Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

hole in exhaust pipe VW Polo 1998

Options
  • 18-04-2008 4:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

hiya,

i'm about to buy a VW Polo 1.4 saloon 1998 but have been advised that it has a hole in the exhaust. This will need to either be repaired or a new one fitted.

anyone got any ideas for a ballpark figure this might cost me? between 100-200 euro for a new one?

i've not driven a car with a faulty exhaust before, will this hole make it very noisy?

thanks

damien.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Yes, it'll be very noisy, the good news is, skangers will think you're cool :)

Cost wise, others will be able to say more but if it's a part of the exhaust that has the catalytic convertor attached then it'll cost you a lot! If not, it shouldn't be so bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭250882

Price and noise will depend on where the hole is, if its in the manifold then its gonna be noisy, if its on the tail behind the box then its not gonna be too bad.
    Also depends if its petrol or diesel, petrol can sound OK while a diesel with a holy exhaust is the worst sound in the world, like a massy ferguson on a diet of baked beans and red meat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 clovers

r3nu4l wrote: »
    Yes, it'll be very noisy, the good news is, skangers will think you're cool :)

Cost wise, others will be able to say more but if it's a part of the exhaust that has the catalytic convertor attached then it'll cost you a lot! If not, it shouldn't be so bad.

when you say it will cost a lot, how much is a lot!!!

dont want to buy some piece of junk that will end up costing me a fortune!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Cost will depend on which section of the exhaust has the hole.

253550iz5.png

253800di5.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

spot welded for about 60euro. again as other posters has said it depends where the hole is.

inevitably it will be noisey. If i was you go look at the car, ask the owner to start the engine and see if you can tolerate it!

if it is in the manifold it can be bad for you too with toxic co and co2 leaking into the passenger cabin via the car vents. i'd recommend driving with windows down and blower off in the 'recirculating' position.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

The brother paid around 350eu from advance pitstop last week for the full system

Advertisement