Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A very serious Graphics Question

Options
  • 18-04-2008 12:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭

But you wont have to trawl a thousand websites and ten thousand reviews and still be left with on hundred thousand questions.

NVIDIA

Do you pronounce it 'EN' Vidia or 'NU' Vidia (like the U sound in the word up)

I always assumed it was EN vidia just the way i read it. but i've heard a number of people say NU vidia.

How do you say it.
    Also evidence of how it should be pronounced would be appreciated ie. adverts sound bites. Danke

EN or NU 22 votes

EN
    0% 0 votes
    NU
    95% 21 votes
    Niether!? god only knows but sure go on.
    4% 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

who pronounces it NU-vidia??? Did you just make this up or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Virgil°

In all my years of computer enthusiasm i have NEVER heard anyone say NU-vidia.
    How have you pronounced the letter "N" all your life?

• Registered Users Posts: 82,411 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Guilty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭DanGerMus

L31mr0d wrote: »
    who pronounces it NU-vidia??? Did you just make this up or something?

Nope, hand on my heart, my brother who's an admin, a guy he works with and a guy i went to college with all use the Nu sound.

I always thought it was EN. It's just the fact that most people i've heard actually use the word say NU. Most of my friends aren't into PCs like me so i don't talk to them about it. Most of my conversations are online and as such i would have no way of knowing which brings me to... wel .. here ... :)
    Virgil° wrote: »
    In all my years of computer enthusiasm i have NEVER heard anyone say NU-vidia.
    How have you pronounced the letter "N" all your life?

Agreed i see it as N-vidia if you get my meaning, like they've strung a few words together like envision media or something and have replaced the En with an N. anyone know what to call this?

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Its N-Vidia you can hear it pronounced in loads of Nvidia dev videos etc...

I have heard some people say neh-vidia which makes me sad :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,411 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

doest it really matter?

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Is it really even ambiguous? How could you get nu-vidia? N-Vidia....just how it's spelt :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

I've met with some folks who've worked for Nvidia...........and yes.....it's "N"vidia:p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

DanGerMus wrote: »
    ...like they've strung a few words together like envision media or something and have replaced the En with an N. anyone know what to call this?
    I'm not a linguistics expert but I think they call it a contraction.

And I'd say it's definitely meant to be "N" vidia, like Justin Timberlake's old boy band "N" sync

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

duridian wrote: »

And I'd say it's definitely meant to be "N" vidia, like Justin Timberlake's old boy band "N" sync

Or Nforce???:o

......i'll get me coat!:(

Advertisement