Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swimming in Waterford City

• 18-04-2008 4:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

I may be doing some work in Waterford this summer. I'm a keen (pool) swimmer and I'd like to be able to keep this up while in the city.

The place that looks like the best spot is the Waterford Crystal pool, near the IT. However, I can't seem to find any information on whether this is open to the general public, (if so) what the opening hours are, etc., etc.

(the info I have mainly comes from www.swimmersguide.com - an excellent guide to swimming pools around the world)

I'd be grateful if anyone could provide any information about the above, or links to such information.

Thanks

(I hope this is the correct forum. I know there's a swimming forum, but I thought the question might receive a better response in this one).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭ec18

waterford crystal has public swims at every hour...bar some days that there are lessons on (can't remember what days these are) but there is a lane swim every night that is open to everyone. YOu might also like to look at the kingfisher club they have a new olympic sized (I think!). Thats on the Tramore Road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,191 ✭✭✭kensutz

Kingfisher hours are restricted to the public too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

I know there are triatolon lessons on tuesday nights in the waterford crystal one!and exercise in the pool wednesday nights! wednesday 8pm roughly, tuesday 10pm is not public i think...-ish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Too many good beaches to be swimming in a pool! I was up there a week ago and they open around 8 and close at 10 I think. Don't quote me on that though. I know Friday 8-9 is lessons also, so that rules that out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

I use the Waterford Crystal pool. Its a 25m pool and is open to the public. The only problem is that most of the swims are open swims and the pool gets full of children. If you want to swim lengths it makes it difficult.

There are some adult only swims and during the week (evening time) Monday @9, Wednesday @9 and Friday @9 are the best times.

The Kingfisher is magnificant. I was going to join but I heard some people say that its full of travellers, and it is! A lot of people are pulling out. A pity because its a fantastic pool.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Iv given the topic a clean out and removed off-topic and discriminating remarks. While I understand that people are frustrated that they cant use the gym because of apparent trouble from the traveling community it is not fair to start making discriminating remarks against them or throwing insults. It goes off-topic and discrimination is against the law.

Please stick to the topic and answer the OPs question. I have already issued one ban for discrimination, and I dont want to issue anymore. So please, lets get back on topic. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Waterford Crystal is a nice pool. Best to try get it when it's not absolutely full as already said. Nobody seems to have a bad word to say about it so if I was you, I'd get on the phone and give them a ring. You probably already have their number from Swimmers Guide. Find out times, and particularly their less busy times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭strassenwolf

Thanks a lot for the replies. Much appreciated.

Those evening lane swims at the Waterford Crystal pool sound like just what I want.

(I agree Roen - it is a disgrace to be swimming in a pool when there are so many good beaches in the vicinity. It's simply that I've always been a bit of a chicken when it comes to the sea:o)

Advertisement