Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Fake alarm?

Options
  • 18-04-2008 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭

Ok this may be a stupid question and I apologise if it is. Basically I drive a 95 Opel Corsa and the other night it got broken into. It had one of those immobiliser locks that goes around the gear stick and handbrake but it apparently wasn't much of a deterrent to the highly intelligent scumbag (Seriously, once he got the car started what exactly was he going to do?). My car was parked in a row of other cars but was the only one targeted. I'm assuming this is because it doesn't have an alarm. I'll be getting rid of the car in a few months but until then I can't afford a new one, nor do I think it's viable to install an alarm on the car as I'm probably going to scrap it. So I'm wondering if it's possible to get something for the car that makes it look like I have an alarm? You know how some cars have a red flashing light inside to show it has an alarm, something like that? Or have I just invented something?

If not, can anyone suggest any other means of deterring thieves? I know the chances of it getting broken into again are slim but I don't want to bet on it. I live in Limerick after all.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭5500

You can pick up leds in motorfactors that will flash once the ignition is turned off,i assume ths is what your thinking of,altho all it wont take long for someont to realise theres no alarm on the car by giving it a tap or bang

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

That's fair enough but I'm hoping they'd approach my car, see the light, notice the lock and wander off. I'd say there's 100+ cars parked around here, they'd have to REALLY want to go get my car if they ignore the lock and LED light when they could just as easily find another car. It's a student area so the cars aren't exactly the best models.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

ergonomics wrote: »
    That's fair enough but I'm hoping they'd approach my car, see the light, notice the lock and wander off. I'd say there's 100+ cars parked around here, they'd have to REALLY want to go get my car if they ignore the lock and LED light when they could just as easily find another car. It's a student area so the cars aren't exactly the best models.

They probably targeted you car cause its slightly older and much less likely to have a factory immobiliser which they can't get around...

The flashing LED is cheap (sub 4 euro) and they are really easy to fit, anyone who has ever fitted a car stereo would be able to fit one... And if they know what they are doing they'll be able to wire it only to flash when the ignition is turned off... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

Ok cool. I might get one of the locks that goes over the steering wheel instead. A lot of people who have the same lock as me (gear and handbrake) have had the same problem - the idiot breaks in and gets all the ignition stuff off and THEN notices the lock. Maybe the lock on the steering wheel will be more obvious.

Advertisement