Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Quick junction query

Options
  • 18-04-2008 10:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,097 ✭✭✭✭

heres one that has been bugging me for a while,

if you are in a filter lane to go right and turn right signal is red, (think stillorgan road) and cars going straight have a green light, if there is nothing coming the other way can you take the right turn?

i dont ever do this but ive been beeped a few time when waiting on the light to go green.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Cyrus wrote: »

i dont ever do this but ive been beeped a few time when waiting on the light to go green.

Happened to me a few times waiting to turn in to Scotch Hall in Drogheda on a Sunday. As far as I am aware the Red Light means stop, not "go if you think it is safe", so I'm with you and wait until the light goes green.

Feck the idiots behind.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

If you are facing a red light in the right turn lane then defanite no.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Scottie99

Like stevec says, red means stop

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Yup, red means stop! You will always get some w*nker behind you who will blow the horn, but at the end of the day, if a guard sees you breaking a red light, its you who gets the points, not the dickhead behind you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

If anyone beeps you for stopping in this situation they are a clueless imbecile. This is a basic rule and anyone who has ever had a driving lesson should know it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Annoying as it is - happens on the Belgard Road at times - you've a red light, you're not allowed go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

Yeah always have an idiot doing this beeping.
    However if it is a full green light, with a right filter arrow, no traffic coming this not mean you can go if safe to do so.

But in filter lanes this this wouldn't exist.

And the stillorgan dual is the worst for the yummy mummy brigade, and big IMPORTANT business men who must attend a meeting NOW, people who go mental at the right filter lanes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

red means go if your an idiot.... or a taxi driver.... either way :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭blackbox

cabrwab wrote: »
    Yeah always have an idiot doing this beeping.
    However if it is a full green light, with a right filter arrow, no traffic coming this not mean you can go if safe to do so.

Sometimes there is a green light (not just an arrow for straight) and a filter right light. If they are both on it means that you have right-of-way to turn right. If the right filter goes off and there is no red (and the main green is still on) you may turn right, but must give way to oncoming traffic.

In a situation where there is an arrow for straight and an arrow for right, you may only turn right if the right arrow is on.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

blackbox wrote: »
    If the right filter goes off and there is no red (and the main green is still on) you may turn right, but must give way to oncoming traffic.
    You still get people in that situation though who stubbornly refuse to move until the filter appears, sometimes missing an entire green cycle in doing so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

blackbox wrote: »
    In a situation where there is an arrow for straight and an arrow for right, you may only turn right if the right arrow is on.

For a while about two years ago, the traffic lights going into liffey valley from the coldcut road, coming from the coldcut bridge side were sequenced such that you had either a red light, a green arrow straight ahead with no red light, a green arrow straight ahead and a green arrow right, and obviously an amber light before going back to red. It wasn't that the red light broken out on the green straight ahead sequence, it worked perfectly well for the stop sequence.
    To me that meant that the right turn was not controlled by the traffic lights during the green straight ahead sequence and should be treated as a right turn onto a minor road, giving way to oncoming traffic.
    It has since been changed so that there is a red light in conjunction with the green straight ahead but you do get idiots turning right on the red, usually ones who break the stop line and as such are not stopped over the sensor and are the only ones waiting. The traffic lights don't know they're there and stay red. Their own stupidity fuels their frustration and they decide to plough across on red when there is a gap in oncoming traffic.
    Don't even get me started on the other idiots who don't move onto a junction when waiting to turn right onto a minor with a full green light. Again they fail to trigger the sensor for the filter light at the end of the green sequence and unless they get a gap in oncoming traffic, their stupidity fuels their frustration and they plough across after the light has gone red or in front of oncoming traffic just after it turns green.
    Stupid, stupid people :mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

Alun wrote: »
    You still get people in that situation though who stubbornly refuse to move until the filter appears, sometimes missing an entire green cycle in doing so.

Thats becuase they lack the simple knowledge of the rules of the road.

This was a good question asked by the OP. Something I have also wondered while in this situation, especially with people up your hole while your waiting to turn. It was one of the first things I learned doing lessons, but with how people beep you waiting - I've always wondered what is the correct way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

Alun wrote: »

As a foolish young man who thought he new everything I FAILED my first motorcycle test for this very reason.

If the main green (circle) comes on you should move forward & occupy the junction. When the oncoming traffic has passed you may complete the manouvre - even if your filter light has now turned to red.

If there is an arrow green for straight ahead you must remain behind the line until your filter light is green.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

alias no.9 wrote: »
    Don't even get me started on the other idiots who don't move onto a junction when waiting to turn right onto a minor with a full green light. Again they fail to trigger the sensor for the filter light at the end of the green sequence and unless they get a gap in oncoming traffic, their stupidity fuels their frustration and they plough across after the light has gone red or in front of oncoming traffic just after it turns green.
    Stupid, stupid people :mad::mad::mad:

You do of course know that a vehicle turning right if already in the junction has right of way and all other traffic has to give way. It's the only way to get a truck through some junctions, but muppets will still beep you.

But yeah the muppets should move into the junction to trigger the sensor, espically if there is a BIG TURN BOX painted on the road:mad:

Advertisement