Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on moving kerosene tank

Options
  • 18-04-2008 4:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭

Firstly, please move if this is not the right forum for the above topic.

I have one of those 1000 litre Kerosene tanks and burner out my back garden.
    They are positioned just outside the patio sliding doors which is not great due to the fumes that the burner produces. I would like to re-position the tank and burner mid-way up the garden.

Has anyone had this job done before?

Is it a difficult task?

Any advice would be mush appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭the GALL

moving the tank is pretty easy
    1. decide where the new position is to be
    2. dig the pad (measure the size of the pad the tank is on now) and dig it to a depth of 6-7 inchs
    3. put in hard core (3-inch stone) put a vibrating plate over this to compact it
    4.put in reinforceing steel mesh
    5. fill with concrete 4-1nches try and get this as level as you can it save hastle later on
    6. follow the block design of the plinth the tank is on at the moment again make sure these are level on the top
    7. wait until your tank is empty to be sure tilt to the front
    8. call a plumber it'll cost no more than €100 euro he'll supply the copper pipe/fitting/ and make sure there's no leaks it's money well spent
    all the above may seem a bit of overkill but it's right
    as for the boiler would it be feasable to fit an extension piece on to and bring it up the height of the house save a lot more than moveing the boiler

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭steamjetjoe

Nice idea about the extension for the burner, it will save alot of time + money I reckon. It will be the end of summer befor the tank is empty so ill go ahead and prepare the new position in the mean time.

Thanks for the help:)

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭the GALL

Nice idea about the extension for the burner, it will save alot of time + money I reckon. It will be the end of summer befor the tank is empty so ill go ahead and prepare the new position in the mean time.

No worries mate.... set it all up and get the plunber to finish it off....if your stuck pm me and i'll be happy to help out

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Just nudging this thread over a little - it's more DIY than gardening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

I am afraid that unless you use a VERY expensive twin wall stainless steel flue right up to the top of the house, you will get a lot of condensation. This will have a lot of dirty stains and marks if it comes out of the side of the cabinpac, boilerhouse, or whatever type of housing protects the boiler from the elements. If you have the flue coming out of the top of the cabinpac, unless it is the expensive type, you will get a lot of corrosive acidic water flowing down into the boiler, eating away the baffles and causing other damage. It is almost impossible to seal the gap where the flue comes through the top of the cabinpac, so rainwater also gets at the boiler and causes corrosion. If a kerosene boiler is correctly set up and serviced, there is very little smell from fumes. Also the boiler is usually not running in weather where you would be using a patio. If you still want to move it, it is relatively easy to run well insulated pipes and electric cable a short way down the garden.
    Jim.

• Advertisement
Advertisement