Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FA Cup questions

• 18-04-2008 12:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭

1. Who was the first substitutes used in an FA Cup final, what year and who did he play for?

2. On two occasions 6 Irishmen have started an FA Cup Final while another 2 sat on the bench.

When did this occur, and name the teams involved?

I'll make it easy, Irish includes Norn Iron. I'll also discount the Arsenal-United final in 1979 which featured 8 starters but none on the bench.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

1. Dennis Clarke, for West Brom against Everton? 1968

2. 1978 and 80? Arsenal v Ipswich - Arsenal v West Ham

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

kerash wrote: »
    1. Dennis Clarke, for West Brom against Everton? 1968

Correct.
    kerash wrote: »
    2. 1978 and 80? Arsenal v Ipswich - Arsenal v West Ham

Neither really, there were 8 in 1978 only if you count Terry Neill as Arsenal manager, and even then he was the only one on the bench.

I'll give you a bonus point for 1980 as Arsenal had six starters, plus Neill and sub Sammy Nelson on the bench.

I should have stated that the 8 were all players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

Correct.

I'll give you a bonus point for 1980 as Arsenal had six starters, plus Neill and sub Sammy Nelson on the bench.

I should have stated that the 8 were all players.

W00t bonus points!! Can I have bonus points for not even being born then? It was a guess tho cos i remembered someone discussing those teams not so long ago.:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭Celtic67

1. Who was the first substitutes used in an FA Cup final, what year and who did he play for?

2. On two occasions 6 Irishmen have started an FA Cup Final while another 2 sat on the bench.

When did this occur, and name the teams involved?

I'll make it easy, Irish includes Norn Iron. I'll also discount the Arsenal-United final in 1979 which featured 8 starters but none on the bench.

I think 1983 Man U v Brighton????

Utd had Stapleton, Moran, Whiteside & Grimes on bench,
    Brighton had Grealish, Robinson, Gary Howlett, Kieran O'regan.

I think Brighton had another Irish fella also? Terry Conor/Gerry Connor/Terry Ryan or something like that??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Celtic67 wrote: »
    I think 1983 Man U v Brighton????

Utd had Stapleton, Moran, Whiteside & Grimes on bench,
    Brighton had Grealish, Robinson, Gary Howlett, Kieran O'regan.

Correct (apart from O'Regan who didn't feature as far as I can tell, Gerry Ryan was the 4th Brighton player and was on the bench)

The 2nd time it happened was the replay 5 days later...;):D:D:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement