Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Educational Computer Games, web sites & programs?

Options
  • 18-04-2008 10:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭

Do your kids use any Educational Computer Games & programs. If so what are they?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Would be interested in hearing some suggestions about this myself also....but let's not turn this into the usual debate about the pros and cons of children using computers. This has been done to death already and it nit what the OP was asking about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Ye, I no interest in getting games. Currently has a LeapPad which he loves. Got a Leapster too for the car. He likes that but not as much as the LeapPad. Sees us on the laptop and wants to use it. I've let him draw things and I was surprised how well he can use the mouse etc. Some counting and spelling games would be good. Or puzzles etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

I've never bought any games. Both of mine started out just learning how to do the letters and numbers in word and then how to change the colour etc. Now they occasionally go on the nickjr or cbeebies websites where there are loads of games though the youngest (3) generally just wants to print pictures for colouring "which button do I pwess to pwint?" :D. Some of the games have been great just for gaining contwol... sorry control:p of the mouse, some are more educational than others but the great thing is that they're all free and there's so many they don't get bored. We try to restrict to an hour or so each once or twice a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,043 ✭✭✭✭tk123

we had Sammy's Science house - it came free with the pc but my nephew loved it from about 2-8? There was another one as well that he liked better Thinking Things - this one has a sand pit and you lay down roads, hills etc and cars drive around them :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Some ideas there to try. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

My daughter loves www.starfall.com

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭babyboom

My middle child is dyslexic and is currently using a programme called "Touch, Type, Read and Learn" (I think). It teaches children to recognise words and letters by showing them on the screen, speaking them in earphones and typing them also. I'm hoping it will benefit him as we are having massive difficulties teaching him to read (he's 7½). The youngest (3½) uses the CBeebies website, Club Penguin sometimes and the eldest (10) used the Bratz website occasionally.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

The "Reader Rabbit" series is good but check compatibility with your Pc..

babyboom wrote: »
    My middle child is dyslexic and is currently using a programme called "Touch, Type, Read and Learn" (I think).

If you get a chance could you post a link or more information on this program? I googles it, but no luck. Its sounds great. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭giddyup

What ages? My daughter (3) likes http://www.poissonrouge.com (nicely put together) and www.sproutonline.com (Kids site from PBS of Sesame St fame) which has some good educational games.

If your child can use a mouse there is lots of great content online (content and time spent online supervised by adult goes without saying....ooops I said it!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭babyboom

"If you get a chance could you post a link or more information on this program? I googles it, but no luck. Its sounds great. Thanks. "

I don't have a website link, he's actually attending a course on a Monday evening in Skerries. It was his Resource Teacher that put me in contact with them. It is possible to PM you? I'm not overly familiar with this website so don't know how to do that.

babyboom wrote: »
    "If you get a chance could you post a link or more information on this program? I googles it, but no luck. Its sounds great. Thanks. "

I don't have a website link, he's actually attending a course on a Monday evening in Skerries. It was his Resource Teacher that put me in contact with them. It is possible to PM you? I'm not overly familiar with this website so don't know how to do that.

Thanks Babyboom, click on my name on the left there and the option to send a PM is there. Welcome to Boards!

sueme wrote: »
    If you get a chance could you post a link or more information on this program? I googles it, but no luck. Its sounds great. Thanks.

lol :o

Maybe I should use some of these educational programs!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

I used to work in this area. If you are looking for educational software check out:

www.do2learn.com
    www.edtech.ie
    www.chooseandtellseries.com
    www.diskovery.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭di11on

My daughter loves www.uptoten.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

Can anyone recommend some good websites that give educational games(spelling or numbers etc)for a 6 yr old.Just want to balance out his computer time,

Thanks in advance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

Thanks for the link

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭snellers

in the past for my little neice I have found the BBC - (CBBC) website to be fun but educational for kids

often many of the characters in the games are already known from seeing them on the tv/dvd so creates extra excitement and enthusiasm!

best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 yummymummy97

The Bayard range of monthly magazines are good for ages 3-12.

Check them out:

http://www.storyboxbooks.com/

http://www.adventureboxbooks.com/

http://www.discoveryboxbooks.com/

:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭snellers

The Bayard range of monthly magazines are good for ages 3-12.

Check them out:

http://www.storyboxbooks.com/

http://www.adventureboxbooks.com/

http://www.discoveryboxbooks.com/

:D

mmmmm.....the OP has asked for WEBSITES, not books/magazines.....me thinks a possible alternative reason you mention those particular books - do you work for them / sell them by chance? Not really on advertising in posts that don't even request the info

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭di11on

My 5 year old has had lots of fun on

www.uptoten.com

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Demonique

Mavis Beacon is good for older children, I used it to learn to touch type when I was about 15.
    It might be a good idea to turn off the sound as it beeps whenever a mistake is made and I made a lot of mistakes at first and there were several of us learning to use it at one time, so the constant beeping was very annoying

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

di11on wrote: »
    My daughter loves www.uptoten.com

Oh that is a fab site!! I use Boowa and Kwala for music intergration in Computers class with my senior infants. There are lovely songs with a little animation about making sandcastles or cleaning up, and then activities based on it. 67 songs I think and over 300 games!! Just sheer cuteness!

Boowa and Kwala

Another software program we use is Mouse Island, it has 3 levels of maths problems and they children love it!

Mouse Island

product_island.gif

Tizzy's Toybox is great for literacy and all the children that don't have English as a first language pick up a lot on it.

Tizzy's Toybox

thumbnail-MF1503_3510.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

Don't forget Tux Paint if they like to draw on the computer, its like a much better kid friendly version of paint but with stamps and brushes that can paint brick wall, grass, stars etc.

http://www.tuxpaint.org/

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭xxmarymoxx

My daughter also use www.starfall.com and i have to say its very good

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Stroke Politics

www.topmarks.co.uk is a good one too. I use it for English and maths games.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

If you have an old PC or laptop QIMO is top notch for kids. It's Linux but don't be afraid - the kids don't care. It's nice and friendly with big friendly buttons for the excellent educational games. The kids love it. Most of the games on it are the gCompris suite.

Note to non-technical people: it's a full operating system that will replace Windows. It will give you the option to set up a dual boot system so you can choose Qimo or Windows. Best option if you're new to Linux is to use an old pc that you may have lying around and install it on that for the kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Get em a typing tutor. There's a few on the market that make of it a game.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭chez-moi

We have a young boy with ASD. He's now 7. At about 5 years we heard about a website www.headsprout.com. The site is aimed at kindergarden gen kids. We set him up on the website cost approx USD140. It is absolutely amazing how much he has improved with his reading since he started and now completed the programme. His reading has deveped to the extent that is one of the better readers in his mainstream class. The other great thing is you get the first 3 lessons free so you get guage wether your child will take to the lessons

I can't recommend this website more.

Advertisement