Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where do you shop?

Options
  • 18-04-2008 12:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 410 ✭✭

Hey people I just recently moved to a new house and have tried a number of Super Markets in the area. They all seem to have their good and bad points, so just wondering where people are most likely to buy thier groceries...:D

I previously lived in Meakstown, Dublin 11. The Dunnes Stores out there was great, I always found what I was looking for. However, the Dunnes which is now closest to me is on the Crumlin Road and a huge let down. They have the store devided into several different units and its just plain annoying..:mad:

Which Supermarket do you tend to go to? 17 votes

Tesco
    0% 0 votes
    Superquinn
    47% 8 votes
    Dunnes Stores
    23% 4 votes
    Marks and Spencers
    29% 5 votes
    Lidl / Aldi
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

I shop in Tescos through lack of competition. There's a Spar too but that's even worse.

If I could choose where to shop that was also convenient to my home, I would like Marks or Dunnes as there own brand food is far superior to Tescos and roughly the same price.

For value, Lidl/Aldi ftw.

Never really shopped in a superquinn so dont know much about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Tesco's - but only because I like their 'Finest Range'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭Clink

I shop in SuperValu but there ain't no option to vote for that :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭carolmon

I do most of my shopping in Lidl and Aldi, I can't understand why people are snobbish about these shops, they offer a very reasonable range at excellent prices.

I find Lidl the best for fruit and veg, they have the biggest range, exotic fruit and now have lots of organic fruit/veg too.

Also buy all my frozen fish there, great selection, prawns/ salmon/ cod etc and some I hadn't tried before (ling, langoustine,) but buy regularly now.
    Good range of olives/ chillis and other appetisers too.

Aldi is best for cheeses, great range, good italian and brie etc.
    Also best for chilled range, fresh pastas/ sauces/ yoghurts/ salads etc.

Nice breads, ciabattas/ naan/ french/ wraps and bagels.

Good cereal/ pasta and rice range.

Cleaning materials good price.

The only thing I don't buy there is fresh meat, nothing wrong with it, just my preference to buy from my local butcher.

Really if you like to cook rather than eat processed microwavable food you will find nearly everything you need, far healthier too.

Enjoy
    Carol

ps nearly forgot to mention great selection of wine and beer, pinot noir for E6 can't go wrong.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I moved back to my folks house in August but I lived with my ex for 4 years before that and I always shopped at Dunnes, found them to be great value and their own brand stuff is pretty decent.. always lots of 2 for 1 deals on too..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I get a lift every couple of weeks to Tesco in Artaine Castle to stock the cupboards.

In the past, I would sometimes get the bus to Superquinn in Sutton, which used to be a very civilised shopping experience, but has slipped badly in recent years.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

flynnc8 wrote: »
    Hey people I just recently moved to a new house and have tried a number of Super Markets in the area. They all seem to have their good and bad points, so just wondering where people are most likely to buy thier groceries...:D

I previously lived in Meakstown, Dublin 11. The Dunnes Stores out there was great, I always found what I was looking for. However, the Dunnes which is now closest to me is on the Crumlin Road and a huge let down. They have the store devided into several different units and its just plain annoying..:mad:

Usually the Eurospar in Meakstown for me.

Aldi, Lidl, Dunnes, Superquinn all a short walk away, fabulous place to live for local amenities such as these.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

superquinn in lucan is brilliant.i love marks food too so sometimes there in liffey valley-the tesco in lucan is horrible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 410 ✭✭flynnc8

Usually the Eurospar in Meakstown for me.

Aldi, Lidl, Dunnes, Superquinn all a short walk away, fabulous place to live for local amenities such as these.

+1

Miss Meakstown terribley everything was so close by.... have to have a good hike to the local stores now..:(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

I generally shop in Dunnes because it's just across the road from me, if there was one nearby I'd definitely shop in superquinn.

• Advertisement
Advertisement