Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tiesto

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dellboy2007

Zascar wrote: »
    Dude, trolling or not, you're being a cheeky pr1ck for someone with 85 posts. This is a very friendly board - and as much as I hate Tiesto too, I'm not going to blatently slag off the people that do like him...

I didn't know you had to have over 1000 posts to before you could have an opinion. And i wasn't aware that i blatently slagged someone off. If i did i'm sure an ADMIN or a MOD would have warned me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

you see, Tiesto causes conflict!!

Personally I'm not into him at all at all, because I find trance to be the most naive sounding cheesy crap ever, but each to his own.

I have a few friends who like him and have seen him a few times and thought it was incredible. But then again they've never really been exposed to much music (let alone dance music). Bottom line is, a lot of people are going to go. People like myself are going to be accused of music snobbery.
    I take the whole tiesto thing in the same way I take big blockbuster action movies - they might be cheesy but you get a bit of a laugh and entertainment out of them. Not that i'd go, but i certainly see the appeal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

MYOB wrote: »
    We'll disagree about the opinions on what is and isn't ****e, but there is a problem in the Republic where theres a far higher % of just general scum that go to trance events - particularly hard trance events and anything related to Tiesto. Go up North, or on to the continent, and this isn't repeated.

Trance events in Holland have one of the highest age profiles of any dance events there - audience regularly has more late 20s than late teens in it. It seems to just be a southern thing of 17 year old skangers in tracksuits going to trance events... have any of you had to witness the CARNAGE that happens when Scot Project plays somewhere here? Not a pretty sight...

Don't come near Ardboyne in Meath tomorrow night then, Letrik have them playing :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 kisshoney

I didn't know you had to have over 1000 posts to before you could have an opinion. And i wasn't aware that i blatently slagged someone off. If i did i'm sure an ADMIN or a MOD would have warned me.

its like this u either love him or hate him. i just love the man i think he puts on a great show for his fans u cant take that away from him, so who ever is goin glad u got a ticket see ya there, whooo hooooooooo

kisshoney wrote: »
    its like this u either love him or hate him. i just love the man i think he puts on a great show for his fans u cant take that away from him, so who ever is goin glad u got a ticket see ya there, whooo hooooooooo

What will you be wearing

What will you be wearing

why do u ask that

Coz i want to see if my stereotype is true or not

Coz i want to see if my stereotype is true or not

wot a load of bull

I'll be wearing some brown shoes, jeans and a t-shirt - no dust-suit, ugg boots or anything of the sort for me thanks :)

I might bring my Irish flag that so far I've gotten Ferry Corsten and Armin to sign :)

• Advertisement

I'll be wearing some brown shoes, jeans and a t-shirt - no dust-suit, ugg boots or anything of the sort for me thanks :)

I might bring my Irish flag that so far I've gotten Ferry Corsten and Armin to sign :)

i cant understand why he asked wot i was wearing im very casual dresser im not into dressing up for it id wear a jeans and t-shirt and have a great night. oh and my camera for the memories

kisshoney wrote: »
    wot a load of bull

Well you'll never know now will ya.

For the record I USED to like him back around 2002. I think he put a lot of work in when mixin and sh!t. Now i think he's just lazy. I thought Nyana (the mix cd) was a great mix with some good techno in it as well.

What year did you get in to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Cheeky_gal

Tiesto Tiesto Tiesto Tiesto Tiesto

Well you'll never know now will ya.

For the record I USED to like him back around 2002. I think he put a lot of work in when mixin and sh!t. Now i think he's just lazy. I thought Nyana (the mix cd) was a great mix with some good techno in it as well.

What year did you get in to him.

What is with the air of superiority. If kisshoney says she got into him when she first heard Adagio 2 years ago or whatever then what are you going to do next, roll your eyes and think "He's too commercial"? Get over yourself man, and quit reeking up the thread

What is with the air of superiority. If kisshoney says she got into him when she first heard Adagio 2 years ago or whatever then what are you going to do next, roll your eyes and think "He's too commercial"? Get over yourself man, and quit reeking up the thread

No i wasn't it was actually just a simple question. I would probably have recommended her to go and get nyana that's all. A bit paranoid there man you might want to see someone about that.

Uh huh :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Uh huh :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Ya :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 goldfish007

and il be wearing furry pink boots, ill have whistles hanging outa me left right and centre and il be wearing a pair of hotpants and some bikini top!

ha jesus no! think it;ll be runner,jeans and a nice t shirt for me-COMFORT is what u need when ur gona dance! and il be dancing all night long!

ppl may think he plays cheesy tracks, maybe he does, maybe he doesnt, but the thing is, he puts on such quality shows, everyone is guareenteed (sp!!) a good night, so stop dissing Tiesto! each to their own!:rolleyes:

Remember to get mid-centre for the end when he'll throw out his headphones. Some scummer stole them outta my own hands at Hi-Fi in 2006...

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

I can never understand the absolute ignorance of people to insult others and their music taste simply because they don't like the music. Then go one step further and refer to it as 'sh*t' or dismiss a whole genre such as trance as 'naive cheesy crap' based on an individuals personal music taste. I hadn't read this thread as I am personally not into Tiesto but had a hunch that there would be the type of remarks I have since had the pleasure to read :rolleyes:

What gives you the right to dismiss others taste and be offensive towards their choice/preference of musical genres and social event because you don't agree?

Is it that your music choice is technically better in terms of production or sonic qualities? If so and there really is some valid argument and basis for the remarks, back it up and make your input somewhat worthwhile. An opinion is like an assh*le, everyone's got one but it would be nice to back it up somehow and at least have an educated debate on the subject.

Is there something maybe that others have missed in relation to what they enjoy musically and you butting in will educate them somehow to your ways? Tiesto seems to pack a fair following so you have a lot of educating to do with your high-horse attitude to music.

This is a forum to discuss dance/electronic music and as such everyone has the right to discuss music they like. Equally if someone has a valid reason to comment as to why they dislike the style that should be fine too, without slagging the person off and as I said already, back it up. Otherwise the thread falls into insults, a MOD locks it and the people who suffer are the people into the music in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,497 ✭✭✭francois

I agree with your sentiments Felix, but when people feel paassionate about music, especially a genre which has a certain purist element about it ( and you can include indie, jazz, classical and folk in this) people who really love "their music" find it objectional that someone comes along and somehow debases (in other words, makes it popular) that music-peolpe get defensive, it's only natural.
    anyway i think "It's Not Intelligent...And It's Not From Detroit...But It's ****in' 'Avin It " on pounding grooves sums it all up!
    http://www.discogs.com/release/168270

Tiesto is still ****e though :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

Felixdhc wrote: »
    I or dismiss a whole genre such as trance as 'naive cheesy crap' based on an individuals personal music taste.

ok just to clarify that musically trance (well the tiesto kind of stuff) is characterised by chord structures and melodies which are musically speaking very cheesy, and very naiive sounding. I think this is actually the reason for it's mass appeal. And there's nothing wrong with that.

If you studied that kind of stuff from a musical academic perspective, you would find the same.
    That's not to say that that it's not good (obviously the 'crap' part is purely my personal taste) but there is a certain amount of objectivity in the description of it being cheesy and naiive sounding.

I like a lot of tracks that are well cheesy and naiive, so i'm not gonna be too much of a snob about it and say therefore it's 'bad' music. There's no such thing as bad music obviously.

to be honest i don't think anyone takes offence to someone saying something is sh1te, even if they really like it. I certainly couldn't give a sh1te what people think about music. Apologies if anyone was offended. As i said, i have friends who like tiesto and that's what they're into. fair enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,927 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Don't come near Ardboyne in Meath tomorrow night then, Letrik have them playing :D

I suspect I'm barred from the Ardboyne for my debs night still :D

francois wrote: »
    I agree with your sentiments Felix, but when people feel paassionate about music, especially a genre which has a certain purist element about it ( and you can include indie, jazz, classical and folk in this) people who really love "their music" find it objectional that someone comes along and somehow debases (in other words, makes it popular) that music-peolpe get defensive, it's only natural.
    anyway i think "It's Not Intelligent...And It's Not From Detroit...But It's ****in' 'Avin It " on pounding grooves sums it all up!

That looks a fairly full-on mix, good name to get the drift too so I do take the point alright :D I suppose the thing for me is that I have found over the last while if I am critical of someones music taste that I am basically being ignorant as there have been so many times where a genre of music (not just in dance or electronic) I have not liked but listened more and ending up loving... now in fairness thats not likely with the Tiesto buzz but I still wouldn't see how it gives me the right to slag it off and say my music taste is better - if you took some of the experimental stuff from the likes of Vladislav Delay and played it to most people they would say it was just noise and not even music yet I love his stuff and would probably defend my taste in it (try anyway cause that might be an extreme example where I may not get anywhere :D

The thing is too for me that after my rant yesterday on Tiesto and the slagging off genres, I was in my kitchen not long after and wanted my wife to turn off the radio as it is only shi(te being played so fell back into it myself :D:pac: I just don't feel though tht its right still to join a conversation just to rip the pss on the music taste when especially in this case where most of the fans I suspect will be quite young anyway.
    jtsuited wrote: »
    ok just to clarify that musically trance (well the tiesto kind of stuff) is characterised by chord structures and melodies which are musically speaking very cheesy, and very naiive sounding. I think this is actually the reason for it's mass appeal. And there's nothing wrong with that.

If you studied that kind of stuff from a musical academic perspective, you would find the same.
    That's not to say that that it's not good (obviously the 'crap' part is purely my personal taste) but there is a certain amount of objectivity in the description of it being cheesy and naiive sounding.

I like a lot of tracks that are well cheesy and naiive, so i'm not gonna be too much of a snob about it and say therefore it's 'bad' music. There's no such thing as bad music obviously.

to be honest i don't think anyone takes offence to someone saying something is sh1te, even if they really like it. I certainly couldn't give a sh1te what people think about music. Apologies if anyone was offended. As i said, i have friends who like tiesto and that's what they're into. fair enough.

There is a difference now though from what you had previously said and just took trance as all cheesy and naive and tarred it all with a 'Tiesto' brush. What Tiesto plays and trance from the early 90's say are two very differents things and actually there are many other examples of trance that are miles apart from Tiesto, I just hate the generalisation of a genre based on one DJ and his following.

I do understand what you are saying in relation to the chord structures and melodies and don't need to have studied from an academic perspective to understand that - it still doesn't make the creation say of a cheesy trance track any less ability wise for the producer than a respected genre say like minimal in your case or dub-techno in someone elses.

And after all that, if someone played a Tiesto mix for me, I would probably say too that it's shi*te, but I'd add... IMO :pac: I'm hungover.

Felixdhc wrote: »
    That looks a fairly full-on mix, good name to get the drift too so I do take the point alright :D I suppose the thing for me is that I have found over the last while if I am critical of someones music taste that I am basically being ignorant as there have been so many times where a genre of music (not just in dance or electronic) I have not liked but listened more and ending up loving... now in fairness thats not likely with the Tiesto buzz but I still wouldn't see how it gives me the right to slag it off and say my music taste is better - if you took some of the experimental stuff from the likes of Vladislav Delay and played it to most people they would say it was just noise and not even music yet I love his stuff and would probably defend my taste in it (try anyway cause that might be an extreme example where I may not get anywhere :D

The thing is too for me that after my rant yesterday on Tiesto and the slagging off genres, I was in my kitchen not long after and wanted my wife to turn off the radio as it is only shi(te being played so fell back into it myself :D:pac: I just don't feel though tht its right still to join a conversation just to rip the pss on the music taste when especially in this case where most of the fans I suspect will be quite young anyway.

There is a difference now though from what you had previously said and just took trance as all cheesy and naive and tarred it all with a 'Tiesto' brush. What Tiesto plays and trance from the early 90's say are two very differents things and actually there are many other examples of trance that are miles apart from Tiesto, I just hate the generalisation of a genre based on one DJ and his following.

I do understand what you are saying in relation to the chord structures and melodies and don't need to have studied from an academic perspective to understand that - it still doesn't make the creation say of a cheesy trance track any less ability wise for the producer than a respected genre say like minimal in your case or dub-techno in someone elses.

And after all that, if someone played a Tiesto mix for me, I would probably say too that it's shi*te, but I'd add... IMO :pac: I'm hungover.

tiestoooooooooooooo all the way u are either there or ur not, simple as that....................

and il be wearing furry pink boots, ill have whistles hanging outa me left right and centre and il be wearing a pair of hotpants and some bikini top!

ha jesus no! think it;ll be runner,jeans and a nice t shirt for me-COMFORT is what u need when ur gona dance! and il be dancing all night long!

ppl may think he plays cheesy tracks, maybe he does, maybe he doesnt, but the thing is, he puts on such quality shows, everyone is guareenteed (sp!!) a good night, so stop dissing Tiesto! each to their own!:rolleyes:

im with u on that one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Phaetonman

Anybody who enjoys Tiesto has a rotten brain, no other explanation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 goldfish007

and why's that then?

and why's that then?

no answer lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Lucas Maximus

hey ive been a big tiesto fan for a long time now, and yes adagio is how i first heard of him, but it is such a gd tune, it gets any party going! i went to see him last year in the point and it was like a dream, me and my best friend went, we were only 16, but it was amazing! we already have our tickets for ballinlough and our counting the days! his music gives me a tingling sensation on the back of my neck! so people who are dissing it, do you have any type of music that has such an effect on you??? because if music can do that to you, its gotta be special!

hey ive been a big tiesto fan for a long time now, and yes adagio is how i first heard of
    That track is just a kick drum with a synth playing a midi file of barbers adagio. That tingling feeling you get is from the orginal which is a beautiful piece of music.

If you want the same impact I'd suggest looking for some modern string compositions by guys like johan johannason.

• Advertisement

francois wrote: »

I completely agree with this, except for the highlighted part.

Gotta say though, nothing irritates me more than hearing people brag about their love for a certain artist like Tiesto when they're not genuinely a true fan. For instance, I was talking to a friend yesterday about how amazing this concerts gonna be and she was all about how "OMG I knoooooow, It's gonna be AMAAAAAAAZING!" and the girl can only name one song, "adagio for strings" !! :mad:

It's almost like disrespecting the other person. Like I've been a huge Tiesto fan for many years, would have all his remixes etc and hearing people like this talk absolute waffle and their passion for his music just makes you wanna kill yourself jesus!

What the fúck are you on about? Concert?

Its some dutch cúnt playing records in a room. If your going to be snob about music you need to choose somebody better than Tiesto as well.

Phaetonman wrote: »
    What the fúck are you on about? Concert?

Its some dutch cúnt playing records in a room. If your going to be snob about music you need to choose somebody better than Tiesto as well.

haha oh yea, because expressing that people who claim to have a real passion for an artist who couldn't even tell you where he's from irritates me definately makes me a snob. Well done. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,927 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Ah, music snobs. I love the way one of their very, very few arguments seems to come down to 'its not a concert, its someone playing records'.

Somewhat falls apart when the artist in question actually composes music. And its always said by someone who's never attempted DJing in their life... Even better is them accusing *someone else* of being a snob!

As goes Adagio, its horrifically commercial, possibly his worst track, and wasn't even the first trance edit of it out there - Corsten's remix of William Orbit's version predates it. He has many far, far better works both as a solo artist and with Corsten as Gouryella - which, I bet, most of the fluffy boots wearing contingent at the gig will never have heard of!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

OK I'm going to play devils advocate here - can anyone point me in the direction of what they consider a fantastic piece of work from either Tiesto or Paul Van Dyke (tune or preferably a full live set) - and I'm honestly going to open my mind and give it and go and see if I can work out what everyone thinks is so great about them.

I find it hard to believe (or at least I really truly hope) that these guys who are consistently top of the 'best dj' chart year on year, can't be there simply because of sheer number of people with bad taste...

Silly question maybe, but are there people who might consider themselves music snobs like many of us, who maybe have a very educated and experienced knowledge of current electronic music (the likes of which would get discussed on this board etc) who are also very much into Tiesto and PVD - or is there more of a strict dividing line between the people who like them, and the people who like other stuff?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Oh, and why doesn't someone add a poll to this thread - a public poll so you can see who has voted what:

"Do you like Tiesto?"
    A) Hell Yeah - He is the God of Modern Electronic Music
    2) Fcuk No - He sucks Giant Monkey Balls
    etc etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Zascar wrote: »
    OK I'm going to play devils advocate here - can anyone point me in the direction of what they consider a fantastic piece of work from either Tiesto or Paul Van Dyke (tune or preferably a full live set) - and I'm honestly going to open my mind and give it and go and see if I can work out what everyone thinks is so great about them.

PVD's recent essential mix was pretty damn good, he's defintiely the better DJ of the two. (can't remember the exact date, I think it was within the past 6 months though)

Can't say that I've ever heard a great recording of a Tiesto live set, but he's still fairly entertaining when you see him play (more of a trained monkey than a DJ...)

Shut up Zascar, you're into electro house and can in no way look down on a trance dj.
    Silly question maybe, but are there people who might consider themselves music snobs like many of us, who maybe have a very educated and experienced knowledge of current electronic music (
    Are you for real? You must be one of hte most musically ignorant people on this board.

Ah, music snobs. I love the way one of their very, very few arguments seems to come down to 'its not a concert, its someone playing records'.

Somewhat falls apart when the artist in question actually composes music. And its always said by someone who's never attempted DJing in their life... Even better is them accusing *someone else* of being a snob!

You make no sense man. I can only assume that you are bit of a tard.

The way I see it really is that Tiesto and the like are lets say the 'popular music' of dance and as such have a large following. Dance music (or what we all know as dance music) is in its 3rd decade now (in terms of 80's, 90's and 00's) and has had many shifts in genres, clubs, styles etc and is bound to have ended up with a large popular type appeal in some of it's genres - because Tiesto etc have been rated as best DJ proves that really... mass-market, branding and money will drive what is in demand (or what has been presented to) from a young market. His sound is obviously less intrusive say then techno, minimal or breakcore etc :eek: - a less intrusive and more melodic sound will have a larger following than any other more underground style can ever possibly have, you only need to listen to current radio to back that up. This is where I go against my earlier rant as it may offend some but Tiesto could be deemed maybe as a 'boyband' of the DJ/Dance world :pac:

• Advertisement

MYOB wrote: »

As goes Adagio, its horrifically commercial, possibly his worst track, and wasn't even the first trance edit of it out there - Corsten's remix of William Orbit's version predates it. He has many far, far better works both as a solo artist and with Corsten as Gouryella - which, I bet, most of the fluffy boots wearing contingent at the gig will never have heard of!

+1

Gouryella - look them up. Ligaya ftw!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,605 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Ive been away for the weekend, and this thread has gotten out of hand.

locked.

For some reason boards is running v slow for me at the mo, so I can review and action the thread properly, I'll do that when boards is working properly again for me.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement