Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rally of the Lakes

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39 driveshaft

OK ENOUGH!!!!!!!

To set the record straight on the road closure issue. In order to close any road for any reason (with the exception of a emergency road closure) the rally organiser must inform the gardai and county council several months in advance of their intention to close the road. This will be accompanied by a copy of the safety plan.

The rally organiser will then send the PR people around door to door to inform the residents and landowners of the closure. NOTE: There is no onus on the organisers to do this. But it is standard procedure.

At least 4 weeks in advance a notice will be placed in the local papers by the county council stating the roads and townlands affected by the closure. This notice invites people who are aggrieved by the closure to submit their objection within 1 week of the notice. Colrow, this was your opportunity to object and you would be within your rights to do so.

If there are no objections, the closure will proceed. During this time the road is private property and anyone who enters the roadway is trespassing and is liable to prosecution.

The above is provided for in the Road Traffic Acts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭colrow

driveshaft wrote: »
    OK ENOUGH!!!!!!!

At least 4 weeks in advance a notice will be placed in the local papers by the county council stating the roads and townlands affected by the closure. This notice invites people who are aggrieved by the closure to submit their objection within 1 week of the notice. Colrow, this was your opportunity to object and you would be within your rights to do so.

If there are no objections, the closure will proceed. During this time the road is private property and anyone who enters the roadway is trespassing and is liable to prosecution.

The above is provided for in the Road Traffic Acts.

Thanks for the information driveshaft!!!

Its a funny thing but I have benefitted financially to a small degree from the rally, I've been given 6 of the straw bales used to make barriers, which will be used to bed down my animals over the winter. And I had fun driving my tractor around the lanes, during the week leading up to the rally, the rally drivers who we were practising or whatever they were doing on the roads around here, should be more aware of other road users, they impeded other people by their selfish attitudes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Pseudo

colrow wrote: »

Its a funny thing but I have benefitted financially to a small degree from the rally, I've been given 6 of the straw bales used to make barriers, which will be used to bed down my animals over the winter. And I had fun driving my tractor around the lanes, during the week leading up to the rally, the rally drivers who we were practising or whatever they were doing on the roads around here, should be more aware of other road users, they impeded other people by their selfish attitudes.

Oh the irony! A self-confessed tractor driver accusing car drivers of impeding their progress. :rolleyes: Made my day to find that I've woken up on another planet.

Pseudo wrote: »
    Oh the irony! A self-confessed tractor driver accusing car drivers of impeding their progress. :rolleyes: Made my day to find that I've woken up on another planet.

ROTFLMAO

They was impeding me whilst I was in my car, quite a few times. So I thought I should bring a bit of balance into play, with a nice tickover meander, in my faithful ole tractor. Ha Ha Maybe I'll change my nickname to TractorMan Purveyor of Old Original Traffic Snarl Ups.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Pseudo

ROTFLMAO

They was impeding me whilst I was in my car, quite a few times. So I thought I should bring a bit of balance into play, with a nice tickover meander, in my faithful ole tractor. Ha Ha Maybe I'll change my nickname to TractorMan Purveyor of Old Original Traffic Snarl Ups.

As long as it's roadworthy, road-legal, taxed, insured etc... (all rarities for tractors in Kerry), you can meander where you like, and call yourself what you like.:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Niner

It really seemed that a lot of people stayed away this year,does anyone know why? We drove through town without any major delays,other years it was very slow but entertaining to say the least. It's the best weekend of the year in town,great to see all the cars and people from different parts of Ireland, long may it last! And from one 'local' to the others... F*** the begrudgers! It's better craic for the two days than being stuck behind a dozy mucksavage in his '94 corolla doing 40kmh day in day out.

the rally drivers who we were practising or whatever they were doing on the roads around here, should be more aware of other road users, they impeded other people by their selfish attitudes.

Recconaissance was run the weekend before the rally. All competitors have to abide to a maximum speed of 40mph. Those caught breaking the speed limit or who are caught outside of the recce hours are liable to disqualification from the event. Recce normally takes place the weekend before the rally (or the day before in the case of a 1 day event). Naturally enough it is impossible for the rally organiser to police 300km of stages 24 hours a day, for several weeks in advance and that is where the co operation of the local residents comes in - report incidents to the rally organisers with the reg of the car involved - they will have a register of all vehicles being used legally for reconnaisance and chances are you will get a better response from the organiser than from the guards. The loss of a €700 entry fee will hit an offender harder than any speeding fine.

I do think that you are being immature about the whole thing colrow. There are ways and means of expressing dissatisfaction - blocking a stage or placing debris on the stage leaves you wide open to a variety of charges from trespass to manslaughter.

Given that boards.ie strictly forbids talk of illegal behaviour I do think that it would be no harm if some of colrow's posts were edited.

Recconaissance was run the weekend before the rally. All competitors have to abide to a maximum speed of 40mph. Those caught breaking the speed limit or who are caught outside of the recce hours are liable to disqualification from the event. Recce normally takes place the weekend before the rally (or the day before in the case of a 1 day event). Naturally enough it is impossible for the rally organiser to police 300km of stages 24 hours a day, for several weeks in advance and that is where the co operation of the local residents comes in - report incidents to the rally organisers with the reg of the car involved - they will have a register of all vehicles being used legally for reconnaisance and chances are you will get a better response from the organiser than from the guards. The loss of a €700 entry fee will hit an offender harder than any speeding fine.

I do think that you are being immature about the whole thing colrow. There are ways and means of expressing dissatisfaction - blocking a stage or placing debris on the stage leaves you wide open to a variety of charges from trespass to manslaughter.

Given that boards.ie strictly forbids talk of illegal behaviour I do think that it would be no harm if some of colrow's posts were edited.

Thanks for the info:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭BlancheSparks

OK Colrow.... have you broken the law? were you on another planet? Or was it all in our heads?
    Its the first tractor I've ever heard of that can travel to other planets. I think you might have beaten all those rally cars if you had been out on that road on rally day. You could even gone steaming off across country through everyone's private land like a load of the audience did across our tiny field on the day..... I spose thats all part of the fun. They all trample our gardens and we are breaking the law if we go on the public road ... hurray!!!:D

Thanks all of you that took my complaints seriously and provided me with sensible info.

• Advertisement

They all trample our gardens and we are breaking the law if we go on the public road ... hurray!!!:D

You are perfectly entitled to prevent the spectators from entering your lands. Two options - pre-organise with the club to place a marshal to prevent people entering the lands. or you can stand at the gate yourself and request that nobody enter your lands.

It's done everywhere else in Ireland. If Killarney and District Motor Club are not playing fair (and it's possible) simply object to them using the road and make a written complaint to Motorsport Ireland, the sports governing body.

You are perfectly entitled to prevent the spectators from entering your lands. Two options - pre-organise with the club to place a marshal to prevent people entering the lands. or you can stand at the gate yourself and request that nobody enter your lands.

It's done everywhere else in Ireland. If Killarney and District Motor Club are not playing fair (and it's possible) simply object to them using the road and make a written complaint to Motorsport Ireland, the sports governing body.

Or you could allways arrange to have dung spread on your land, or better still slurry spraying, very smelly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Advertisement