

It seems to me the comment wasn't actually an expression of a desire that someone should actually fall down a staircase and lose a baby. What was said was that somebody was such an [insert insult] due to their genes, that they should never procreate. An old joke said in a crass manner perhaps but a joke essentially nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,220 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

that's a completely different scenario; in your case, it's subconscious and accidental, in rb_ie's case it was a deliberate, calculated attack.

Put it this way - say you had an argument, and you deliberately insulted your deceased step-mother as a low blow. Much worse, no?

hmm.

edit: I think you're making the assumption there that it was calculated. Need examples of 'calculated' attacks on boards.ie? Have a read of thos 'calculated' PMs Cheesedude boasted about sending to Marksie. Some real genius in there. Srsly. Posts can be equally as subconcious and accidental as spoken word: I have a couple posts in PI that got me banned the other week, that can attest to that.

If I was having an argument with my step brother and I attacked my late step mother while doing so: that would be entirely different - because I know him personally and I knew her personally; both for about 10 years. In comparison Quality has been on board only since November and made just over 1.4k posts - I don't care how you swing that they are truly different degrees of severity.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Degsy wrote: »
    rb meant it in the worst possible way,he's trying now to make it look like it was intended as ajoke.The fact is he never intends ANYTHING as a joke,he utterly lacks a sense of humour,eveybody who disagrees with him is "retarded",or "a tard" or a "newbie".People in the dome have been slagging each other with gay(ooe er) abandon for ages,you might even say they're almost friends who enjoy the banter.It took a post from one of the most arrogant,stuck-up and misogynist posters on the entire site to make this controversy happen. He was not posting in the spirit of thunderdome,he was posting in his mean-spirited,arrogant and thouroughly unpleasant way.

And the post directed at rb, where they all in the sense of fun that is the dome or was he the focus of some pretty nasty crap?

Also the fact you post as above with personal abuse outside of the dome shows that its not about being funny - you just like to be nasty.

Huggles wrote: »
    You are saying, Quality 'made the choice' to have to bear a groteque statement like that?

Actually: yes. By posting in the Thunderdome and insulting others/'playing the game' I think at the most basic level thats an invitation for anyone in there to 'do their worst' to you. And to be honest I don't think its anywhere near the stage of imaginable worsts.
    6th wrote:
    And the post directed at rb, where they all in the sense of fun that is the dome or was he the focus of some pretty nasty crap?

Also the fact you post as above with personal abuse outside of the dome shows that its not about being funny - you just like to be nasty.

funny I was thinking the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Its true that whoever posts in the Thunderdome should expect to recieve what they give. But rb's post dove to a new low, no-one else was delivering such low-blows. His post was humourless, calculated and very personal.

The whole "you shít-eating cancerous puss-filled blahdy blah" shtick of the TD can get boring sometimes, but it is done with a good sense of humour, everyone knows what to expect and the regulars know where to draw the line even where no rules exist.

The point is, rb's post dispensed with all that, it doesn't matter that he was nasty, it was a proverbial kick in the nuts when the usual spirit of the Thunderdome is a boxing match with gloves on. It brings a new level of bullying to the TD, its just not funny.

• Advertisement

Xavi6 wrote: »
    I know you probably don't mean it but someone's bound to accuse you of putting Quality and Katy French in the same bracket.

No I didnt mean it like that but if people take it that was they should consider hurtful comments and the dome to be the drug.

cornbb wrote: »
    Its true that whoever posts in the Thunderdome should expect to recieve what they give. But rb's post dove to a new low, no-one else was delivering such low-blows. His post was humourless, calculated and very personal.

Exactly the point I was trying to make.

No I didnt mean it like that but if people take it that was they should consider hurtful comments and the dome to be the drug.

yes but there has to be SOME level of human decency remaining and there was till the kid was brought up.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Quality wrote: »
    I just want to say a few words on the matter...

Yes I am a regular user of the Thunderdome. I enjoy having a laugh and a slag with the lads and girls. I very much take it on the chin and would regularly pm a lot of the folk that I take the piss out of. I'd like to think that the Thunderdome is somewhere to let off steam and take the piss.

As was said before, If you take it serious you lose.

TBH when I saw the post about what he said about me losing my baby, it made my stomach turn. Its obviously a very sensitive issue to me after suffering a miscarraige and being in the early stages of pregnancy again. Raging hormones also dont help.

I have made my feelings clear on this in my reply to rb

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=55693046&postcount=377

Rb knew exactly what he was trying to do when he posted that message.
    An apology at this stage is too late as the damage is done.

oh get over yourself, you have said some pretty horrific things yourself in the the thunderdome and now something has been said that you dont like and all of a sudden you are like "that is so out of order"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

i didnt see any sig or tagline fiving her history, how was rb to know?

its the same as cancer,rape, and other horrible scenarios.
    you dont know our history, so how can you be sure you arent saying something personal?

You missed the point entirely, which was that rb_ie's comment was deliberately calculated based on Quality's evident pregnancy....accidentally cracking off a yore ma joke in Overheal's situation is entirely different. Not so much to do with the fact she lost a child; while that's unfortunate it's not what I'm taking issue with.
    6th wrote:

Apart from against rb_ie who seems to be wholly deserving of it, Degsy is a good poster, in reference to the TD, who takes in in the good humourous manner as advocated by cornbb.

I think your comment refers far more realistically to rb_ie.

In fact, I even remember, it must be at least 16 months ago, there was a thread called 'stereotypical things posters say'.

Rb_ie's one was 'go hang yourself', as advocated by another member.

It's not like this reputation is suddenly springing out of nowhere relating to recent events.

irishbird wrote: »
    oh get over yourself, you have said some pretty horrific things yourself in the the thunderdome and now something has been said that you dont like and all of a sudden you are like "that is so out of order"

...Morning Sickness?

Huggles wrote: »

Quality chose to become a regular of a forum where people get called pedos, threaten each other with rape, joke about incest and child abuse and tell people to go kill themselves.

Rb_ie's one was 'go hang yourself', as advocated by another member.

It's not like this reputation is suddenly springing out of nowhere relating to recent events.

Searched for it, couldn't find it, link?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Quality chose to become a regular of a forum where people get called pedos, threaten each other with rape, joke about incest and child abuse and tell people to go kill themselves.

Its all part of the shtick 6th, deliberately making a "joke" that pokes at the tender parts of a person's real-life situation is an entirely different matter. We can assume that Degsy is in fact not really a faeces-eating pedophile, whereas Quality is in fact pregnant.

You missed the point entirely, which was that rb_ie's comment was deliberately calculated based on Quality's evident pregnancy....accidentally cracking off a yore ma joke in Overheal's situation is entirely different. Not so much to do with the fact she lost a child; while that's unfortunate it's not what I'm taking issue with.
    i really dont think it matters. im not missing the point ive seen the sig, i also assumed that anything on your profile, avatar, links, whatever would be fair game in the dome.
    as WWM said, if you banned Rb you'd have to ban everyone.
    its the internet, you dont know peoples histories.
    you could say something you thought harmless, and because it happened to me,i could be insulted, but i'd take it with a pinch of salt.

now,if i said, i {insert unfortunate story}, and then you said something, you should get some sort of internet slap.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

rb_ie wrote: »
    Searched for it, couldn't find it, link?

No way of finding it, but it was there. No idea what the thread was called; I'm sure others remember it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Dude, enough with the double standards. You made some choice comments in there yourself.

You complimented Degsy on something he said about rb_ie

You made comments about dead babies here

Talking about creepy gettings aids here

Another dead baby "joke":
    here

and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

rb_ie wrote: »
    Agreed. However, where should the line be drawn? I mean, sure enough what I said was a pretty vicious comment when taking in a context I didn't mean it to be taken, particularly since I wasn't aware of the history, but what is "too far" in TT? After having put up with pretty callous comments for 6 pages (40 per page) I certainly felt that the line was still a distance away with that comment. However, I wasn't seeing it in a serious light and that could have been my downfall on that one. So, should some comments be taken more seriously in TT than others? Again, I've no idea.

Exactly my point man. Your post is just a VERY good example of this. TT needs to either be moderated or have some very clear rules in place.

Also in fairness to rb folks... even though his comment was quite harsh, unfair and hurtful to Quality, it might have actually been an attempt at pushing The Thunderdome's non existent boundaries right to their limits to prove a point. If that was his intention, it certainly seems a success. I honestly don't know if that was really his intention but to me it does seem that way after reading his responses.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

Excuse me, As I pointed out I have taken this badly due to the history involved.

I did not report this post, I did not make a song and dance about it. I just pointed out my feelings on it. I never once said this is out of order..

It did hurt and it was hurtful, I am obviously not an ice queen like you Irish Bird.

The damage is done. I am upset and hurt, I understand that it is the thunderdome and that yes I have taken it seriously, YES I HAVE FÚCKING LOST.

I am onlly human, The memories of having to have my last baby cut out of me are still very fresh in my mind.

I wish I could get over myself, I wish this didn't hurt me as much as it does now.

Anything I have said in the Thunderdome in the past was to either defend myself or tounge in cheek, I dont think there is one regular poster in there that thinks that I am deliberatly malicious towards them.

At least I leave my malicious posting for the thunderdome, You seem to spread your poison everywhere. What is your problem?

exactly, if someone was posting in the dome and someone said "go home to your daddy,hes ready for {sick comment here}" as i saw during the week, and the person that was on the receiving end had been a victim, would that matter?
    i didnt hear a, "shut up, that could have happened to someone" get whispered then.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

cornbb wrote: »
    Its all part of the shtick 6th, deliberately making a "joke" that pokes at the tender parts of a person's real-life situation is an entirely different matter. We can assume that Degsy is in fact not really a faeces-eating pedophile, whereas Quality is in fact pregnant.

i wont be so sure of that tbh

who cares if quality is pregnant or not, she is in the the 'dome what does she expect.

tbh wrote: »
    Dude, enough with the double standards. You made some choice comments in there yourself.

You complimented Degsy on something he said about rb_ie

You made comments about dead babies here

Talking about creepy gettings aids here

Another dead baby "joke":
    here

and so on.

What double standard? I've just had my first read of all of those and they simply seem to fall under the dark humour category Dudess is alluding to.

I imagine however if he had used a dead baby joke on Quality, 6th would be in the same situation rb_ie is in now. As it is, being a TD regular, I'll bet she has read these 3 posts in the past. Nobody seemed to call him on the material. Including Quality. As Nerin put it; not a whisper.

No way of finding it, but it was there. No idea what the thread was called; I'm sure others remember it.
    Just went through every thread that I've posted and/or been mentioned in in the past 2 years and no joy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

It was in a thread called Posters Typical Posts. Can't quite remember who started the thread but Pighead does recall that whoever he was, was very clever and handsome. The name will probably come back later.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=51916469&postcount=157

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

i wont be so sure of that tbh

who cares if quality is pregnant or not, she is in the the 'dome what does she expect.

I wish there was a 'thumbs down' icon under your post.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement