Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sleeping Beauty Ballet at the Hawkswell tomorrow night

Options
  • 18-04-2008 5:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭

who's going?

I wish I was but I'm working. :'(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Oooh! I didn't know it was on. I'm going to ring now and see are there tickets left. My girl would LOVE this.
    Sorry you can't go Xiney, I'll do a "Xiney Type" review for you if I get tickets!

P.S. Swap shifts and come with us!

They have tickets left, yaay! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

Never realised this was on! :( I never pay much attention to The Hawkswell! I'd love to go to it.

Sue we'll be counting on your review!

Oh God.

It will be something like:

Em, they jumped, and then they, err danced a bit and the music was nice..

I know as much about Ballet as I do Brain Surgery. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

sueme wrote: »
    P.S. Swap shifts and come with us!

I would but I currently don't have a coworker.

I haven't had a day off in a week :'(:'(

I'm looking forward to your review!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

Well I know less about it so I won't notice! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Im looking forward to Sue's review also.

It's bound to be one of the boards classics ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Haven't been to the hawkswell in ages!

Its THREE hours long!! And the only seats left were in the front row...:(

(Due to the whiplash I'll probably get, my review may be a little sketchy. Phew!)

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Its THREE hours long!! And the only seats left were in the front row...:(

(Due to the whiplash I'll probably get, my review may be a little sketchy. Phew!)
    Oh dear. The excuses are appearing even before the event :D

• Advertisement

Oh it was LOVELY!

Got a child who now wants to be a ballerina, to put to bed.

Am I too old to be a ballerina...?

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭blackiebest

Was absolutely brilliant, budding ballerina here too, long show but super. Need more of that quality in Sligo:)

Was absolutely brilliant, budding ballerina here too, long show but super. Need more of that quality in Sligo:)

I was worried it would be too long for a child, but it flew.

Wasn't the ballerina (programs upstairs with "ballerina in training") who wore the lilac dress (I think she was the Lilac Fairy) stunning?! My God, I could have watched her forever.

I used to want to be a ballerina too

But I was too fat and clumsy :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Jabby

Gillie wrote: »
    Haven't been to the hawkswell in ages!

Three years ago, Sligo almost lost the Hawk's Well theatre. Attendances were dropping alarmingly and things looked very bleak for them indeed. For a while there, it seemed that every time one opened the paper, the theatre was on the brink of closure.
    Since then, they have employed new director who seems to be doing a marvelous job and has turned the place around completely in a short space of time . It has got a whole new image inside and outside. A brighter and fresher look inside the foyer with various art and photographic exhibitions regularly on show as well as some of the best visiting theatre companies in the country performing there.
    I think all of us (including myself) should frequent this wonderful theatre a lot more often to ensure their future as they really are doing a great job.

Xiney wrote: »
    I used to want to be a ballerina too

But I was too fat and clumsy :P

Well I wanted to have a dodgy perm, leather jacket, too-tight pants and drive a black car called KITT that talked to me and could jump buildings and stuff but you don't hear me complaining!;)

Well I wanted to have a dodgy perm, leather jacket, too-tight pants and drive a black car called KITT that talked to me and could jump buildings and stuff but you don't hear me complaining!;)

Don't be trying to put us off the scent Gillie (aka David H) we've seen you around town in your perm and too tight pants... :p

Don't be trying to put us off the scent Gillie (aka David H) we've seen you around town in your perm and too tight pants... :p

It's True! It's all True!:o
    Here's me posing for my passport photo!
    KnightRider3-735681.jpg

Isn't this the one you had when you were a mod?
    <removed image>

Isn't this the one you had when you were a mod?
    <removed image>

Where did you get that!:o

OT. Have the Hawkswell improved their advertising at all? Do they still have an add in the champion etc?
    The one problem I would have with the place is that there can be an air of eliteism about the place which is a shame!

That said it's only a few!

• Advertisement

Where did you get that!:o

OT. Have the Hawkswell improved their advertising at all? Do they still have an add in the champion etc?
    The one problem I would have with the place is that there can be an air of eliteism about the place which is a shame!

That said it's only a few!

They have started to advertise every show on a very effective black sign outside the theatre which is regularly updated as well as in the Sligo Champion and Weekender. If anyone wants the brochure, I think they can get it posted to them (I suppose that can be arranged either by phone or e-mail. They also have a good website.
    As for the elitism thing, I think that's all but gone now although I see where you are coming from. Theatres in general in the past tended to attract some so called 'elitists' or those who thought it was elitist to be seen there ,but I hear that they (Hawks Well) are trying to open it up a lot more now to the not so familiar theatre goer which can only be a good thing.
    By keeping their theatre prices as low as possible and encouraging some of our talent from local clubs such as St Annes and schools such as Ursuline and Summerhill College and groups like The Sligo General Hospital Musical Societys charity shows, Coolera pantos etc ,they are going a long way to help dispel this attitude.

My daughter has been in a few of the St Annes "Our Shows" and believes she has as much right to be on stage or in the audience as anyone! I certainly wouldn't have had the same confidence at that age.

St Annes is a great facility if you have little ones. Their Summer Camp is by far the best in town too.

My daughter has been in a few of the St Annes "Our Shows" and believes she has as much right to be on stage or in the audience as anyone! I certainly wouldn't have had the same confidence at that age.

St Annes is a great facility if you have little ones. Their Summer Camp is by far the best in town too.

Your right about St Annes. Some of the best youth leaders are working over there. (George, Willie and Frankie to name but a few) We are lucky to have such a place and these people.
    The show that they put on (Our Show) is excellent. A great deal of time and preparation beforehand is put into that as I'm sure you know Sueme. They all deserve credit.

Jabby wrote: »
    Your right about St Annes. Some of the best youth leaders are working over there. (George, Willie and Frankie to name but a few) We are lucky to have such a place and these people.
    The show that they put on (Our Show) is excellent. A great deal of time and preparation beforehand is put into that as I'm sure you know Sueme. They all deserve credit.

Also, the charges are minimal compared to other classes/courses. Theres a lovely atmosphere there too.

Xiney, you need to hire out the dance studio upstairs and pretend to be a ballerina for a day - even I get the urge to dance when I'm there!

Also, the charges are minimal compared to other classes/courses. Theres a lovely atmosphere there too.

Xiney, you need to hire out the dance studio upstairs and pretend to be a ballerina for a day - even I get the urge to dance when I'm there!

... how strong are their floor beams :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 avalon1

its true st anne's did change its name to the avalon centre but it will always be called st annes. new dance term starts monday 30th march at usual times. our summer camps start on monday 29th june 2009. our 10th annual show is booked for next march. i'm just new to this but i will will be updating every few weeks, all the above programmes are organised by george.
    other programmes guitar classes aged from 7 to 15.
    junior youth club every monday and wednesday 7pm-8.30 aged 6-11
    senior club every tuesday & thursday 7pm-9pm aged 12-15
    thas just a taste of our 64 programmes we have during the year.
    if i can be of any help just post me and i'll reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

This thread is almost a year old,we don't bring up old threads around here.

Locked!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement