Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ronaldo and Torres eh?

• 18-04-2008 2:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 930 ✭✭✭

BaZmO* wrote: »
    And for every Torres that is signed there's a hundred Djemba Djemba's.

EXACTLY!! But don't tell Eamonn Dunphy, because he insists that "Benitez Has Bought Bad Players"......what a joker. For example, he described Babel as a "punt, a chance, they took".....but when Babel turned the tide against Arsenal they dedicated the next 30 mins of analysis to talking about how Wenger HAD NOT BOUGHT in the market. Who deserves credit- a guy who takes the risk and whose signings pay off, or a guy who doesn't spend the money and gets beat.

Its perverse.

As for Torres- a brilliant signing. To tell you the truth, in that 2nd leg vs Arsenal, in that climate, at 1-1 and with away goals a killer, I could NEVER see Cristiano Ronaldo come up with a lethal strike like that from play. Torres is what I call an "open country" player- from play, he is lethal. Ronaldos stats are heavily embellished with spot kicks and free kicks. This isn't an anti-Ronaldo rag, I'm just comparing Torres to the best.

Sometimes, scraps are all you have to feed off. Ronaldo is like Mike Tyson, when things are going his way he is lethal. When things aren't, he's AWOL. Torres isn't like that.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

As for Torres- a brilliant signing. To tell you the truth, in that 2nd leg vs Arsenal, in that climate, at 1-1 and with away goals a killer, I could NEVER see Cristiano Ronaldo come up with a lethal strike like that from play. Torres is what I call an "open country" player- from play, he is lethal. Ronaldos stats are heavily embellished with spot kicks and free kicks. This isn't an anti-Ronaldo rag, I'm just comparing Torres to the best.

Sometimes, scraps are all you have to feed off. Ronaldo is like Mike Tyson, when things are going his way he is lethal. When things aren't, he's AWOL. Torres isn't like that.
    `
    Yes but Ronaldo is a midfielder with something like 4 billion goals in all competitions this season whereas Torres is a forward with something like 8 in all competitions. Chalk and Cheese tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

`
    Yes but Ronaldo is a midfielder with something like 4 billion goals in all competitions this season whereas Torres is a forward with something like *8 in all competitions. Chalk and Cheese tbh.

you missed a 2 there - *

• Closed Accounts Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Hero Of College

I don't want to turn this into a discussion about Ronaldo vs Torres but....

1. Ronaldo is NOT in his first Season

2. He arguably plays in a better team that can set him up better.

3.He is a greedy tosspot- his goals contrasts with Rooneys lack of them. Compare that to Gerrards goalscoring this season and Torres haul. Both have weighed in.

4. This NONSENSE about him "not being a striker"...this is a manipulation. He plays up front, in a team that HAS NO STRIKERS...he is NOMINALLY a winger but in reality is a striker, the same way Babel is a striker but is nominally a winger. The United "midfield" is at any given moment derived from Tevez/Rooney/Carrick/Scholes/Giggs/Fletcher/Nani/Anderson. This myth of "Ronaldo The Winger" is just that- a myth. He doesn't track back, and he rarely has anyone in front of him.

5. He scores a lot of penalties. Take away his penalties in the league and I'm not sure he's ahead of Nando.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

3.He is a greedy tosspot- his goals contrasts with Rooneys lack of them. Compare that to Gerrards goalscoring this season and Torres haul. Both have weighed in.

4. This NONSENSE about him "not being a striker"...this is a manipulation. He plays up front, in a team that HAS NO STRIKERS...he is NOMINALLY a winger but in reality is a striker, the same way Babel is a striker but is nominally a winger. The United "midfield" is at any given moment derived from Tevez/Rooney/Carrick/Scholes/Giggs/Fletcher/Nani/Anderson. This myth of "Ronaldo The Winger" is just that- a myth. He doesn't track back, and he rarely has anyone in front of him.

5. He scores a lot of penalties. Take away his penalties in the league and I'm not sure he's ahead of Nando.

You dont want to turn it into a Torres V Ronaldo debate ? Really ? Well, it looks like thats exactly what you have done!

They are both great players, lets leave it at that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

even if you take out his penaltys he is still ahead of torres, he has scored 5 penaltys in all comps this season, scoring 38 in all comps and 28 in the league

torres has 30 goals in total and has 22 in the league,gerrard also has 5 penaltys to his name this season in his 21 goals in all comps, 11 league goals, how many were peno?? he hasnt weighed in that significantly this season with his goals tbh n the league anyway

Ronaldo is a winger, he plays wide left or wide right predominatntly, torres plays through the middle as a striker.....

• Advertisement

:D Haha!

That's like walking into a bar and saying, "I don't want to get into a fight, but you're all a shower of Wánkers!!!"

That's like walking into a bar and saying, "I don't want to get into a fight, but you're all a shower of Wánkers!!!"

LOL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,304 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

kryogen wrote: »
    even if you take out his penaltys he is still ahead of torres, he has scored 5 penaltys in all comps this season, scoring 38 in all comps and 28 in the league

torres has 30 goals in total and has 22 in the league,gerrard also has 5 penaltys to his name this season in his 21 goals in all comps, 11 league goals, how many were peno?? he hasnt weighed in that significantly this season with his goals tbh n the league anyway

Ronaldo is a winger, he plays wide left or wide right predominatntly, torres plays through the middle as a striker.....

ronaldo is a right or left or sometimes thro the middle forward, he is not a winger

Cyrus wrote: »
    ronaldo is a right or left or sometimes thro the middle forward, he is not a winger

Exactly. And if Ronaldo is a winger, then what are Tevez, Nani, Giggs and Rooney?? Left backs?? How many wingers can a team have??? He's called a winger but he's quacking on up the middle. Same with Babel- just cos Rafa plays him on the left does not mean he is a winger. Kid is a striker and it showed vs Arsenal. Dirk Diggler is out on the right. I guess he is a winger too. Jamie Carragher played RB vs Arsenal. I guess he is a RB and not a CB. You get the drift.

My point was that Gerrard has chipped in with more than Rooney- a testament to the superior partnership that exists between Fernando and Gerrard than exists between Rooney and Ronaldo- proof,IMHO, that Fernando is not as greedy as Ronaldo. If he was, he might have scored even more.

• Advertisement

ugh, ok technically speaking Ronaldos position is Wing Forward.... he is more advanced then a traditionally right or left midfielder, but he is not a striker, he is played through the middle very very rarely, only once has he started there and that was tactical....

Rooney is a centre forward, not a striker, tevez is a centre forward, nani is a wing forward, giggs was a wing forward.

evra is a left back, ferdinand is a centre back, carrick is a central midfielder

voronin is a joke

do you need any other positions explained?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Yawn

What is the point in bringing up Ronaldo when talking about Torres?

No need to be so defensive about Torres in that you have to belittle Ronaldo, Torres's form this season speaks for itself

Unearthly wrote: »
    Yawn

What is the point in bringing up Ronaldo when talking about Torres?

No need to be so defensive about Torres in that you have to belittle Ronaldo, Torres's form this season speaks for itself

Who belittled him???

My point was that Gerrard has chipped in with more than Rooney- a testament to the superior partnership that exists between Fernando and Gerrard than exists between Rooney and Ronaldo- proof,IMHO, that Fernando is not as greedy as Ronaldo. If he was, he might have scored even more.

how many assists does Torres have then??

i can see Gerrard and Rooney have the same amount of assists in the league, 11 each

but i dont see Torres name on the list, so i dont see evidence to suggest that Torres and Gerrard have a better partnership the Rooney Ronaldo or that Torres is any less selfish in front of goal then Ronaldo

If Rooney was a better finisher ronaldo would have more assists this season.

facts are, in the league Ronaldo and Torres are very similar in stats, just Ronaldo has scored more

Gerrard and Rooney are identical in terms of goals 11 and assists 11, in the league

Who belittled him???

You did

"It's not his first season, take away his penos and freekicks, he is like Mike Tyson only shows up when things are going well"

etc

how many assists does Torres have then??

i can see Gerrard and Rooney have the same amount of assists in the league, 11 each

but i dont see Torres name on the list, so i dont see evidence to suggest that Torres and Gerrard have a better partnership the Rooney Ronaldo or that Torres is any less selfish in front of goal then Ronaldo

If Rooney was a better finisher ronaldo would have more assists this season.

facts are, in the league Ronaldo and Torres are very similar in stats, just Ronaldo has scored more

Gerrard and Rooney are identical in terms of goals 11 and assists 11, in the league

Who is Torres going to assist????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

He plays on the right of an attacking 3 behind a striker.
    He cuts inside. However his default position where he recieves the ball is on the right wing.
    Sometimes he swaps to the left wing.

He has just revolutionised the position of right winger. Doesn't mean he's not a right winger.

Also he'd have a lot more assists if Rooney wasn't so terrible at finishing this season.

You did

"It's not his first season, take away his penos and freekicks, he is like Mike Tyson only shows up when things are going well"

etc

Its not his first season.

Take away his penos and his free kicks, and yes, oddly enough,he has scored fewer goals.

And Ronaldo does not play well from a losing position. FACT. Proof? Spurs away this year, AC Milan away last year, Man City at home this year...etc.

Just how it is.

PHB wrote: »
    He plays on the right of an attacking 3 behind a striker.
    He cuts inside. However his default position where he recieves the ball is on the right wing.
    Sometimes he swaps to the left wing.

He has just revolutionised the position of right winger. Doesn't mean he's not a right winger.

Also he'd have a lot more assists if Rooney wasn't so terrible at finishing this season.

the other 2 dont play as advanced as he does tho, and they track back, he doesnt, he is more a forward than a winger, just a wide forward

Its not his first season.

Take away his penos and his free kicks, and yes, oddly enough,he has scored fewer goals.

And Ronaldo does not play well from a losing position. FACT. Proof? Spurs away this year, AC Milan away last year, Man City at home this year...etc.

Just how it is.

So what it's not his 1st season, he is still only 23.

I don't really get your point about freekicks and penos either like anyone can do them. I personally add that as an extra quality to a players game

Spurs at home in Fa Cup :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

So what it's not his 1st season, he is still only 23.

I don't really get your point about freekicks and penos either like anyone can do them. I personally add that as an extra quality to a players game

Spurs at home in Fa Cup :)

Didn't you hear? he said FACT, you aren't allowed disagree with facts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

pfft, you can use facts to prove anything - hey, is this another "Ronaldo isn't as great as everyone says he is" thread?! Gosh, there hasn't been one of those in a while!

DSB wrote: »

Damn, just like the fact that he never scores against big teams to. Ah well
    Ah the old "an older boy started it" routine. A playground classic.

Redundant now anyway, this isn't the Liverpool thread anymore.

Indeed, so you can now go back to your "all man utd fans are teh evil" topic

I made a new thread, also all the childish crap has been deleted.

Hero of College, you're new here yes? You wouldnt happen to support Liverpool would you? I cant tell by the unbiased an objective nature of your posts.

I could NEVER see Cristiano Ronaldo come up with a lethal strike like that from play. Torres is what I call an "open country" player- from play, he is lethal. Ronaldos stats are heavily embellished with spot kicks and free kicks.

Did u watch the Roma game? Also where was Torres when he played Rio? Of course, I forgot...lethal!! ;) open country...hahaha! then that makes Rio an "open country" defender I suppose!

As for your trying to argue that he is a striker......:pac::pac:

Fact is, he lines up out wide, scores his open play goals by cutting in or making late dashes at pace into the box, or from headers. The rest are free kicks and penos, which he is world class at.....particularly pennos. Are u actually trying to argue the fact that he's able to do this makes him inferior to Torres?!!!! :pac:

Anyone actually have the stat of how many Ronaldo has scored from open play this year?? Id love to see it because I bet he hasnt got as many free kicks and penalties to drag up his stats as people make out.

DSB wrote: »

Facts are facts.

You can only score a penalty....if you've got one first. Ask Arsenal, they'll tell you..:p:p:p

Hero of College, you're new here yes? You wouldnt happen to support Liverpool would you? I cant tell by the unbiased an objective nature of your posts.

Did u watch the Roma game? Also where was Torres when he played Rio? Of course, I forgot...lethal!! ;)

As for your trying to argue that he is a striker......:pac::pac:

I'll tell you where Torres was- he was getting kicked. More protection for Ronaldo please.....and what you have said is like saying where was Ian Rush in 19 games against Man United....its sillyness.

I'll tell you where Torres was- he was getting kicked. More protection for Ronaldo please.....and what you have said is like saying where was Ian Rush in 19 games against Man United....its sillyness.

Getting kicked!? Haha come on. He was getting out paced, thats what he was doing.

Take the blinkers off. Its not silliness, its fact, he has played United twice this year and to say he has done nothing is an understatement. And yet when Ronaldo gets marked out of a game, u claim its cos he goes AWOL when United arent on top!! See where Im going with this?

1. He's younger than Torres though.

2. He sets up an awful lot of his goals himself, but you're right he does play in a better team ;)

3. Very mature and logical response.

4. Addressed this already.

5. I think he's scored 4 or 5 penalties all season. Thats about 12 or 13% of his entire goal tally. I agree he's useless, lucky United get all those penalties isnt it, otherwise even Kuyt would be beating him....:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

1. He's younger than Torres though.

2. He sets up an awful lot of his goals himself, but you're right he does play in a better team ;)

3. Very mature and logical response.

4. Addressed this already.

5. I think he's scored 4 or 5 penalties all season. Thats about 12 or 13% of his entire goal tally. I agree he's useless, lucky United get all those penalties isnt it, otherwise even Kuyt would be beating him....:rolleyes:

By the way, for what it is worth, I said what I said in a totally different context. Then a mod turned it into a thread, giving the impression that I had started a Ronaldo bashing thread. Nothing of the sort.

Whos a better player guys Ferdinand or Torres ?

I personally think Reina is much better than Tevez.

etc etc

Ridiculous thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Ffs you're only saying that Reina is a better player than Tevez cos you're a Pool fan (!)

Ffs you're only saying that Reina is a better player than Tevez cos you're a Pool fan (!)

BRILLIANT :D:D

What I said about Ronaldo was

1. Taken out of context

2. Said in a Liverpool thread with direct reference to Torres.

Mods had no business making it into a thread and giving the impression I had launched into Ronaldo. They are free of course to delete the posts where applicable....

I didn't mean to imply you created a new thread.

However, if you don't want to start a dicussion about Ronaldo and Torres, the best thing to do is not compare Torres to Ronaldo. Seems simple enough

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭internelligent

Tusky wrote: »

etc etc

Ridiculous thread.

LOL

The way I see it is that Ronaldo is such a great player, Liverpool fans try to take him down a peg or two. Torres has come to Liverpool and has undoubtedly blown everyone away with an outstanding goalscoring ability, something that Liverpool have craved for a while now. Unfortunately for Liverpool fans, they feel that Ronaldo has over-shadowed Torres' achievments by scoring more. This is obviously not the case since United fans here have stated again and again how they'd love to have him on their team, (and if he was I'm certain Ronaldo would have alot more assissts). Ronaldo has developed into a great goal scorer but he's still a winger. He makes runs because he's great at it and is most likely told to do it if he sniffs an opportunity. Was Lausen a striker this season since he was up at every corner?
    Fact is, Ronaldo has taken some of the spotlight away from Torres this season because he's scored more goals and has been immense for United. Liverpool fans don't like this and try to find some way to justify saying Torres is better than him. Impossible argument giving their positions. I'm sure another one of these arguments will pop up again before long. Maybe next week if Liverpool beat Chelsea 3-0, (with a Torres hattrick), and United win 3-0 including a Ronaldo penalty. As a Liverpool fan I really hope the latter doesn't happen because I would find it extremely difficult watch the final.

PHB wrote: »
    I didn't mean to imply you created a new thread.

However, if you don't want to start a dicussion about Ronaldo and Torres, the best thing to do is not compare Torres to Ronaldo. Seems simple enough

I can't discuss Torres in an abstract. I figured Ronaldo was the closest thing to Fernando {little bit better, little bit worse, matters not} and so I used him. The fact that they are the two best forward men in the League this season made it a no brainer. But people {Mancs} can't see his name without assuming someone is besmirching him.

LOL

The way I see it is that Ronaldo is such a great player, Liverpool fans try to take him down a peg or two. Torres has come to Liverpool and has undoubtedly blown everyone away with an outstanding goalscoring ability, something that Liverpool have craved for a while now. Unfortunately for Liverpool fans, they feel that Ronaldo has over-shadowed Torres' achievments by scoring more. This is obviously not the case since United fans here have stated again and again how they'd love to have him on their team, (and if he was I'm certain Ronaldo would have alot more assissts). Ronaldo has developed into a great goal scorer but he's still a winger. He makes runs because he's great at it and is most likely told to do it if he sniffs an opportunity. Was Lausen a striker this season since he was up at every corner?
    Fact is, Ronaldo has taken some of the spotlight away from Torres this season because he's scored more goals and has been immense for United. Liverpool fans don't like this and try to find some way to justify saying Torres is better than him. Impossible argument giving their positions. I'm sure another one of these arguments will pop up again before long. Maybe next week if Liverpool beat Chelsea 3-0, (with a Torres hattrick), and United win 3-0 including a Ronaldo penalty. As a Liverpool fan I really hope the latter doesn't happen because I would find it extremely difficult watch the final.

When Saha doesn't play, {in other words when United play} who are Uniteds strikers????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Post of the Day .

:D

d22ontour wrote: »
    Post of the Day .

Not much of a day you're having then.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Not much of a day you're having then.:rolleyes:

Considering this is the 1st thread i have read today then yeah i can see what you mean.
    My point was that Gerrard has chipped in with more than Rooney- a testament to the superior partnership that exists between Fernando and Gerrard than exists between Rooney and Ronaldo

Superior partnership that has scored less goals ? :confused:
    proof,IMHO, that Fernando is not as greedy as Ronaldo. If he was, he might have scored even more.
    Who is Torres going to assist????

Which is it ? :rolleyes:

http://www.farfromneutral.com/exodus/wp-content/uploads/2007/03/o_rly.jpg

Well spotted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

What I said about Ronaldo was
    1. Taken out of context

2. Said in a Liverpool thread with direct reference to Torres.

Mods had no business making it into a thread and giving the impression I had launched into Ronaldo. They are free of course to delete the posts where applicable....
    How could people take that out of context?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

stupid thread they are both fantastic players having great seasons why cant fans of either player just enjoy watching them play without putting another fantastic player down

LOL

To be honest, I disagree. The vast majority of Liverpool fans in real life and on here, can see that Ronaldo is an amazing player. I dont often see him criticized. Not in the last couple of seasons anyway. Only argue against him being a top class player (same goes for Torres).

I havent even seen the two of them compared at all really apart from this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

redzerdrog wrote: »
    stupid thread they are both fantastic players having great seasons why cant fans of either player just enjoy watching them play without putting another fantastic player down

Now THAT should be post of the day! FACT :)

But people {Mancs} can't see his name without assuming someone is besmirching him.
    Have a look at what you originally posted, point number 3 in particular.

I thought this might be taken out of the Liverpool thread alright. I suppose it makes a change from the usual "Ronaldo" thread, now it's "Ronaldo vs. Torres"
    What's next Hero? "Ronaldo vs. Godzilla"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

Ronaldo vs the bugatti veron!!! Look it up its great!lol:)

Haha. Forgot about that

How could people take that out of context?

Lots of so called commentators have alluded to Ronaldos selfishness- I mean, Ian Rush was always criticised for not being selfish enough

Selfishness in and of itself IS NOT a bad thing, per se.

And when I refer to context, I was trying to explain WHY MAYBE Ronaldo has scored more goals.

He takes pens and frees, Nando doesn't
    He is "selfish" and doesn't track back- Not so with Nando {as much to do with Benitez as FT himself}
    He plays in a better team- open to argument- but I think he does...

Like I was saying....its all out of context. I never said Fernando was better, or Ronaldo was this that or the other. I felt it appropriate, while I was at it, to dispel the bullsh!t myth that "Ronaldo Does All This And More And He's a Winger!!!""

So this is the Man Yoo Formation, is it??

VAN DER SAAR

Neville
    Vidic
    Ferdiand
    Evra--

--Ronaldo----Rooney
    Nani
    Scholes
    Tevez
    Giggs

4-6

Because thats with Ronaldo as a winger.

The Kid is a striker and so is Rooney. Plain and simple.

Tusky wrote: »

etc etc

Ridiculous thread.

Its not a thread. Its a comment I made taken out of its orginal thread {and therefore its context} and slapped up by the mod without even telling me. I never posted this as a thread. The mod did. If thats the case we can all troll through, pick comments out arbitrarily and post them as threads.

• Advertisement
Advertisement