Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grrr Dell

Options
  • 18-04-2008 2:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭

I bought an xps m1300 laptop from dell last august, my warranty runs out this august.

So far the following have gone wrong in this order I think, My fan had to be replaced, my screen, my CD drive, my motherboard, my power cord had to be replaced three times, my graphics card, the system had to be wiped and rebooted.

Basically all that is left is the hard drive. Recently windows has been failing to start, it takes me about three goes to start the system properly. Today it announced that it couldn't find my hard drive!

I rang dell and they made me run the usual tests, nothing was shown to be wrong with the hard drive. The guy claimed that it was normal and the hard drive sometimes moves around!!? To me that indicates a problem with the connection at the least? He however insists its normal and is dismissing it. He is insisting that the start up problem I am experiencing is merely a software issue. And is doing me a favor by sending me out the discs for another reboot.

What are my rights? At this point I want a replacement laptop, everything is going wrong. I suspect that they are stringing me along until the warranty is out. Grr so angry right now!:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

I wouldn't have let it get this far. did all those items you mentioned have to be replaced? or just the fan and the cord?

As you properly read the thread below regrading a laptop and PC world. The way he got a result was going straight to the top, i suggest you do the same. this is practically a new laptop now, the one thing that wasn't replaced is now giving you trouble. Because it was a different item every time they might try get out of giving you a new one, a lot of times its three repairs before its changed but im not sure if laptops are different.

I wouldn't wait any longer, get it sorted now in time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Susannahmia

davton wrote: »
    I wouldn't have let it get this far. did all those items you mentioned have to be replaced? or just the fan and the cord?

As you properly read the thread below regrading a laptop and PC world. The way he got a result was going straight to the top, i suggest you do the same. this is practically a new laptop now, the one thing that wasn't replaced is now giving you trouble. Because it was a different item every time they might try get out of giving you a new one, a lot of times its three repairs before its changed but im not sure if laptops are different.

I wouldn't wait any longer, get it sorted now in time

They all had to be replaced, I have asked for a full replacement but they just dismissed me. I guess I've not been assertive enough.:o This time I made him take note that if one more hardware issue occurred I wanted a full replacement. Now they wont admit that my current issue is a hardware one. There have been like 5 repairs I think. Should I wait till I get the replacement software or ring back? I really suck at this stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,514 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Ring and ask to speak to a supervisor and demand a replacemenet because your machine is not fit for the purpose it was meant. Mate had laptop for 3 years with lots of trouble and replacements and they still refunded him the cash so worth arguing the case.

Yippe! I rang the Irish customer agency as I saw their number in the other thread. I then rang dell and mentioned that I had been on to the agency while asking to speak with a supervisor. The tone changed immediately and I was offered a replacement right away!:D

I cant believe that after all that bother it was sorted out so quickly just with the mention of a name.:rolleyes: Luckily he guy I got onto was really nice and helpful (for once) and said that I had actually had eight call outs!

Thanks for the advice guys! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Result!

Well done. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

great result,, couldn't have asked for quick.

congrats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭squibs

Also - re the problems - I think you were maybe just unlucky. I have 5 dells in the house (1 laptop), and had 4 dells in previous lives (2 laptops and 2 pcs), plus dealings with servers we bought in 1999which still worked (slowly) in 2007. They have all just worked. Everything in the house has been completely reliable - no hardware failures at all, ever.

squibs wrote: »
    Also - re the problems - I think you were maybe just unlucky. I have 5 dells in the house (1 laptop), and had 4 dells in previous lives (2 laptops and 2 pcs), plus dealings with servers we bought in 1999which still worked (slowly) in 2007. They have all just worked. Everything in the house has been completely reliable - no hardware failures at all, ever.

Oh yeah I know I was, my boyfriend bought an identical one the day after me and he has had no problems at all, for the most part the m1330s are great machines.

Advertisement