Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ronaldo and Torres eh?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Hero Of College

PHB wrote: »
    I didn't mean to imply you created a new thread.

However, if you don't want to start a dicussion about Ronaldo and Torres, the best thing to do is not compare Torres to Ronaldo. Seems simple enough

If you don't want to start a discussion about how someone said something about Cristina Ronaldo, then don't take posts out of threads and post them like they were the opening shots of a new Anti-Cristina thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,917 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Lots of so called commentators have alluded to Ronaldos selfishness- I mean, Ian Rush was always criticised for not being selfish enough

Selfishness in and of itself IS NOT a bad thing, per se.

And when I refer to context, I was trying to explain WHY MAYBE Ronaldo has scored more goals.

He takes pens and frees, Nando doesn't
    He is "selfish" and doesn't track back- Not so with Nando {as much to do with Benitez as FT himself}
    He plays in a better team- open to argument- but I think he does...

Like I was saying....its all out of context. I never said Fernando was better, or Ronaldo was this that or the other. I felt it appropriate, while I was at it, to dispel the bullsh!t myth that "Ronaldo Does All This And More And He's a Winger!!!""

So this is the Man Yoo Formation, is it??

VAN DER SAAR

Neville
    Vidic
    Ferdiand
    Evra--

--Ronaldo----Rooney
    Nani
    Scholes
    Tevez
    Giggs

4-6

Because thats with Ronaldo as a winger.

The Kid is a striker and so is Rooney. Plain and simple.

You called him a "greedy tosspot", rather than selfish, so you were already setting yourself up for failure if you expected civil debate.

However, even if you do class him solely as a striker, than he's a better striker than Torres anyway, and cost (roughly, depending on how you calculate) half as much, and is younger.

Anyway, ridiculous thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Denis Irwin

Ronaldo > Torres

End of story :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

So this is the Man Yoo Formation, is it??

VAN DER SAAR

Neville
    Vidic
    Ferdiand
    Evra--

--Ronaldo----Rooney
    Nani
    Scholes
    Tevez
    Giggs

4-6

Because thats with Ronaldo as a winger.

The Kid is a striker and so is Rooney. Plain and simple.
    What are you on? Seriously!
    4-6 Formation? Wtf?

You're being very selective with the players you've picked there, but even so, Rooney and Tevez are considered forwards. And Nani in the centre?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

If you don't want to start a discussion about how someone said something about Cristina Ronaldo, then don't take posts out of threads and post them like they were the opening shots of a new Anti-Cristina thread.

You're not really helping your cause calling him "Cristina".....

Unfortunately for Liverpool fans, they feel that Ronaldo has over-shadowed Torres' achievments by scoring more.

I never said that, and its wrong for the mods to represent that I said that. I was trying to post an opinion as to WHY Ronaldo would score more- big difference. Torres achievements go beyond scoring goals- two of his achievements cannot be overshadowed by anyone as they involved back to back hatricks, player of the month awards and becoming the first Liverpool player to score in 7 consecutive home games in the top flight. What fool would try and claim that Ronaldo had overshadowed these achievements simply by scoring more fullstop???

Ronaldo has developed into a great goal scorer but he's still a winger. He makes runs because he's great at it and is most likely told to do it if he sniffs an opportunity. Was Lausen a striker this season since he was up at every corner?

Bogus. The guy is a striker. Like I said, who plays up front when Saha isn't playing? Rooney and Ronaldo. He is not a winger in the traditional sense- he is a striker and don't try and embellish his achievements with some nonsense about how he's doing it all as a "winger".

Fact is, Ronaldo has taken some of the spotlight away from Torres this season because he's scored more goals

The Premier League doesn't even have the fascination with top scorers in the same way the Spanish League does- where they even have a title and an award for it. And as I said Torres "spotlight" consists of a lot more than scoring goals- its the way he does it which is unique. Consecutive games record at anfield, back to back hat-tricks, all from play, enough there for him to have a spotlight of his own. As I say, its ALL MOOT cos I was only trying to explain how Torres gets fewer. But the Sect of Cristina kicked into action and started burning Churches down.
    and has been immense for United. Liverpool fans don't like this

Yeah we only concentrate on your players, sure.
    and try to find some way to justify saying Torres is better than him

Again, I mean, I'm dealing with Rainman here, I never said that and neither did anyone else. I was merely trying to explain why I felt Torres was clocking fewer goals.
    Impossible argument giving their positions. I'm sure another one of these arguments will pop up again before long

As long as people read what they think is there and not what is actually there, then sure, yeah.
    As a Liverpool fan

Yeah pull the other one it has bells on it.
    I really hope the latter doesn't happen because I would find it extremely difficult watch the final.

Well you would have to wait for the second legs to be played mate.:rolleyes:

Unearthly wrote: »
    You're not really helping your cause calling him "Cristina".....

Oooooooooooh. Cry me a river.

PS...I don't have a cause. This isn't even my thread- the mods just tell you it is.

besides- the Cult of Cristina have their mind made up..so it really doesn't matter.

Ah Torres the man who has been in the pockets of Ferdinand and Vidic in the 2 games we've played Liverpool this season. :D

BaZmO* wrote: »
    What are you on? Seriously!
    4-6 Formation? Wtf?

You're being very selective with the players you've picked there, but even so, Rooney and Tevez are considered forwards. And Nani in the centre?

So show me United as you think they should line up, on any given match day. Strongest 11...please, entertain me.

PS....you are not allowed deploy Cristiano Ronaldo up front because he is not a striker.

• Advertisement

Ronaldo > Torres

End of story :)

Possibly...but then again, who denied it???:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Oooooooooooh. Cry me a river.

PS...I don't have a cause. This isn't even my thread- the mods just tell you it is.

besides- the Cult of Cristina have their mind made up..so it really doesn't matter.

Dude you're the one crying over a mod making a topic out of a comment that was a sure thing to take the Liverpool topic off topic

PS....you are not allowed deploy Cristiano Ronaldo up front because he is not a striker.

A non striker who's scored more goals this season than your main striker Torres. :D

Ah Torres the man who has been in the pockets of Ferdinand and Vidic in the 2 games we've played Liverpool this season. :D

Ahh the Ronaldo who was in the pocket of...wait for it.....the likes of Djimi Traore and Sami Hyppia in the 5 games before he finally scored at Old Trafford this year.

Great point mate.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

A striker who's scored more goals this season than your main striker Torres. :D

Sure....

Ahh the Ronaldo who was in the pocket of...wait for it.....the likes of Djimi Traore and Sami Hyppia in the 5 games before he finally scored at Old Trafford this year.

Great point mate.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Torres the man who has only scored something like 2 goals away from Anfield all season. :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

For a striker playing out of position as a winger i think cristina has had a great season.

Clown shoes.

Do people actually believe the tripe they post or are there more and more trolls appearing every day?

lordgoat wrote: »
    For a striker playing out of position as a winger i think cristina has had a great season.

Clown shoes.

Do people actually believe the tripe they post or are there more and more trolls appearing every day?

You call Ronaldo Cristina and then ask are more and more people trolling. :rolleyes:

Unearthly wrote: »
    Dude you're the one crying over a mod making a topic out of a comment that was a sure thing to take the Liverpool topic off topic

If the mod wants a topic he can make his own. If my comments are off topic he is free to delete them.

Torres the man who has only scored something like 2 goals away from Anfield all season. :D

Well he got one goal in Milan, and one goal in Marseille, and one goal at Derby {oops we're up to three, can you keep up Denise or will we slow up for you?}

In fairness, he missed a lot of away games- against Arsenal he was suspended, injured for the Blackburn game, injured for the Chelsea game, didn't start vs Pompey, injured for the Everton game, injured for the trip to Besiktas. Thats 5 away games he missed in the league through suspension {1} injury {3} or tactics {1}. He should have had a hatful against Newcastle and he wasted 2 chances against either of Wigan or Man City. Hardly profligate in his away form.:rolleyes: Thats one game where you could consider his away form as being poor.

Well he got one goal in Milan, and one goal in Marseille, and one goal at Derby {oops we're up to three, can you keep up Denise or will we slow up for you?}

In fairness, he missed a lot of away games- against Arsenal he was suspended, injured for the Blackburn game, injured for the Chelsea game, didn't start vs Pompey, injured for the Everton game, injured for the trip to Besiktas. Thats 5 away games he missed in the league through suspension {1} injury {3} or tactics {1}. He should have had a hatful against Newcastle and he wasted 2 chances against either of Wigan or Man City. Hardly profligate in his away form.:rolleyes: Thats one game where you could consider his away form as being poor.

Lets not forget the game at Old Trafford where he was kept very very quiet by Ferdinand and Vidic. ;):p. Oh and WTF is it with you calling me a woman's name. Pathetic and childish. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Lets not forget the game at Old Trafford where he was kept very very quiet by Ferdinand and Vidic. ;):p. Oh and WTF is it with you calling me a woman's name. Pathetic and childish. :rolleyes:

Well there is only one Denis Irwin. He kept a lot of people quiet in his time. If you want to be the next Denis Irwin, you'll have to keep quiet too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

VDS
    Neville----Rio
    Vidic
    Evra

Carrick
    Scholes
    Ronaldo
    Nani
    Tevez

Rooney

thats how our strongest 11 would line up if available and in form Joke of College since you asked

anyway when you have finished your trolling and displaying your total ignorance and lack of knowledge about football can you please just crawl back under the rock you came from

Thanks

kryogen wrote: »

VDS
    Neville----Rio
    Vidic
    Evra

Carrick
    Scholes
    Ronaldo
    Nani
    Tevez

Rooney

thats how our strongest 11 would line up if available and in form Joke of College since you asked

anyway when you have finished your trolling and displaying your total ignorance and lack of knowledge about football can you please just crawl back under the rock you came from

Thanks

Awwwwww thats cute. Ronaldos a left winger, after all. Tevez and Rooney just, disappear I guess. Or maybe Wayne gets sent off. Its been known to happen when they share a field.

THIS JUST IN: Premier League Champions Manchester United play in a 4-2-2-1-1 formation.:eek: with Rooney as their lone striker and Carlos Tevez feeding off the Lone Striker and Ronaldo stranded on his own out on the left...and.....shock horror...IT WORKS :eek:

Pull the other one matey, it has bells on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Awwwwww thats cute. Ronaldos a left winger, after all. Tevez and Rooney just, disappear I guess. Or maybe Wayne gets sent off. Its been known to happen when they share a field.

THIS JUST IN: Premier League Champions Manchester United play in a 4-2-2-1-1 formation.:eek: with Rooney as their lone striker and Carlos Tevez feeding off the Lone Striker and Ronaldo stranded on his own out on the left...and.....shock horror...IT WORKS :eek:

Pull the other one matey, it has bells on it.

I highly doubt it, you cant seem to be able to tell your left from your right oddly enough, i actualy half expected that to be honest...... and its not a 42211, its quite plainly an attacking 442 with Tevez playing off Rooney that little bit deeper

do you actually think before you type or does it just fly out in a stream of random consciousness ????

do you dress yourself in the morning in fact or do you require assistance?

also, seeing as though you cant tell left from right and even though in my formation he is clearly on the right, have you never seen him play on the left...wait dont answer, its rhetorical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

kryogen wrote: »

VDS
    Neville----Rio
    Vidic
    Evra

Carrick
    Scholes
    Ronaldo
    Nani
    Tevez

Rooney

Thanks

+1

Perhaps Wes at right back. I don't see how anyone could argue that Ronaldo IS a striker when he's always pushed on wide right or wide left. The only game he was really through the middle was Roma away.

But remember lads, Ronaldo doesn't do it in big games. I'm mean, he didn't score against Liverpool, Roma away, Arsenal (home & away). Also, remember that two games Torres played against Rio & Vidic. Outstanding performances. :rolleyes:

It amazes me how people will try to twist and change facts to try to argue a point, but theres one fact that can't be argued. 38 goals this season. More than anyone else. You can't argue with that contribution. How his ability to score amazing free kicks and deadly penalties makes him a WORSE player, I do not know. Goals are goals. I know who i'd rather have in my team.

I mean, if you take away all Ronaldo's goals from penalties, corners, free kicks, open player....he's probably still got ten more than Kuyt for the season :rolleyes:

Y2J_MUFC wrote: »
    MUFC wrote:
    +1

Birds of a feather.
    MUFC wrote:
    I don't see how anyone could argue that Ronaldo IS a striker when he's always pushed on wide right or wide left. The only game he was really through the middle was Roma away.

There are none so blind as those who do not wish to see.......
    MUFC wrote:
    But remember lads, Ronaldo doesn't do it in big games. I'm mean, he didn't score against Liverpool, Roma away, Arsenal (home & away). Also, remember that two games Torres played against Rio & Vidic. Outstanding performances.

Lets break this one down. First off...the expression used {by me, and I can only vouch for me} was not that Ronaldo does not do it in big games, but more that he fights better from the upside. Classic example: top man against Milan in the home leg last year....absent in Milan for the 2nd leg. Tried his little flicks, didn't come off, and at one point in the 2nd half a Milanese player WALKED PAST HIM...Ronaldo had quit. Period. It wasn't that he wasn't trying {which he wasn't} and failing, cos we can all do that- it was that he wasn't trying anymore. But if United got a penalty he would have ripped the ball off you to take it.:rolleyes:

Now...lets remember the 5 games which Ronaldo had played against Liverpool...and not scored. This is when guys like Traore and Hyppia were the main men at the back for Liverpool, with Carra. Masterful performances there too. Torres has 3 more blanks to draw before he even equals Ronaldos record of blank drawing against Liverpool. Sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander.
    MUFC wrote:
    It amazes me how people will try to twist and change facts to try to argue a point, but theres one fact that can't be argued. 38 goals this season. More than anyone else. You can't argue with that contribution.

Who is arguing with it. Again, for the slower members of the forum, I was trying to explain JUST WHY it is he can post those stats.
    MUFC wrote:
    How his ability to score amazing free kicks and deadly penalties makes him a WORSE player, I do not know. Goals are goals. I know who i'd rather have in my team.

Who said that??? I merely suggested his PROFICIENCY at those was one reason why he would score more goals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

blah blah blah

wow, you actually responded to a post by basing your argument around footballing examples. i'm impressed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,703 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

He doesn't track back, and he rarely has anyone in front of him.

Giles highlighted 3 or 4 instances last week that Ronaldo didn't track back, in fact if I hear the words "Honesty of Effort - Bill" one more time, I'm likely to go postal.

You know what? Ronaldo doesn't track back as much as he should, some would argue he doesn't track back all. I couldn't give 2 hoots, he wasn't bought for his defensive talents. What needs to be realised is the amount of energy expelled attacking at break neck speed, it's not like he is lazy on the pitch. The last time I saw anyone having a go at Ronaldo not tracking back was Giggs 14 months ago when was been subsituted in a European game and he felt Ronaldo should have gone instead.

What else needs to be realised is not having Ronaldo tracking back conserves his energy, which more often or not has given him the edge in the latter stages of a match over the opposing defenders. Ronaldo is a fantastic defender, not in the convential sense, but that old cliche, that attack is the best form of defense, by that logic not only is he the best attacker in the country he is also the best defender. :)

Torres is fantastic, I'd love to see him at United. But if I could only pick one, it would have to be Ronaldo.

Boggles wrote: »
    Giles highlighted 3 or 4 instances last week that Ronaldo didn't track back, in fact if I hear the words "Honesty of Effort - Bill" one more time, I'm likely to go postal.

Agreed. Giles himself has admitted he uses the phrase too much. That and giving out about Benitez, he needs to lay off both
    Boggles wrote:
    You know what? Ronaldo doesn't track back as much as he should, some would argue he doesn't track back all. I couldn't give 2 hoots, he wasn't bought for his defensive talents.

I agree 100 percent. I said part of his efficiency was based in no small part on his not being required to bother his balls tracking back. I also said that the quality of the team was partially behind his being able to do this.

Boggles wrote:
    What needs to be realised is the amount of energy expelled attacking at break neck speed, it's not like he is lazy on the pitch. The last time I saw anyone having a go at Ronaldo not tracking back was Giggs 14 months ago when was been subsituted in a European game and he felt Ronaldo should have gone instead.

Again, agreed. I never said Ronaldo was lazy. What I said was when the **** had hit the fan the kid went missing. When Ronaldo is on the UP he is irresistible. When things are DOWN the kid goes AWOL, a la San Siro last year, a la Man City during the Munich anniversary.
    Boggles wrote:
    What else needs to be realised is not having Ronaldo tracking back conserves his energy, which more often or not has given him the edge in the latter stages of a match over the opposing defenders. Ronaldo is a fantastic defender, not in the convential sense, but that old cliche, that attack is the best form of defense, by that logic not only is he the best attacker in the country he is also the best defender. :)

Sure...why not.
    Boggles wrote:
    Torres is fantastic, I'd love to see him at United. But if I could only pick one, it would have to be Ronaldo.

Ronaldo is fantastic. I'd love to see him at Anfield. But if I could only pick one, it would have to be Torres.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

You call Ronaldo Cristina and then ask are more and more people trolling. :rolleyes:

I think you missed my sarcasm.

Maybe i should have put in some gay emoticon to clarify.

• Advertisement

Ronaldo is fantastic. I'd love to see him at Anfield. But if I could only pick one, it would have to be Torres.

Your entitled to your opinion

I should have made myself clear thou, I would love to see Torres at United, but I should have said from just the prem league players alone I would have Adebayor ahead of him.

Torres has had a great season, but I have my hard earned cash on Ade to be second top scorer in the league, a bet I am extremely confident about for 2 reasons. Arsenal have Reading today and Derby next week and Torres won't play much in the league for the rest of the season.

So Torres looks like he will end up third top scorer in the prem league in his first season, not bad - but are we debating the wrong people, should it not be Adebayor V Ronaldo?

Boggles wrote:
    So Torres looks like he will end up third top scorer in the prem league in his first season, not bad - but are we debating the wrong people, should it not be Adebayor V Ronaldo?

While its possible that Torres could end up 3rd highest scorer it really would be irrelevant at this stage. Liverpool out-did Arsenal in 3 games in one week and while it ultimately did for Arsenals season in both the league and CL it did not eradicate the fact that for 6-7 months they played the best football in England.

Ditto Torres vs Adebayor {not that I started ANY of this Vs nonsense:(}.......if Adebayor finishes above Torres then that will be valid, of course, but it will not reflect immediately that Torres missed a lot of games and as you say was rested as the Season wound down- just as Liverpools mauling of Arsenal did not reflect Arsenals overall superiority for much of the Season.

For what it is worth, I disagree with Liam Bradys statement that "Adebayor is not a clinical finisher like Torres"....I don't think Torres strong suit is his finishing, at all.

Ditto Torres vs Adebayor .....if Adebayor finishes above Torres then that will be valid, of course, but it will not reflect immediately that Torres missed a lot of games and as you say was rested as the Season wound down- just as Liverpools mauling of Arsenal did not reflect Arsenals overall superiority for much of the Season.

Lets not do the verus thing, I don't thing it can be done with justice. Stats can indeed be misleading, But Torres and Adebayor are more comparable with each other than Ronaldo.

They are both lone strikers. They have both played more or less the same amount of Prem League games.

I'd argue the pressure has been on Ade more to be the sole goal scorer, testiment to the fact that he has 3 times more goals then his next Arsenal team mate, the pressure has been taken off Torres by Gerrard who has half his tally.

I'd agree with you on one thing thou, players who take penalties I have the upmost respect for, the pressure on me just watching is emmense, I can only imagine what it is like for the player.

Saying that I do tend to judge a player by there goal's from open play (I include free kicks in that). Adding penalties into the tally does in someway create a false economy, Just ask the Everton fans what they think of Johnson.

Well Johnson is a good example of how a rep can be embellished and deceptively so with pens.

Well Johnson is a good example of how a rep can be embellished and deceptively so with pens.

U still arguing that Ronaldo has his goal tally cos of the penalties? A bit foolish. Go use google and come back educated mate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

as i mentioned before; if c.ronaldo is a right winger then thierry henry was a right winger at arsenal, the only difference is henry spent far more time tracking back and defending than ronaldo does, the dude is a right sided striker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

Ronaldo is not a traditional winger, nor is he a traditional striker. His position when United have the ball is usually on the right wing, and in that sense he is a winger. Torres' position when Liverpool have the ball is usually as a central front man, he is totally a striker. Ronaldo has some attributes of a striker, in that he makes runs into the box and is given the freedom by SAF to stay as the frontman in the box when he feels it appropriate. He is also told by Ferguson (it is not laziness, anyone who can't understand this point must have problems understanding team organisation) not to track back, though he does drop much deeper than Torres generally does in order to pick up possession again.

People are correct to say that it's unfair to call him a winger, like Giggs was for example. He plays as something of a 'wing-forward', similar to where Babel and - recently - Kuyt play for Liverpool. Of course he's going to get more goals that orthodox wingers, but in a number of senses (his wide starting point, his dropping deep when the other team have possession, the fact that he'll normally have one or two of Rooney, Tevez or Saha ahead of him) his position is less conducive to goalscoring than a striker like Torres. The fact that he's managed to score more goals than Torres - arguably the form striker in the world at the moment - is testament to how extraordinary his season has been so far.

On another note, attempting to take away from the 'fairness' of his goalscoring tally by belittling penalties and free kicks is beyond retarted. Ronaldo takes penalties and free kicks because he's good at them. Watch his retaken penalty against Arsenal last week - that is class, very few players have such composure (and btw Hero of College, how is that going AWOL when the chips are down?). Likewise, if Torres could take free kicks as well as Ronaldo could, then he would take them. But he doesn't. It's like defending Rooney's record of scoring headers by arguing that he never gets to be in the box for corners - it's true, but there's a reason, and it's because Ronaldo, Vidic and Ferdinand are better at heading the ball. The reason Ronaldo is such a good player is because he's just so damn dangerous in so many ways: headers, left foot shots, right foot shots, long range shots, free kicks, penalties, shots after dribbles, goalmouth scrambles, one v ones, running off the last man - he can score in so many ways. Maybe he doesn't quite have the magic of a Ronaldinho or a Messi, but it's the completeness of his (still improving) game that makes Ronaldo the player he is, that makes him better than Torres, and that ultimately means he will be amongst the world's top players for 10 years to come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Look, your position isn't determined by how much you track back.
    Your position is determined by where you stand most of the match. Strikers stand next to the CBs, and try to run in behind them.

Withdrawn strikers are the ones who drop off the CBs to recieve the ball.

At the absolute most, Ronaldo is a withdrawn right sided striker. But to me, that's just a winger.

Advertisement