Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thanks...and No Thanks

Options
  • 18-04-2008 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭

The "Thanks" option is a good idea, and I think generally valuable,

But I think boards would benefit from an equally balancing "No Thanks" or negative rating system. So many times now I read where someone has posted generally accepted ridiculous statements which completely detract from what ever discussion is taking place. Often times its people with only a few posts to their name, but their little statements can have big imacts, particularly in forums like PI.

In general though I think it would be a good idea as it would allow other members to express their disapproval of a statement, as well as allowing them to approve and say thanks to genuinely helpful posts and members. It may also help "repeat offenders" form ruining things, while adding weight and authority to the response of someone who is regularly thanked for quality thought out posts.

What do people think?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

I think its already been stated several times that there is not going to be a "No Thanks" button or anything like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

I think you have to be careful of it being abused in discussions which I sometimes see with the thanks system as it is now. You agree with me so I thank you, you don't agree with me so i'll give you a no thanks.

The only time thanks should be used in discussions imo is if someone makes an informative or well thought out post. Equally if there was a no thanks it should be used if someone states something clearly untrue or inaccurate. Not to be used just because you don't like a poster or their opinions.

I just ignore untrue or inaccurate posts. You will inevitably have people correcting them anyway so I don't think a no thanks is needed.

/edit Didn't see aidan_walsh's post till after I posted. Good enough for me.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement