Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newsnight last night.

• 18-04-2008 12:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/newsnight/default.stm

I don't know if anyone was watching it. Basicallly radicalised Psycho's wanting to kill everybody, you know the score. Something struck me though when watching it. They said he was preaching at Regents Park Mosque??? Now I don't equate Muslim = Terrorist even if these Psycho's do, but how or why are these people allowed access to Mosques?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Can't watch the video at work, but to answer you question.

Anyone can go into a Mosque. Now if he was preaching there, then thats a different story and the people running the Mosque have some questions to ask.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

wes wrote: »
    Can't watch the video at work, but to answer you question.

Anyone can go into a Mosque. Now if he was preaching there, then thats a different story and the people running the Mosque have some questions to ask.

It was certainly presented in such a way, i try to be careful of takin the media reports as fact though. Its quite disturbing, these peoples rationale. i remember working with a Muslim in London, lovely guy. We had a few conversations about these things. He was quite angry that these guys had 'hijacked' his religion. However, if they are allowed say these things in Mosques, then I would argue its a bit more serious than a few Psycho's.

Well, all Mosque's aren't linked together remember. They can be run by different groups. So some Mosque may allow this sort of thing.

Still I think the people who run such Mosques have a lot to answer for, by allowing this sort of thing to go on. Perhaps they need to vet people better, if its a case of ignorance on there part, if it was intentional they need to be fired and new people brought on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 90 ✭✭blackthorn

Yeah I saw an item on this on some news programme yesterday and they said that the mosque authorities had tried to remove him from the mosque, he refused to go so they called the police on him. They showed a clip of his preaching at the mosque which amounted to him sitting with a small group of his cronies in the prayer hall and someone videoing him giving his talk. In the background could be seen some worshippers coming and going not paying his group any notice.

I don't believe he was ever allowed to preach from the pulpit. But like Wes said, anyone can go into a mosque, it's not like there are bouncers on the door. This guy obviously took advantage of that to make his videos at Regent's park, possibly trying to get kudos from filming himself at that location. Thankfully, the mosque got the better of him. Regent's Park is the first mosque I ever prayed in, so I'm glad the people there are on the ball and not allow it become a place for extremists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

blackthorn wrote: »
    Yeah I saw an item on this on some news programme yesterday and they said that the mosque authorities had tried to remove him from the mosque, he refused to go so they called the police on him.

I didn't hear that bit or maybe that wasn't the same piece I was watching. Great to hear though.
    They showed a clip of his preaching at the mosque which amounted to him sitting with a small group of his cronies in the prayer hall and someone videoing him giving his talk. In the background could be seen some worshippers coming and going not paying his group any notice.

Yeah, thats what I remember. If what you said above didn't take place though (Police being called to remove him), then it would still be bad, even if it wasn't from the pulpit. It would be worst for muslims themselves. People seeing these Psycho's going in and out of your place of worship freely, would have most people equate it to supporting them. Delighted that the Mosque authorities sorted it out though.

• Advertisement

blackthorn wrote: »
    Yeah I saw an item on this on some news programme yesterday and they said that the mosque authorities had tried to remove him from the mosque, he refused to go so they called the police on him. They showed a clip of his preaching at the mosque which amounted to him sitting with a small group of his cronies in the prayer hall and someone videoing him giving his talk. In the background could be seen some worshippers coming and going not paying his group any notice.

I don't believe he was ever allowed to preach from the pulpit. But like Wes said, anyone can go into a mosque, it's not like there are bouncers on the door. This guy obviously took advantage of that to make his videos at Regent's park, possibly trying to get kudos from filming himself at that location. Thankfully, the mosque got the better of him. Regent's Park is the first mosque I ever prayed in, so I'm glad the people there are on the ball and not allow it become a place for extremists.

Thanks for that. Couldn't find more info on that, cheers.

Advertisement