Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderdome: purely tongue-in-cheek?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Degsy wrote: »
    He put people on ignore because he's an arrogant git who's not capable of responding to people slagging him en-masse.I never pretended my comments abouthim were in fun,imerely reiterated what is commin knowledege about him.I fail to see how he "got me good" in any way shape or form,unless you consider being called a retard the pinnacle of put-downs.Some people round these parts need to pull thier heads out of thier internet arses.

So do the people calling for him to be banned

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

He put people on ignore because he's an arrogant git who's not capable of responding to people slagging him en-masse.I never pretended my comments abouthim were in fun,imerely reiterated what is commin knowledege about him.I fail to see how he "got me good" in any way shape or form,unless you consider being called a retard the pinnacle of put-downs.Some people round these parts need to pull thier heads out of thier internet arses.

Hang on though,

you want to ban rb_ie for not posting in fun or the spirit of the forum but you yourself openly admit to doing the same thing :p
    I never pretended my comments abouthim were in fun

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

Some people round these parts need to pull thier heads out of thier internet arses.
    do as i say not as i do perhaps??

@terrorfirmer- the rape/aids/cancer/molestation point still stands.
    if people are going to give him crap over a comment that upset her because she has a history he didnt know about.

the fact she is pregnant is not what everyone is getting so uppity about imo, although they probably wont admit it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

Lots of people taking the internet way too seriously here. It's the Thunderdome ffs, it's like the internet within the internet.

If ever mankind needed serious cat, it's now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

rb_ie has a reputation for being a Troll, and by no means, as an exclusive result of posting in the Thunderdome. You know it, I know it, any many others know it because it has been discussed before.

I dunno what you're referring to, I used to be known as a troll but that was long ago and I haven't "trolled" a single forum outside the Thunderdome in a long time.

You're not exactly one to talk about reputations tbh so I'd suggest you don't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

My personal opinion is I don't like the thunderdome for the fact that it isn't tongue and cheek a lot of the time, people will bring their greivances from boards or real life and play it out in there knowing that nothing will be said.

So for that reason I think if people go and activily post in there and themselves say some pretty nasty stuff then complain when something hits to close to home the boo ****ing hoo. You played with matches and got burnt and now you have learned the lesson that if you don't want to get burned don't post regurarly in the Dome. If this had been said to about someone who didn't upost the Dome then maybe it could be looked in a different light but Quality post in there regualry and has given people knowledge about her personal life.

So the question isn't wether that rb should be banned but if the Dome should stay open

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭IronMan

rb_ie wrote: »
    I dunno what you're referring to, I used to be known as a troll but that was long ago and I haven't "trolled" a single forum outside the Thunderdome in a long time.

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=55605030&postcount=15

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Overheal wrote: »

Before or after I treat you to a flight of stairs ;)

hmmm, after would probably be best but can you just let me finish my college assignment first ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

irishbird wrote: »
    oh get over yourself, you have said some pretty horrific things yourself in the the thunderdome and now something has been said that you dont like and all of a sudden you are like "that is so out of order"

Quality started posting in quickly another thread about rb when the original ones was locked by an admin. If it was locked by an admin it was locked for a reason.

It looked like singling a user out to me. He's previous posts were checked, his picture album linked and mocked, insults about his girlfriend, etc. There was 6 pages of this mob mentality.

When rb retorts with a joke, that imo is no worse then the talk of raping people's sisters in dome, the mob grabbed on to the "ZOMG Quality is a mother... BAN RB!!" and ran with it.

Its like a kid being bullied in school by a gang. A teacher steps in to stop a part of it (the locked thread), but the gang continues in other ways. The kid lashes out and smacks one of the ring leaders of this bullying crew aka Quality. The ring leader goes running to principal trying to get the kid expelled.

Maybe if you hadn't tried to reopen a thread insulting him, you wouldn't have received a insult that touched a sensitive issue for you. You reap what you sow.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

He put people on ignore because he's an arrogant git who's not capable of responding to people slagging him en-masse.I never pretended my comments about him were in fun,i merely reiterated what is common knowledege about him.I fail to see how he "got me good" in any way shape or form,unless you consider being called a retard the pinnacle of put-downs.Some people round these parts need to pull thier heads out of thier internet arses.

You re-reg'd because you needed rb to see your comments. You accuse rb of being calcuated and serious with his comment, saying its usually all for laughs in the dome and yet you admit you meant everything you directed at rb. You even have to result to personal abuse here, i a forum were its against the rules. You want him banned for what he said? What about you being banned from feedback?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,220 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Creature wrote: »
    Lots of people taking the internet way too seriously here. It's the Thunderdome ffs, it's like the internet within the internet.

If ever mankind needed serious cat, it's now.

SeriousCat2.jpg

And now back to the show...
    Irishbird wrote:
    hmmm, after would probably be best but can you just let me finish my college assignment first ?

But if I let you finish the assignment you wont have any opportunity for an extension due to serious injuries :)
    IronMan wrote:

Its AH. Thats a clear Tongue-in-Cheek. But if I'm wrong I get the inkling Dudess would like to infract him for stepping a toe out of line at the moment. Wrong though I feel she may be.

You want to see real trolling? Search for any thread on Boards with the keyword 'American'.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

And we sorted that out the old fashioned way....name calling at dawn.
    Perhaps "Snivelling at dawn" would be a better description
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=3442416&postcount=38

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Nerin wrote: »

the rape/aids/cancer/molestation point still stands.

the fact she is pregnant is not what everyone is getting so uppity about imo, although they probably wont admit it.

It's the issue I had with it, to be honest I don't think much of the terrible loss in relation to the abuse he's now getting over it; obviously rb_ie would have no way of knowing such a thing and as such should hardly be beat up over that on top of the initial comment. Maybe I'm on a different wave length here in my morals regarding specific attacks based on knowledge of a poster, not imagined ones, though.

I know what you're saying regarding the rape/aids/etc as well, don't get me wrong, but I think you'll agree there's a fundamental difference between calling some an aids ridden scumbag in good humor and then deliberating reiterating same to someone who you are well aware does have said affliction.

Though that's not a good analogy...but you know what I mean. I think it's just the fact it's an unborn child...just nasty.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

For reference, here is the original post, and ostensibly the charter as outlined originally for the Thunderdome.
    DeVore wrote: »
    Ok. I've created two new forums:

The Cuckoo's Nest is alt.stupid for Boards. Fill it full of stupidity and surreality and idiocy. It will serve as a lightening rod for the rest of us to be free of you. :)
    Seriously, its going to be very lightly moderated and is for silly discussions and polls and what have you. Posts there will NOT contribute to your post count and it wont show up on the front page.
    I'm looking for suitably silly people (two of them) to moderate it.

The Thunderdome is basically the "back of the bike sheds" for Boards. If you are having right old ding dong battle with someone and its p|ssing off the rest of the forum, the mod can move the thread to the Thunderdome and you can continue your "debate" there.

Be warned. There are NO RULES beyond the state's common law in there. Anything goes that is legal. The site's standard civility rules are not in play. It will be unmoderated except for the admins and there will be no warnings for transgressions of the law. Your account will simply be completely suspended.

You cant *create* threads there you (and others) can only reply to them. They dont count towards post count and they dont show up on the front page. Basically if you want to have a right old barny with someone then take it somewhere that the rest of us arent annoyed by it. Then rip into each other as you see fit.
    You may NOT repeat NOT harrass someone on the site to "meet you there" etc. What goes on in there stays in there. The rest of us dont care and referring to it, or badgering someone to reply there will get you banned.

Mods, please note the two new options you have for dealing with problem threads. Stupid crap to The Cuckoo's Next and aggressive fights to The Thunderdome.

Enjoy!

DeV.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=198707

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Pighead wrote: »
    Perhaps "Snivelling at dawn" would be a better description
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=3442416&postcount=38

Don't make me bring up the mastermind thread....buddy. ;)

IronMan wrote: »
    Oh come on ffs that was quite blatantly a joke.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

rb_ie wrote: »
    Oh come on ffs that was quite blatantly a joke.
    I think that's pretty laffo.

Quality started posting in quickly another thread about rb when the original ones was locked by an admin. If it was locked by an admin it was locked for a reason.

It looked like singling a user out to me. He's previous posts were checked, his picture album linked and mocked, insults about his girlfriend, etc. There was 6 pages of this mob mentality.

When rb retorts with a joke, that imo is no worse then the talk of raping people's sisters in dome, the mob grabbed on to the "ZOMG Quality is a mother... BAN RB!!" and ran with it.

Its like a kid being bullied in school by a gang. A teacher steps in to stop a part of it (the locked thread), but the gang continues in other ways. The kid lashes out and smacks one of the ring leaders of this bullying crew aka Quality. The ring leader goes running to principal trying to get the kid expelled.

Maybe if you hadn't tried to reopen a thread insulting him, you wouldn't have received a insult that touched a sensitive issue for you. You reap what you sow.

Well said, Quality is not the victim here rather she was one of the more active people in victimising rb. Now the bullies are hiding behind Quality in an attempt to get rid of rb.

IronMan wrote: »
    comes off as a joke more than anything, me being "a cuclchi" and all.:p

agree, we were there, we saw.it was stupid and childish. also, oh hai panda!! :)
    6th wrote: »
    You re-reg'd because you needed rb to see your comments. You accuse rb of being calcuated and serious with his comment, saying its usually all for laughs in the dome and yet you admit you meant everything you directed at rb. You even have to result to personal abuse here, i a forum were its against the rules. You want him banned for what he said? What about you being banned from feedback?
    exactly 6th, its getting out of hand again, outside the bloody dome.

terrorfirmer, he didnt know about the loss, just as they wouldnt know about someone having aids or cancer or being abused.
    hence i think this thread is silly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

To be fair, rb_ie is admitting he was at fault and is going to a huge amount of trouble to explain himself. The people who are saying "meh, Quality should have known" bla bla bla are actually coming across as FAR worse than rb_ie now.
    Maybe I'm just naturally morbid or I'm used to hearing worse but I highly imagine the attack wouldn't have had nearly the same degree of impact if not for Quality's specific issue.
    Obviously.
    Yeah what rb said was bad but with the way the dome is I dont think it is out of place.
    I think it is. I hate this sh1t of "where do you draw the line?" Stop playing fukking innocent here. Everyone knows very well when a line is crossed.
    So, what about saying you hope that someone gets raped? Its said in there alot but its said to guys ..... is the idea of a guy being raped seen to be funny because it isnt as common as rape on women?
    If it was known that a guy was actually raped it would be out of order. As has been said before in arguments about bad taste humour: know your audience.
    Dudesss you said TD is about dark humour .. thats not what its about at all. Lolocaust is about dark humour and that place is private.
    I thought both were about dark humour...
    Quality uses the dome alot so I dont think she should really expect an apology, she knows what its like in there and is happy to use it.
    Yes she should - she is pregnant. It's a shame if you think it was naive of her to assume that people would have at least a tiny level of decency - even in the bloody awful Thunderdome.
    i seem to remember someones "insult" last week was that a user was molested by their father. of course, tongue in cheek. but i didnt see everyone jumping on that post.
    But nobody was molested by their father in that case (well nobody was known to have been anyway).
    if thunderdome is such serious business,why not give those that use it rules and regulations, instead of jumping on them when the insult is something that insults peoples delicate internet sensibilities.
    I think it's pretty reasonable to have faith in others and assume that they're not going to be total cunts.
    its the tunderdome people, thats what happens there. It really annoys me when non-regulars start threads complaining about things that are said there.
    Well I'm a regular and I've never said a word about the Thunderdome before - fukking hate the place and wouldn't normally go near it. But I was looking at this particular thread since it had been moved from After Hours so I was interested in it.
    Xavi6 wrote: »
    Well there aren't any rules so what's to stop it?

All I'm saying is if behaviour like this is left unmoderated then people can't go complaining when it happens.
    Again, it's reasonable to have faith that people won't be completely despicable.
    Along with the way he was being attacked by the general TD population its understandable to see how the comment would have been made quite frankly.
    No it really, really isn't.
    Vegeta wrote: »
    There is an air of moral high ground political correctness bullsh1t around here lately.
    Oh fukking yawn... Since when was it "moral high ground political correctness bullsh1t" to take exception to someone making a comment like that to a girl who's pregnant? There's such a thing as not being a fukking cunt you know and having some level of decency - even if it's just a tiny bit.
    i didnt see any sig or tagline fiving her history, how was rb to know?
    He knew she's pregnant. Nobody's saying he could have known about her miscarriage.
    rb meant it in the worst possible way,he's trying now to make it look like it was intended as ajoke.The fact is he never intends ANYTHING as a joke,he utterly lacks a sense of humour,eveybody who disagrees with him is "retarded",or "a tard" or a "newbie".People in the dome have been slagging each other with gay(ooe er) abandon for ages,you might even say they're almost friends who enjoy the banter.It took a post from one of the most arrogant,stuck-up and misogynist posters on the entire site to make this controversy happen. He was not posting in the spirit of thunderdome,he was posting in his mean-spirited,arrogant and thouroughly unpleasant way.
    I'm sorry but I'm inclined to agree with this.
    to be honest, it was set up to allow people to be morons and insult each other.
    hence the name.
    So did someone actually say "Hey! I've a great idea! Let's set up a forum where people can be very nasty and personal and bullying to others" rather than "Hey! I've a great idea! Let's set up a forum where people can throw crazy insults at each other but obviously it will be tongue-in-cheek and a good laugh at the end of the day"? If it was the former than that's really disappointing... It's very easy to tell when someone is having a laugh and when they're getting personal. That's where the line should be.
    Maximilian wrote: »
    I think this is a case of someone being offended who should have known that there was a high chance of being so offended.
    I think this was a case of someone assuming that nobody would stoop that low and now she's being made to feel as if she should shut up for it.
    who cares if quality is pregnant or not, she is in the the 'dome what does she expect.
    Oh my god, what do you have to act like such a bitch for?
    oh right and we are supposed to know about your history. once again, love, the world doesnt revolve around you
    Everyone knows she's pregnant, "love". My god, you come across as heartless.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

Right here is my 2 cents. I think rb_ie was bang out of order. It has changed my opinion of him. No respect for the dude now. I know it's the TD but everyone has limits. There is alot of boards politics being played out in this thread and i don't think we should be taking it so seriously. Do i think he should be banned? Well he can't be and neither do i think he should be. The TD has no real charter so technically rb didn't breach the almost non-exsistant rules. As for the other posters on here waging vendettas they have against each other from experiences they had with each other on the internet, get over it. I feel bad for Quality.Her's is a real world probelm. A friend of mine went through a similar thing lately. A little bit of empathy goes along way.

There's more pressing matter afoot folks. Another feckin thread on 6th

52 (33 members & 19 guests)

Whoa.

so Dudess, can anyone jump up now, and say, oh hi, my father abused me/i actually have aids, and start a thread over those posts.

no.
    who cares about the sigs in fairness.
    links,sigs,posts in other forums, etc etc have been fairgame before.

You cant *create* threads there you (and others) can only reply to them. They dont count towards post count and they dont show up on the front page. Basically if you want to have a right old barny with someone then take it somewhere that the rest of us arent annoyed by it. Then rip into each other as you see fit.
    You may NOT repeat NOT harrass someone on the site to "meet you there" etc. What goes on in there stays in there. The rest of us dont care and referring to it, or badgering someone to reply there will get you banned.

Ok well times change and it needs to be looked at. For one you can create threads there now - I know I can!

What goes on in there stays in there
    And yet Degsy's dual account followed rb to AH and got banned. Well the dual account got banned an no punishment for Degsy. What about DeVore's line "Your account will simply be completely suspended", Degsy broke one of the few rules of the dome and has done before - he goes unpunished and yet calls for punishment for others? Crazy

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Xavi6 wrote: »
    So do the people calling for him to be banned

Says you?
    Another one-trick pony :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

togster wrote: »
    A little bit of empathy goes along way.
    Exactly. Nobody has the right to hurt other people. And I hate the way that's seen as somehow all right here. I don't give a fukk if it's in the Thunderdome. I've seen since my last post that the Thunderdome is also for those who have a feud - fine. Once it's on a level playing field. And you can have a massive argument - fight even - without resorting to hurting people.

Says you?
    Another one-trick pony :rolleyes:

Please explain.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

I meant regular users of the 'dome. i dont understand can people can come here and complain about it. If you dont post regularly in the dome, you wont understand it. Okay you might not like what happens in there but that doesnt give you the right to complain about. I dont like the......, oh i know, some other forum but i dont come here complaining about it.

yeah, you might think that i come across as a bitch, probably but a poster said something really really nasty to me, now i didnt bring it up because it is something is/was happening in my personal life and they wouldnt have known about it. that is the risk you take with the dome. i walked away, yes, i was upset by it but its the dome FFS

If you cant stand the heat stay out of the kitchen

• Advertisement

Dudess wrote: »
    Exactly. Nobody has the right to hurt other people. And I hate the way that's seen as somehow all right here. I don't give a fukk if it's in the Thunderdome. I've seen since my last post that the Thunderdome is also for those who have a feud - fine. Once it's on a level playing field. And you can have a massive argument - fight even - without resorting to hurting people.

Ah, but they were attempting to hurt me. Trying their best, as Gummy pointed out. However,as I said, I'm too thick skinned for it to be effective.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement