Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Noise and optical input questions

• 18-04-2008 4:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭

hey

just got a 360 premium from xtra vision there w/ 4 games offer. First thing ive noticed is (and yes, i realise this has been posted to death) the noise coming out of the thing. I thought the lastest consoles are somewhat quieter? Also in mates' houses it never seemed as loud, maybe its because i was on my own setting it up etc. I guess its something that you just have to get used to. i've been gaming on pc for years and the noise has never been a bother at all.

Also, seeing as the optical sound port is on the A/V cable does this mean i can't get 5.1 sound output using my amp and use a hdmi cable for video?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭Julez

grimm2005 wrote: »

Also, seeing as the optical sound port is on the A/V cable does this mean i can't get 5.1 sound output using my amp and use a hdmi cable for video?

Exactly, you just setup in the options where you want the sound to come from HDMI or Optical.
    As for the noise, its just a loud console!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭grimm2005

oh right, although the a/v cable is pretty chunky and it dosnt look as if i'll get a hdmi cable in under it. I'll have a go though! Thanks!

btw, already pretty much used to the noise level, put in a game for a minute and realised the initial disc spinning sounds quietens a nice bit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭Julez

grimm2005 wrote: »
    oh right, although the a/v cable is pretty chunky and it dosnt look as if i'll get a hdmi cable in under it. I'll have a go though!

I've HDMI and the AV adapter in fine, can't remember it being a struggle at all! You should be fine!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭grimm2005

just tried it there. no chance of gettin both in at the same time. the a/v adapter is far too chunky and covers up half the hdmi port :(

have to say its a pretty poor design on microsofts part not to have the optical port on the actual console. now i have to choose between 1080p (which it seems hdmi is only capable of displaying) and surround sound :mad:

edit: well i figured out its another ms money-making scheme. theres an official xbox hdmi cable with an audio adapter (optical and left/right audio jacks) which they expect you to fess up €50 or so to buy. no thanks. but since my amp has 3 hdmi slots i think, according to the "note" section of this http://www.xbox.com/en-US/support/systemsetup/xbox360/accessories/hdmicable.htm I should be able to plug the hdmi cable into the amp and then get another hdmi cable to run from one of the other amp ports to the tv. Does that sound about right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Only if your amp supports sound over HDMI.

You should be able to get one of those audio adapters cheap on ebay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

I was at a game launch before and there were ten Xbox machines running - the place sounded like the inside of a hoover!

Advertisement