Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zapatero refuses to swear oath on bible

Options
  • 18-04-2008 4:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭

happy to read that in Spain, once a stronghold of Christianity, José Zapatero has been sworn back into office choosing to take his oath on the Spanish constitution... not the bible. Zapatero has been a torn in the side of the Catholic Church and religious privilege since being elected in 2004, he has legalised same sex marriage and removed the Church from the Spanish school system, long may he continue.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

happy to read that in Spain, once a stronghold of Christianity, José Zapatero has been sworn back into office choosing to take his oath on the Spanish constitution... not the bible. Zapatero has been a torn in the side of the Catholic Church and religious privilege since being elected in 2004, he has legalised same sex marriage and removed the Church from the Spanish school system, long may he continue.

Fair play. Don't know much about the man, but I like the gesture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Haven't heard of him before tbh, but I'll certainly be looking him up now :) Good news, especially in such a Catholic country

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

Hopefully by 2034 we'll manage to get someone similar into office here... :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Your optimism is admirable, Mena.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

CerebralCortex certainly seems happy with this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

A true revolutionary...:rolleyes:

*God I love those rolleyes, you can make a comment without even having to back it up*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

vote social democrat eh?

would it take an (old ) labour prime minister to get that done here?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

A true revolutionary...:rolleyes:

*God I love those rolleyes, you can make a comment without even having to back it up*

If you didn't put in the rolleyes then we wouldn't respect you or the content of your posts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Ekancone

Fair play to him, more of the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

I was chased in here by the god squad in their car.

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=55707843#post55707843

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Is that behaviour not worthy of a ban? Personal abuse surely? I hope you reported that poster.

5uspect wrote: »
    Is that behaviour not worthy of a ban? Personal abuse surely? I hope you reported that poster.

Thats what I thought. I think I reported, im not sure. I hit that little triangle thing in the corner to "report post"

I'd say moneyman's days (or rather hours) in AH are numbered.

Though quite what any of this has to do with Zapatero (all hail) I don't know. ;)

Dades wrote: »
    I'd say moneyman's days (or rather hours) in AH are numbered.

Though quite what any of this has to do with Zapatero (all hail) I don't know. ;)

Thought the cavalry might come charging... or was that carvery.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Valmont

caoibhin wrote: »
    I was chased in here by the god squad in their car.

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=55707843#post55707843

Sounds like you just finished reading the God delusion and wanted to let rip on some believers. These sorts of threads are everywhere - "well, eh, i believe in the spaghetti monster so eh, go disprove that you religious f***ers".

We know what the theists are like on boards, why draw them into the same pointless argument week in, week out?.

Good on Zapatero, that was a clever and subtle move.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

Fair play to him. I guess he's saying that he's taking an oath that he's serious about and he wants to swear it on a book that represents something he believes in.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I'm sure even the religious among us can applaud him for choosing the constitution over the Bible. I mean it would be a mockery of faith if he swore on the Bible that he does not believe in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

If the guy doesn't believe in the Bible then he'd be a hypocrite to swear on it. I wish more politicians would be as honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Doing what?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

rolling back the bigotry of the catholic church

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Originally Posted by rowlandbrowner
    Doing what?
    Being "a torn in the side of the Catholic Church", apparently.

PDN wrote: »
    I wish more politicians would be as honest.
    Just not around election time - or they wouldn't be a politician at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Doing what?
    promoting secularism

Advertisement