Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"handed over to customs"

Options
  • 18-04-2008 4:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

I recently bought goods on the internet from China. After tracking the goods they have come up as "handed over to customs". Can anyone explain what happens after this. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

It would be helpful if you posted exactly what you purchased.

But chances are either the shipping company or customs will shortly be in touch. I'm sure if you call the shipping company they could explain what is going on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Assuming it's not illegal, then the item will be valued (if no value was written on the outside or the value stated is obviously false) and you will be charged import duty and VAT. A bill might arrive in the post, and you'll have to submit payment before the package gets delivered, or the package will arrive with a payment to be made to the postman. If you don't pay, it gets sent back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 kaliber247

Hi, Thanks for the reply. It is a makeup set that was cheaper to import from china. I am hoping that it is not a fake. Would this make a difference if it was found to be counterfeit. Thanks
    Gillo wrote: »
    It would be helpful if you posted exactly what you purchased.

But chances are either the shipping company or customs will shortly be in touch. I'm sure if you call the shipping company they could explain what is going on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

kaliber247 wrote: »
    Hi, Thanks for the reply. It is a makeup set that was cheaper to import from china. I am hoping that it is not a fake. Would this make a difference if it was found to be counterfeit. Thanks

It won't make a difference, customs will value it and add the VAT. Since it's a cheap Chinese import, there is the possibility it's a fake. Not everything is, but a lot are. eBay purchase was it? Lots of fake everything on there. Can be hard to find the genuine items sometimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭Morbid.Angel

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

I know someone who had clothes confiscated recently because they were counterfeit. Literally confiscated, they got a letter from the customs dept saying they had intercepted the package and it was being confiscated and destroyed :confused::pac:

I was very surprised myself, I didn't think they'd bother going after individuals (whatever about traders bringing in shedloads of stuff)...but anyway, that's what happened, so make of it what you will.

Anyways, its much more likely it's being processed by customs so they can charge the necessary fees. The only complication that should happen here is if there isnt a clear invoice attached to the parcel stating it's value/cost. Once all the paperwork is in order and they're happy that the declaration is valid, the package should be released within a day or two and you'll have to pay the charges to the postman/delivery agent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 twkm05

Hey guys,

I have been awaiting a package from a seller on Dhgate and only managed to track the item yesterday cuz the ems trackin service was down. Typical.
    Anyway, it stated it had been handed over to customs. So i rang An Post here in Ireland n they asked straight away what was in the package so I told them- "Runners". "There was 4 pairs of runners in the package", I said to the man. He instantly replied with " there are no Nike factories in China". Can any1 confirm this?
    Anyway, he said I will recieve a letter soon stating the outcome but Im convinced the package will be confiscated.
    Im ****in disgusted now because I know im probably gonna be loosing out on €120.
    I suppose, from what ive read, its pot luck they get siezed. All the parcels/packages i ordered from china have never been caught before now.

Another question would be - will the Postal service earmark packages that are going to a particular address as suspicious in the future?

I dunno what ta do now. This really sucks donkey balls .

PS. I dont wanna read "serves ya right for getn stuff off dhgate"
    Well for anybodies info I make a lot of money selling runners. It takes a while ta find reliable sellers but its worth the effort. Thats off topic anyway. Nuf said

So any ideas peoples? Sum comments would be appreciated.

Thanks yall.

Tommy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭JohnC.

I'm not sure what he means by saying "There are no Nike factories in China." I thought there were BTW. I don't think there are any in Ireland either, but you can still get them here.

But there is still a good chance they were fake anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

twkm05 wrote: »
    Hey guys,

I have been awaiting a package from a seller on Dhgate and only managed to track the item yesterday cuz the ems trackin service was down. Typical.
    Anyway, it stated it had been handed over to customs. So i rang An Post here in Ireland n they asked straight away what was in the package so I told them- "Runners". "There was 4 pairs of runners in the package", I said to the man. He instantly replied with " there are no Nike factories in China". Can any1 confirm this?
    Anyway, he said I will recieve a letter soon stating the outcome but Im convinced the package will be confiscated.
    Im ****in disgusted now because I know im probably gonna be loosing out on €120.
    I suppose, from what ive read, its pot luck they get siezed. All the parcels/packages i ordered from china have never been caught before now.

Another question would be - will the Postal service earmark packages that are going to a particular address as suspicious in the future?

Well for anybodies info I make a lot of money selling runners. It takes a while ta find reliable sellers but its worth the effort. Thats off topic anyway. Nuf said

Thanks yall.

Tommy
    yes the post office may well monitor packages going to certain addresses and intercept counterfeit goods or other goods they believe are being imported for resale without the necessary import license.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭podge018

Of course Nike have factories in China.

http://cbae.nmsu.edu/~dboje/nike/china.html
    The report said China is Nike's largest single sourcing country, with some 180 manufacturers and about 210,000 employees.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭KatCookie

Did they ask who you were getting the parcel from? would it have had an address of a person or a company that it was coming from in China?
    because i'm led to believe that if you were sent something from a friend for example , then it is exempt from tax and the like..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Never knew about that site, i'll have to check it out now :D Thanks
    Hey guys,

Thanks yall.

Tommy

• Registered Users Posts: 24,075 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Doesn't this come down to EU import restrictions to prevent particular types of cheap goods flooding the EU market?

Not to mention the licence mentioned by Foggy Lad.

http://www.china.org.cn/english/2005/Feb/121062.htm

Since February 1, the EU has required importers to apply for a license from any one of its member countries before Chinese-made shoes can enter their market.

Heya guys,
    First off Id like ta say thanks for those of you that took the time ta write a reply. I never expect much response from any forums really. Sorry for the delay too cuz i use my secondary email for forums n forgot ta check it out.
    So anyway, its bn over 2 wks now n i havent heard anythin yet.
    The things that some of you wrote really answered my questions from all angles but i think ejmaztec's answer should sum it up for any1 out there wit the same problem.

KatCookie - Yes i know what ya mean and Im sure these chinese sellers are fully aware of that so they list the package as a "gift" but as you can imagine, if they inspect the package to find 4 brand spanking new runners in it it might be suspiciuos. My point is that you simply run the risk of ordering large quantities.

Fighting Irish - I am sorry if i mislead u with regards to dhgate but be fully ****in aware of who you are dealing with. I spent months researchin the site due to tonnes of unanswered questions. U have bn warned and I will not explain myself further. ie dont get ur hopes up when ya see ipods for €30.

podge018 - Thats exactly what i thought. I even said to your man "Where do ya think it'd your runners are made if you checked the label?" He had no reply. Typical. Im sure there is too but they might not be licensed.

To the rest of you thanks for the reply.

Ill let ya know should i recieve the package. Im sure ive more chance of getn a **** of the pope than getn it delivered but anyway, **** it. Ya win sum ya loose sum. Simple as....

Tommy

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Fighting Irish - I am sorry if i mislead u with regards to dhgate but be fully ****in aware of who you are dealing with. I spent months researchin the site due to tonnes of unanswered questions. U have bn warned and I will not explain myself further. ie dont get ur hopes up when ya see ipods for €30.

werd

i had a good look around, it looks way to hit or miss for me, i also found http://www.globalsources.com/ pretty much the same deal

if you know any good reliable sellers, starting posting their names? :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭LolaDub

I ordered some things online from victorias secret last year, they said delivery would take 21 days, around the month mark i was away and had sent an email asking where my items were. Got back a tracking number and seized by customs or something message came up. Anyhow i said i'd look after it when i was back.

While i was gone UPS tried to deliver it and were told when i would be back, my flatmate said the package was already open and asked why, ups guy said customs had done it and they weren't allowed to seal it, ups also said there would be a 27 euro charge for customs. The items cost 30 euro and i had to pay 25 euro postage. Despite being told when i would back the same ups guy called to my house and three times at 8am, my flatmates were fairly annoyed obviously and the ups guy said that on his third attempt the package would get sent back but as a courtesy he was calling a fourth time. As he knew when i would be back it made no sense. My flatmates didn't want to take in the package as they had no idea what it was and if i wanted to pay the 27 euro.

When i got back emailed ups and arranged a day for them to deliver surprise they delivered the next day and everything had been opened. The box was marked as victorias secret so they had to have known it was underwear, each item was in a little clear bag so you could see exactly what it was. Victorias secret wouldn't take them back as everything had been opened so i had to forsk out an additional 27 euro for customs and then 2 days later i got a bill from ups for 'additional services' which they never clarified. Ridiculous. Anyhow op i hope your situation turns out better! Good Luck!

Well ppls,

Just the other day i received a letter from Customs which is Revenue.ie here in ireland. The letter was with reference to Notice of Seizure, Customs Consolidation Act, 1876 Section 207.

It stated that the runners i meant ta receive were "liable to forfeiture under section 177 of the customs consolidation act".

What a load of co.ck is all i can say. But having said that i have recieved 5 large packages in the mean time so it is only a matter of chance that they get stopped/searched.

They say here and i suppose most countries that they are trying to minimise the influx of counterfeit goods from china because of obvious reasons. No matter what country u are in it is illegal to import goods because you are seen as part of a counterfeit ring.
    I read this and some other articles based on the same thing but this gives the general jist of it for those of u are interested;

http://lisapage.wordpress.com/2008/03/05/its-illegal-to-sell-counterfeit-or-fake-goods/

Anyway, thats me sorted so ta conclude its jus unlucky if ur package gets stopped so dont be surprised if it gets confiscated and destroyed altho they mite be just checking it and adding the necessary import tax and duties.

Peace out all (",)

Tommy

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1m1tless

Well ppls,

Just the other day i received a letter from Customs which is Revenue.ie here in ireland. The letter was with reference to Notice of Seizure, Customs Consolidation Act, 1876 Section 207.

It stated that the runners i meant ta receive were "liable to forfeiture under section 177 of the customs consolidation act".

What a load of co.ck is all i can say. But having said that i have recieved 5 large packages in the mean time so it is only a matter of chance that they get stopped/searched.

They say here and i suppose most countries that they are trying to minimise the influx of counterfeit goods from china because of obvious reasons. No matter what country u are in it is illegal to import goods because you are seen as part of a counterfeit ring.
    I read this and some other articles based on the same thing but this gives the general jist of it for those of u are interested;

http://lisapage.wordpress.com/2008/03/05/its-illegal-to-sell-counterfeit-or-fake-goods/

Anyway, thats me sorted so ta conclude its jus unlucky if ur package gets stopped so dont be surprised if it gets confiscated and destroyed altho they mite be just checking it and adding the necessary import tax and duties.

Peace out all (",)

Tommy

I got one of these letters in ref to section 207 today. I bought some dvds from dhgate.com and customs found them to be pirated. It was on the letter that prosecution may happen. Anyone know of what happens? What should I do. Thats what you get for trying to get a bargain eh

Advertisement