Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL Broadband Problems

• 18-04-2008 2:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭

Anybody else experiencing problems for the last few days?

I live in the inner city and NTL broadband, but not the TV service, has been down for the past 3 days.

The reason why I'm posting is because I seem to remember there being lots of NTL expertise on here. :) I'm 99% sure it's nothing they'd have to come to the house for because, basically, nothing has changed. Everything is still connected as before. Is this generally a case of them flicking a switch at their centre to fix it? I mean the wire is connected because we have TV.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Ya seems people have problems with them in Waterford at least, good few threads on it IIRC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 jdb66

Tuesday,Wednesday and Thursday it was down for a couple of hours (no surprises there) but no problems with it so far today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

All over the shop today for me......95% packet loss on any ping -t I set up. A symptom of the impending upgrade I hope.......

Dunmore road btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Scotchie

yeah, mine's been up and down for the past 3-4 days, no synch for a few hours yesterday. Digital TV also freezing a lot, especially at 3 in the morning during Countdown ! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

yeah tv freezing alot last few days, reckon it has something to do with the new digi boxes. Mine has froze a few times lately and when it restarts it applies an update to the service. If it wasn't for the handy broadband I'd go for sky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

you can now get a 'broadband only' package from NTL without having to get the basic TV package. I downgraded mine last month as I have Sky HD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Yeah if you do not want the cable , but you want BB you have to pay a €6 fee though. Also my BB has been alright for the last few days here ( ardkeen ) only thing is that Youtube is **** slow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Bards wrote: »
    you can now get a 'broadband only' package from NTL without having to get the basic TV package. I downgraded mine last month as I have Sky HD

How much is the broadband only?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Trotter wrote: »
    How much is the broadband only?

http://www.upc.ie/internet

They're talking about 1,6 and 12 meg connections. Im with NTL for a couple of years and Im still on the old 2mb package. I'm gonna see why Im not eligable for the 6.. As far as I can see Im paying the same.

• Advertisement

There is far more detail on this in the BB forum and it has been explained many times, but this is basically how it is going to go .

Come June you will be able to upgrade to the 6 Mb connection for the same price. Atm they are only offering the new speed/price formats to new customers.

I am on the 6 Mb line atm, I too have to wait till June to upgrade to the 12 Mb line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

No problem here. Upper City area. Please see below speed test taken at 9:30pm approx tonight (Saturday). 6 Meg Line.

261509431.png

Yeah if you do not want the cable , but you want BB you have to pay a €6 fee though. Also my BB has been alright for the last few days here ( ardkeen ) only thing is that Youtube is **** slow.

Even though they have downgraded me to BB only, I can still receive basic Cable TV!!

Lol, are you sure you are not paying for the cable still?? They may have ****ed up.

Initially when you could only when you had to have the basic TV to get the BB they said that there was no way for them to prevent customers from getting the basic cable package, that was why they forced people to get the basic package if they wanted BB.

Lol, are you sure you are not paying for the cable still?? They may have ****ed up.

Initially when you could only when you had to have the basic TV to get the BB they said that there was no way for them to prevent customers from getting the basic cable package, that was why they forced people to get the basic package if they wanted BB.

Yeah I Know, I initally only wanted BB but had to take their basic TV offering as well, but I signed up for myUPC and can see the invoice on-line and have seen a reduction from €96 approx to €62 approx and I only cancelled in the last month, so a whole billing period has not yet passed.

I hate the way the advertise prices on their website which excludes VAT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Disastrous again tonight?

Yeah I thought it seemed to be slow last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

Theres 3 ntl vans working on cables in Viewmount for the past couple of days.

Might have something to do with it.

I was pinging rediculously high today. I was getting a ping of 280 -320 on a server where other people from Ireland were pinging 150ms. Somethings up anyway.

Mine's gone completely today.. Dunmore road.. I'm at my parents place checking email. Its such a pain in the behind.

• Advertisement

Hmmm, I am assuming its only a matter of time before they get around to ****ing up my BB. The only thing is, is that they are more then likely doing this to enable the higher speeds that will become widespread in June.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 adebisi

Top of the town here, no hassle at all with BB. If you want to avail of the higher speeds, you can either ring their sales line or send an email from the website and they'll upgrade you - takes 24 hours afaik. If you upgrade tho, it's a new 12 month contract, but I've had ntl bb for 5 years now, never a problem. While their tv service does leave a lot to be desired, their bb, in my experience, is faultless (frantically touching wood here, just in case)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

We haven't got any kind of a signal for nearly 2 weeks at this stage. They're allegedly coming out on Saturday. Apparently it has been an ongoing problem in the house. I think it's time to drop cable. Maybe we're almost out of "range" or maybe the wiring is bad, I don't know. Either way, this is not acceptable.

Does anybody know about the availability/quality of wireless broadband in Waterford city centre? Otherwise it looks like 55 euro or thereabouts to Eircom/Whoever.

merlante wrote: »
    We haven't got any kind of a signal for nearly 2 weeks at this stage. They're allegedly coming out on Saturday. Apparently it has been an ongoing problem in the house. I think it's time to drop cable. Maybe we're almost out of "range" or maybe the wiring is bad, I don't know. Either way, this is not acceptable.

Does anybody know about the availability/quality of wireless broadband in Waterford city centre? Otherwise it looks like 55 euro or thereabouts to Eircom/Whoever.

Hey man, if you can switch the wire that goes from your wall to the modem, apparently it is quite common for it to break. Happened to me a few weeks ago. The connection would come and go just cause the wire sucks ass.

I've an appointment for Tuesday.. seemingly after doing a test while I was on the phone, they spotted that there wasnt enough power going to the box itself... Very weird.

I now have a TV appointment for next week with a dodgy connection going upstairs, and a dodgy broadband modem.

I don't think the problems are linked because the modem was working fine until Monday night ish.

God bless UPC and all who rely on the oul biddy.

Hey man, if you can switch the wire that goes from your wall to the modem, apparently it is quite common for it to break. Happened to me a few weeks ago. The connection would come and go just cause the wire sucks ass.

This is an ongoing thing apparently. (I've just moved in a month ago.) The wires are all brand new and recently replaced after the last time. There's also a signal amplifier plugged in there! (Probably not by NTL!) I plugged out anything unnecessary (that I could), but no joy.

I've been checking out Irish Broadband Breeze: 3Mbps up and down. Looks good. Anyone using them in Waterford?

This is an ongoing thing apparently. (I've just moved in a month ago.) The wires are all brand new and recently replaced after the last time. There's also a signal amplifier plugged in there! (Probably not by NTL!) I plugged out anything unnecessary (that I could), but no joy.

Why don't you ring them (are they still calling on Saturday?). Wouldn't say it's much by the sound of it. I have a brother-in-law in Ballinakill. Checked with him and he says his is fine. So it might be something very small.:)

Freddie59 wrote: »
    Why don't you ring them (are they still calling on Saturday?). Wouldn't say it's much by the sound of it. I have a brother-in-law in Ballinakill. Checked with him and he says his is fine. So it might be something very small.:)

We have done and they're still coming out on Saturday (I think). That's not much good when you have to wait a week or so every time it goes down, which it does a lot. It's just not working out for us for whatever reason.

• Advertisement

We have done and they're still coming out on Saturday (I think). That's not much good when you have to wait a week or so every time it goes down, which it does a lot. It's just not working out for us for whatever reason.

Did ya get sorted afterwards Merlante?

Advertisement