Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderdome: purely tongue-in-cheek?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

6th wrote: »
    HaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHa
    Lol, he could be on to something 6th click :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

The Tunderdome should go back to being what it was intended for, continuing arguments between posters that happened on other forums.

It doesn't even make for interesting/funny reading. Every thread is just an insult thread with the same people trying to out-do each other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

That is not why the thread was locked. The comment passed by Rb_ie about not participating in the thread was written before the Mods were made aware of it.

The fact that another poster was attacked in another thread in the same forum needs to be looked at!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Jaysus what a thread! Here's my 2c, please dont make it personal against me!

I dont know anything about the quarrels or issues people have had with RB before, i have never had any run in with him so have no reason to think ill of him

The last time a TD debate came up, as CuLT already pointed out, DeV clarified the rules and the nastiness of the forum was allowed to stay.

What RB said was offensive. But he did it under the protection of dome. What he said was as offensive as some of other things that are said there that dont get talked about in Feedback. Whether Quality was hurt by it or not doesnt change the fact he said was offensive or hurtful. Whether or not RB was being tongue in cheek doesnt change that it was offensive.

It doesnt appear that RB knew she had a miscarriage. However would it have been ok if she hadnt? It still would have been offensive. Even if she hadnt been pregnant and he wished it on her next child, it wouldnt change how offensive it is.

It doesnt have to upset the person it was directed at to be offensive.

ultimately if change in behaviour on the forum is to be made, it needs to be flagged and discussed with the admins.

For my only perspective i never take personal anything said in the TD because its the TD. Many comedians make money saying similar things to what goes on in there. If the comments were said in other forums then i would be mighty upset.

Many moons ago I more or less gave up posting in the TD after i started a thread tongue in cheek that was deemed out of order. In hindsight i could see how it could be construed as upsetting which was never my intention. however it highlighted to me that the TD is a minefield.

On the other hand I dont agree with the argument that RB should have known that what he said crossed the line. Most of the stuff talked about there crosses the line.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

faceman wrote: »
    Jaysus what a thread! Here's my 2c, please dont make it personal against me!

I dont know anything about the quarrels or issues people have had with RB before, i have never had any run in with him so have no reason to think ill of him

The last time a TD debate came up, as CuLT already pointed out, DeV clarified the rules and the nastiness of the forum was allowed to stay.

What RB said was offensive. But he did it under the protection of dome. What he said was as offensive as some of other things that are said there that dont get talked about in Feedback. Whether Quality was hurt by it or not doesnt change the fact he said was offensive or hurtful. Whether or not RB was being tongue in cheek doesnt change that it was offensive.

It doesnt appear that RB knew she had a miscarriage. However would it have been ok if she hadnt? It still would have been offensive. Even if she hadnt been pregnant and he wished it on her next child, it wouldnt change how offensive it is.

It doesnt have to upset the person it was directed at to be offensive.

ultimately if change in behaviour on the forum is to be made, it needs to be flagged and discussed with the admins.

For my only perspective i never take personal anything said in the TD because its the TD. Many comedians make money saying similar things to what goes on in there. If the comments were said in other forums then i would be mighty upset.

Many moons ago I more or less gave up posting in the TD after i started a thread tongue in cheek that was deemed out of order. In hindsight i could see how it could be construed as upsetting which was never my intention. however it highlighted to me that the TD is a minefield.

On the other hand I dont agree with the argument that RB should have known that what he said crossed the line. Most of the stuff talked about there crosses the line.

Couldnt say it better myself.

• Advertisement

Mizzlolly: I said I was done with the thread and let Ruu know about the dup accounts. That's all. It was their decision to lock it as a result of what was going on their and the many duplicate accounts popping up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

Quality started posting in quickly another thread about rb when the original ones was locked by an admin. If it was locked by an admin it was locked for a reason.

It looked like singling a user out to me. He's previous posts were checked, his picture album linked and mocked, insults about his girlfriend, etc. There was 6 pages of this mob mentality.

When rb retorts with a joke, that imo is no worse then the talk of raping people's sisters in dome, the mob grabbed on to the "ZOMG Quality is a mother... BAN RB!!" and ran with it.

Its like a kid being bullied in school by a gang. A teacher steps in to stop a part of it (the locked thread), but the gang continues in other ways. The kid lashes out and smacks one of the ring leaders of this bullying crew aka Quality. The ring leader goes running to principal trying to get the kid expelled.

Maybe if you hadn't tried to reopen a thread insulting him, you wouldn't have received a insult that touched a sensitive issue for you. You reap what you sow.

This is by far the best post I've seen on the entire thread. I agree with everything you've said.

I also agree with everything that IB has said. While you may look at it and think it's "heartless" it's not. It's just true. I don't venture into TTD much. Mostly because I have a life outside of boards which is not all roses and light etc, The insults thrown around there can be made personal to anyone depending on their history. There were a couple of insults highlighted during the thread that I would find quite upsetting were they aimed at me. I know I would find them upsetting so I choose to stay out of that situation rather than posting insults and then crying when someone hits on something which is personal to me. Nobody is expected to know my history. If I dish out an insult to someone (In this case repeatedly) then I would deserve whatever insult was thrown back on me.

This is the internet. While I am sorry for your loss Quality and I do wish you all the best, I think when it comes to TTD you have to leave your real life at the door.

If you can't do that then don't venture in there. We all have sore spots. If you don't want them pressed then don't intentionally put yourself in the situation where they can be pressed!

BTW, I didn't read RB's comment as particularly malicious. I read it to mean certain people (Not just quality) in TTD were so stupid that for the sake of the rest of the world they shouldn't procreate. I'm sure that's how it was meant! Maybe he could have worded it better but I don't think he was intending to be particularly malicious.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Tbh I don't think I've ever posted on TTD or that I ever will, although I have dipped in and out from time to time.
    Personally I wouldn't say anything online to someone that I couldn't say to their fact. I've never gotten my head around the fact that some people think its fine to act a certain way online and then expect to be treated differently IRL.
    I think TTD has evolved into an awful horrible place and the whole concept really needs to be reviewed.
    As for the offending post, it was there plain to see in Qualitys sig that she was pregnant, rb_ie has seen her posts enough to know this.
    IMO making a comment like that about someone pregnancy anywhere even in TTD is just wrong.
    1) It is going to be a sensitive area no matter what.
    2) Of course the person is going to be hurt by the comment, its probably the worst fear they have right now.
    3)As Q said ladies in her condition are known to be quite hormonal so you could probably have put money on the fact she might have gotten a tad upset.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Bla bla bla "it's the Thunderdome, what do you expect" etc. There are some things you simply do not say. What's with all the lack of compassion and indifference? Is it a competition to see who can be tougher or something? Why do I get the feeling people know what was said was horrible but they refuse to back down in order to maintain consistency.
    Quality posts in the Thunderdome, she gives insults, she gets insults, she made the mistake of assuming that nobody would be low enough to make a comment about her unborn baby.

I think rb_ie has to be commended on his apologies and explanations, but some of the "it's Thunderdome, she should have known" etc crowd are coming across as really, really cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,216 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Dudess wrote: »
    Bla bla bla "it's the Thunderdome, what do you expect" etc. There are some things you simply do not say. What's with all the lack of compassion and indifference? Is it a competition to see who can be tougher or something? Why do I get the feeling people know what was said was horrible but they refuse to back down in order to maintain consistency.
    Quality posts in the Thunderdome, she gives insults, she gets insults, she made the mistake of assuming that nobody would be low enough to make a comment about her unborn baby.

I think rb_ie has to be commended on his apologies and explanations, but some of the "it's Thunderdome, she should have known" etc crowd are coming across as really, really cold.

You've admitted yourself its only horrible in light of her miscarriage, which was not in any way shape or form, available information at the time of the offending post.

There's a huge difference between seeing someone face to face (and their baby-hump/bunintheoven) Then looking at a username on a message board. Try and remember that. I somehow doubt the comment would have been passed in any face to face exchange.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

We don't all sail to the same moral compass Dudess.

I am a cycnical bastard and will be the first to admit it.

How come I don't see you calling for the head of all the people bullying rb_ie?

Nobody is bullying him. That is possibly one of the most ridiculous things I've read here. Any issues that boardsies have with him have been provoked by him!

Vegeta wrote: »
    We don't all sail to the same moral compass Dudess.
    Look, do you think it's wrong to say things that hurt people or don't you?
    I am a cycnical bastard and will be the first to admit it.
    I'm also cynical and I'm not exactly a sentimental person, but I'm not heartless. I don't see how it's difficult for people to have empathy when someone's feeling badly hurt - unless they have issues.
    Considering bullying is unprovoked, I wouldn't call it bullying. rb_ie can be an all right guy but he can go really far when it comes to certain targets of his. That's what the attacks in the Thunderdome were for, and he was well able.

MizzLolly wrote: »
    Nobody is bullying him. That is possibly one of the most ridiculous things I've read here. Any issues that boardsies have with him have been provoked by him!

6 pages of 40 posts slagging him of, not bullying. Riiiggggghhhtttt

Just because he may be unpopular (by his own design I imagine) doesn't make it ok

I have to say I find this bullying lark laughable. If it's fine for rb_ie to say what he wants then so can everyone else. Was he bullied? No I don't think so. Was what he said to Quality as out of order as some people are making it out to be? No. It's the Tunderdome and as it stands at the minute, anything goes. Quality knew that and so did rb_ie. If either aren't prepared for what goes on in the Thunderdome as it is now, they shouldn't be in there. It was an unfortunate thing to say given her circumstances and he's apologised.

That's not to say I agree with the attitude being displayed by some posters on this thread towards Quality, who, as she said herself, didn't report the post nor did she start this thread. Equally, I think the moral crusaders need to get off their high-horses for a while too.

I still think the Thunderdome would be better used if it went back it's original form. No new threads being created, only moved threads from other forums in order to facilitate arguments/flamewars happening elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

So if its not bullying what is it? Vigilanty-ism? So a load of bullys ganging up on a bully is ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 83,216 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Considering bullying is unprovoked, I wouldn't call it bullying. rb_ie can be an all right guy but he can go really far when it comes to certain targets of his. That's what the attacks in the Thunderdome were for, and he was well able.

yeah..... it wouldn't be the first time I considered dragging him through the thunderdome since I've known him, lets be honest :D

Look, do you think it's wrong to say things that hurt people or don't you?

In any other forum bar TTD, yes I do
    I'm also cynical and I'm not exactly a sentimental person, but I'm not heartless. I don't see how it's difficult for people to have empathy when someone's feeling badly hurt - unless they have issues.

I do feel empathy towards Quality's personal situation but not for the fact she got insulted in a forum for people who insult each other which she entered of her own free will.

If he was able for it would he have asked the mods to stop it?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Considering bullying is unprovoked, I wouldn't call it bullying.
    You think bullying has to be unprovoked? You'd better do some research on the subject!
    Chinafoot wrote:
    I have to say I find this bullying lark laughable.
    ORLY? I find your lack of knowledge on the subject laughable.
    SIPTU.ie wrote:
    Bullying – the definition of bullying provided by the Task Force On Workplace Bullying and used in the three Codes Of Practice on workplace bullying issued by the Equality Authority, Health & Safety Authority (HSA) and Labour Relations Commission (LRC), is ‘repeated inappropriate behaviour, direct or indirect, whether verbal, physical or otherwise, conducted by one or more persons against another or others, at the place of work and/or in the course of employment, which could reasonably be regarded as undermining the individual’s right to dignity at work. An isolated incident of the behaviour described in this definition may be an affront to dignity at work but as a once off incident is not considered to be bullying’.
    Can't see anything to say that it's okay if the person provoked it. :rolleyes:

While this is a 'workplace' definition, I think some common sense needs to be applied. The thunderdome is not about bullying but there are plenty of incidences where it has been used to bully and undermine individuals and the joy at which the gang and mob mentality whips up in there makes it and the participants in that cyber-bullies, whether there's a charter or not :rolleyes:

In fairness, a lot of it was unprovoked.

• Advertisement

Chinafoot wrote: »
    Was what he said to Quality as out of order as some people are making it out to be? No. It's the Tunderdome and as it stands at the minute, anything goes. Quality knew that and so did rb_ie. If either aren't prepared for what goes on in the Thunderdome as it is now, they shouldn't be in there.
    The point some of us are trying to make is that it shouldn't have been said even if it was the Thunderdome.
    I think the moral crusaders need to get off their high-horses for a while too.
    Not having a go at you Chinafoot but I find it once again unappetising the way having empathy for someone who was very upset and probably stressed by this - while pregnant - is referred to as being a "moral crusader" on their "high horse".
    I still think the Thunderdome would be better used if it went back it's original form. No new threads being created, only moved threads from other forums in order to facilitate arguments/flamewars happening elsewhere.
    I agree. It's fukking dreadful right now - exceptionally boring more than anything else.

I have to say I find this bullying lark laughable. If it's fine for rb_ie to say what he wants then so can everyone else. Was he bullied?

I suppose really that is my point. IF rb_ie was out of line for his comments to Quality then the people who gave him a torrent of abuse were just as guilty

BUT its the Tunderdome so there are no rules and I cant understand where this is all coming from.

EDIT: R3nu4l said it better

Just because he may be unpopular (by his own design I imagine) doesn't make it ok

Only with a small group though :) In fairness to them, they're quite a dedicated bunch and certainly dug deep to uncover stuff about me to hurl abuse at me over.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

It's hard to bully someone if they don't post there. Ruu's advice was spot on, stop posting there and the thread will die. In the end the troll accounts got it closed.

6th wrote: »
    So if its not bullying what is it? Vigilanty-ism? So a load of bullys ganging up on a bully is ok?

Now now 6th I really hope you're not trying to put words in my mouth here. It's the Thunderdome. If you post in there you're going to get shít, simple as. Rb_ie knew that. He's well able to give shít to people and if he's not able to take it he shouldn't be in there. The number of people responding to him is irrelevant.

I do feel empathy towards Quality's personal situation but not for the fact she got insulted in a forum for people who insult each other which she entered of her own free will.

The same applied to rb_ie so your next sentence doesn't really make much sense.

If he was able for it would he have asked the mods to stop it?

If he wasn't able for it he shouldn't be in there. He entered a forum for people who insult each other of his own free will.

Who did he apologize to?

The point some of us are trying to make is that it shouldn't have been said even if it was the Thunderdome.

The point is, as it stands now and until it changes anything is fair game in there.
    Not having a go at you Chinafoot but I find it once again unappetising the way having empathy for someone who was very upset and probably stressed by this - while pregnant - is referred to as being a "moral crusader" on their "high horse".

It has nothing to do with your empathy. Believe me I feel for Quality and I think its a very unfortunate situation, but it's not like rb_ie knew she had lost a child. There's been far worse posted in there and the fact that it hit very close to the bone is unfortunate, but I don't believe it's malicious.
    I agree. It's fukking dreadful right now - exceptionally boring more than anything else.

Then call for it to be changed. Don't rant at how cold and heartless people are, simply state your reasons why you think it should be changed back to its original function.
    Who did he apologize to?

He apologised to Quality.

If he wasn't able for it he shouldn't be in there. He entered a forum for people who insult each other of his own free will.

Well he did try and get out, PM'ing mods. The thread asking for his banning closed

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Now now 6th I really hope you're not trying to put words in my mouth here. It's the Thunderdome. If you post in there you're going to get shít, simple as. Rb_ie knew that. He's well able to give shít to people and if he's not able to take it he shouldn't be in there. The number of people responding to him is irrelevant.

The same applied to rb_ie so your next sentence doesn't really make much sense.

Not only that but when the heat got too much for him he decided to fight dirty.He considered it fine and dandy to bully people but when he started getting some of it vback he ran sqwealing to the mods.He meant exactly what he said to quality,its in keeping with his entire holier-than-thou-if thou-arent-a southsider mentality.If he's bothered to aplogise its only because he's afraid of the all-powerfull "boards rules" that he lives by when it suits him.As i've said before,if there's no rules in the thunderdome then dont be reporting posts and "dropping pms to smods".

• Advertisement

Well he did try and get out, PM'ing mods. The thread asking for his banning closed

Well I have to say, I find that a bit silly. It would have been much easier for him to walk away and ignore it. In recent years the general rule of the Thunderdome is, if you don't like it don't go there. That rubbish isn't tolerated anywhere else on boards so walking away would have been the sensible thing.

I think the Thunderdome as it stands now is a waste of space but rb_ie was happy out in there until he couldn't hack it. He's around long enough to know what the TD is all about and, again, if he can't take it he shouldn't dish it out. It's a bit much to go running to the SMods when things got a bit much for him in a forum for, as you say, insults.

Why is it Vegeta that the bullying only applies to rb_ie in this case and not Quality. You said yourself that while you feel for her situation regarding the loss of her baby, you don't feel for her having been insulted in the Thunderdome because that it is used for. So why the double standards? If she knew what the place was like and so did rb_ie, why is it only he thats being bullied? He's more than happy to dish out the insults in there so surely he should be able to take it.

Don't get me wrong here, I don't agree with what goes on in the TD and I do think it should go back to what it was, but I disagree that rb_ie was being bullied but Quality should have known better. It can't be one rule for one and a different rule for everyone else. r3nu4l can feel free to roll is eyes at me here but my point still stands.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement