Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How safe are you as a driver?

Options
  • 18-04-2008 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 78,417 ✭✭✭✭

Compared to how you perceive other boards.ie Motors board users, how safe are you as a driver?

Compared to other Motors board users, how safe are you as a driver? 73 votes

Substantially safer
    0% 0 votes
    Slightly safer
    34% 25 votes
    About the same
    28% 21 votes
    Slightly less safe
    23% 17 votes
    Substantially less safe
    5% 4 votes
    I don't drive
    8% 6 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

I don't know, i've never seen other boards users driving

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

Is this question being asked because all boards.ie drivers claims to be perfect? :pac:

or well, judging by alot of posts around here, they think they are?

Anyway, I voted " About the same " :p:D

• Registered Users Posts: 78,417 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Perception, based on what they say here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

heh?

where is the "How the f*ck should I know" option?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Bendihorse

I said slightly safer, based on a few recent posts iv read in here by people i would consider to be completely inconsiderate to other road users. I would consider myself very alert and aware of other road users while driving.

I have my arms wrapped around the leg of the wooden table here but i have never had an accident or even put a scrape on an alloy since i started driving at around 13 years old. (Off road obviously)
    Iv driven everything from JCB's to Jeeps to Small Cars to 580hp trucks. Please god ill never be involved in an accident, lucky for me iv never even been in a car that crashed, some of it is down to luck too, i realise that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭bman

Since almost everyone seems to think they're a better driver than they actually are you really have to take what people say about their driving skills with a pinch of salt (both on boards.ie and in the physical world).

I know I'm not a great driver. And never make out that I am.

From what people on here say I would imagine I'm about the same if not slightly below the standard of drivers here. But I am taking what they say at face value. I'm sure the standard is probably worse than that conveyed.

But having seen other people's lack of concentration / respect for other road users when driving around this country I would say that I am safer than the average Irish driver. That isn't me saying that I'm a good driver, but simply that the standard of drivers in general (in this country, I've never driven abroad) is quite low.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

I think safe driving can only come with experience.

A driver with 6,000 miles experience may consider themselves to be the safest driver in the world because they follow all the rules. The problem is when they find themselves in an unfamiliar situation, they have to think about what they should do and this eats valuable reaction time.

A driver with 250,000 miles experience will probably have been presented with practically every situation that can be encountered on the roads and will have built up instinctive reactions to dangerous situations.

Also, I dont think "safe" driving should be confused with "better" driving.
    IMO Schumacher is up there with the worlds best drivers, this doesn't make him a "safe" driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

stevec wrote: »
    I think safe driving can only come with experience.

A driver with 6,000 miles experience may consider themselves to be the safest driver in the world because they follow all the rules. The problem is when they find themselves in an unfamiliar situation, they have to think about what they should do and this eats valuable reaction time.

A driver with 250,000 miles experience will probably have been presented with practically every situation that can be encountered on the roads and will have built up instinctive reactions to dangerous situations.

Also, I dont think "safe" driving should be confused with "better" driving.
    IMO Schumacher is up there with the worlds best drivers, this doesn't make him a "safe" driver.

As a best guess I'd say I have driven about 750,000 miles since first getting a licence, and I probably have seen most things. I have never even won a parking ticket and have always had a clean licence. Even so, I have no doubt that there are some surprises left and I see myself as still learning all the time. Over confidence is another potential danger.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I'm statistically in the least safe age group (21, male, driving a small car with a turbo) and I do massive mileage compared to quite a few others here so I'd suspect I'm probably less safe than the b.ie average. I'm not dead yet, though.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Everyones perception of safe is different.
    I believe that I'm a safe driver. I'm not perfect but I do believe that I'm better than most on our roads - but that doesn't really count for much.
    I drive fast but I believe that I do so when safe to do so and whether I'm driving fast or slow I aim to be fully concious of all other road users and try to anticipate their next move.
    It doesn't necessarily mean that much possibly but I have never caused an incident nor have I any penalty points (grabs onto bendihorse's wooden table leg)!
    I do think that forums such as this have helped me improve my level.
    However, others may well see faults with my skills as I presumably would with theirs. Am I more safe or more dangerous that the pensioner driving long at 75% of the speed limit and who was never involved in an incident?

Compared to other boards users, I have never seen them drive. Some have come out with claims of dangerous antics whilst others are perfect drivers. Maybe I'm somewhere inbetween the lot of yis!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

kbannon wrote: »
    Everyones perception of safe is different
    I agree. For example, some people believe that they are safe drivers because they are courteous to other road users. However this courtesy is often misplaced and dangerous. Allowing a pedestrian to cross in front of you may be very dangerous but many people believe that they are contributing to the safety of the pedestrian by doing so. It is quite possible that they could be bringing the said pedestrian closer to his or her maker.

I think that most drivers over-estimate their skills. I hold a full unrestricted licence in all categories but I would describe my driving as having 'room for improvement'. I make mistakes everyday but I think that I am aware of them. I also get into whatever vehicle I'm driving with the thought that I could be killed today or kill someone else.

I'm a patient driver and very rarely allow myself to get annoyed behind the wheel. I can't remember the last time that I used the horn or flashed the lights in anger. Life is too short.

I would like to say that I have a clean licence but unfortunately, that duck was broken recently when I acquired 2 points for exceeding the posted speed limit on the M50 roadworks. :o I had four colleagues in the car and was heading to a trade union conference early in the morning. The craic was great in the car and I allowed myself to get up to 74kph. That probably indicates that I am an unsafe driver!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

after riding and a motorcycle every weekend I consider myself to be a much better and more aware driver, as observation is a life or death skill on a bike. It become second nature for cage driving also.
    Every one should ride a bike for a month . just to see how many A hole drivers there is out there.
    people driving around with there head up there arse on there mobile phone completely ignoring whats going on around them.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

gsxr1 wrote: »
    after riding and a motorcycle every weekend I consider myself to be a much better and more aware driver, as observation is a life or death skill on a bike.
    On a daily basis, the worst driving I usually see is presented by motorcyclists yet somehow most of them seem to consider themselves to be of a standard way above car drivers!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

dare I say that anyone who selected the substantially safer option would more than likely be a liability due to over confidence on the roads.

On a daily basis, the worst driving I usually see is presented by motorcyclists yet somehow most of them seem to consider themselves to be of a standard way above car drivers!

I agree there are some nutters out there, but i am not one of them.

The amount of time peeps have driven out in front of me is scary. It has concerned me so much that I am now selling my road bike and concentrating on track riding for my kicks instead. It least the only junction will be pit lane.

But . bike riding has still made me a better driver.
    the passing is what annoys people about biker the most. That I am fully aware of.

bikes are much faster and scare the **** out of drivers when come up on them quick. just keep your eyes open . A good rider will make you aware of there presence and when they want to pass.

I have been filtering and had cars pull out into my path in purpose. As if they want to send me to hospital. ?

this happens most time I am out for a spin. When driving it does not because im not as easy to bully but I still keep my eye peeled all the time as habit

In the car I never ever break the limit. When doing this I seem to gather a line of cars behind me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

gsxr1 wrote: »
    But . bike riding has still made me a better driver. the passing is what annoys people about biker the most. That I am fully aware of.

i also feel that my two years of being on a motorbike helped improve my awareness in car driving immensely.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭klaus23

This is a bit like asking a bloke how good he thinks he is in bed. The answer, inevitably, will be: "Brilliant."

klaus23 wrote: »
    This is a bit like asking a bloke how good he thinks he is in bed. The answer, inevitably, will be: "Brilliant."

but we are:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

I voted: Substantially less safe

A lot of the posters come across as knowing every rule of the road and follow them like religion, thus talking down to anyone who has any general queries.

That's just how they come across to me. I do aspire to be of the same caliber :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I voted about the same

Only place I break speed limits is really on the Motorway....when there aren't tools in white vans driving in the overtaking lane....like yesterday on the way back from Dundalk:mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

I know that I'm a poor driver...

I write off a car every 10 years (never my fault though!). I know I break some speed limit every day. I can be inconsiderate sometimes, especially yesterday when someone stopped at a green light and refused to move (the horn is still cooling down!) and so on....

BUT,

I never run a red light, I always stop at a stop & yield sign, I always obey road markings, I always drive on the left lane on dual carrageways (on the South Link in Cork, it's quicker as the right lane is full!). I never go 10kph over the limit, all of which I have seen this week.

Oh, as for car control, I'm above average I'd say, as many an evening has been spent in a field and on dirt lanes (I'm now learning how to control lift off oversteer in a French hot hatch with left foot braking)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,417 ✭✭✭✭Victor

So the poll bears out the concept that most people believe themselves to be better than average. A little humility and patience wouldn't go astray.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I get annoyed when:
    People stop in yellow boxes
    People break red lights
    People overtake on the inside
    People hold up lines of traffic
    People indicate wrongly or take the wrong lane at roundabouts
    and a myriad of other annoyances
    I don't do any of the above.

I haven't had someone beep at me in ages, and I have a clean license, therefore I'd say I'm above average safety wise

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

I have been driving since 14 (in a private field). Now driving legally one year, in this time i have never caused an accident (please god i won't). I have been rear ended though in a sudden stop incident where i had no choice. (thank god for braking distance+ ABS). I have avoided 2 potential accidents by always being aware and i know my driving isn't perfect but i do see myself as a safe driver aware of my surroundings, things coming up, distance etc. Also i follow speed limts occasionally fluctuate +or- 5km/h. My driving is calm and i have drove through a lot of situations.

The one thing i will say is how do you perceive as safe? nobody knows what tomorrow will bring. A driver may be on the road 10+ years and just as bad as somebody who just got a learner permit.

For the record i have a full licence.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I haven't had someone beep at me in ages

Since you sold the FTO.......;)

love the new sig LOL.

I get annoyed when:
    People stop in yellow boxes
    People break red lights
    People hold up lines of traffic
    People indicate wrongly or take the wrong lane at roundabouts
    and a myriad of other annoyances
    I don't do any of the above.

I haven't had someone beep at me in ages, and I have a clean license, therefore I'd say I'm above average safety wise

When peeps indicate right when in the outside lane and go straight on.

this make me swear behind the wheels. how is going straight on warrant any indication except when exiting the roundabout.

this gets me going along with overtaking past a junction or on solid white lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭bman

I get annoyed when:

They shouldn't need to overtake you on the inside. If you're going slower then get in to the left lane. In fact, if there's space on your left (which there must be if they're overtaking on the left) then move into it regardless of whether there's someone behind you or not.

I usually don;t overtake on the left but have found myself having to resort to this more and more recently given the amount of people that just won't move over.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

bman wrote: »
    They shouldn't need to overtake you on the inside. If you're going slower then get in to the left lane. In fact, if there's space on your left (which there must be if they're overtaking on the left) then move into it regardless of whether there's someone behind you or not.

I usually don;t overtake on the left but have found myself having to resort to this more and more recently given the amount of people that just won't move over.

I don't hog the outside lane, but I've seen people weave in and out of lanes to get ahead, that's what I'm referring to!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

I don't hog the outside lane, but I've seen people weave in and out of lanes to get ahead, that's what I'm referring to!

Still, the fact that there was room in the left lane to do this manoeuvre, means that you should have been in the left lane.

Lane hogging?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭Wossack

people cutting in from a left turn only lane etc - happens every day on Cuffe street (Kevin st approach to Stephens green) for example

Advertisement