Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best way to explain disabilty in Job Interview?

• 18-04-2008 5:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭

I have a registered disability.....applied or and received such...as I was frustrated for long periods due to my ailments....something akin to Photosensitivity. However the allowance is only existence and not living from a financial perspective. Therefore if I could find suitable employment...I'd really like to try....from a social and financial perspective. I actualy have an interview for a position roughly 12 hours a week....and I feel that I could do it...I didn't however tell them that I have registered disability and would require permission to work. It is likely to be granted...but nonetheless I'm not in complete control.

Id appreciate any advice from others who have been in similar positions.

Thanks
    A

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "need permission to work". Could you explain that better and how it affects your ability to acquire/retain employment?

You're not obliged to disclose a disability in a job interview, but generally it's something you might like to bring up at the interview stage.

You best know your disability and how to deal with it and presumably you feel your disability will not affect your ability to fill the position. It's up to you to explain to your potential employer that you will benefit their organisation and won't be a drain on resources etc. (As this is generally the biggest fear or employers).

For example, with a visual impairment you might just explain that you have x, y, or z condition, yet with certain technologies and/or low vision aids you're perfectly capable of performing all of the required tasks, explain about the various government grants etc available to employers to provide the relevant technologies and aids to staff etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭CtrlSource

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I suspect that Filan is in receipt of some amount of Disability Allowance and would have to inform the Government if he takes employment, even part-time.

A lot of people in receipt of this allowance risk losing some or all of it if they take-up even quite low paid employment. When I started my current job, I was switched to a back to work allowance which allowed me to collect 75% allowance in year 1, 50% in year 2 and 25% in year 3 before tapering off completely. I did however lose my Mobility Allowance immediately and have a yearly battle to retain my Medical Card, despite the fact that my medical condition more than justifies its retention, when compared to some cases who get them almost automatically.

AFAIK, "permission to work" isn't required, but as I'm sure you know, you'll need to weigh up the pros & cons and see if it's worth it - financially and otherwise.

Regarding the interview process, I think Amz's advice is sound :)

I'm aware of the disability allowance constraints, that's why his use of the phrase "need permission" confused me, as permission is not required, however you must inform the Department of Social welfare and they can made adjustments as neccessary.

OP, how did the interview go?

Unfortunately, Filan has a tendency to start threads in this forum which he doesn't return to.

• Advertisement

[in the voice of Mork] Earth calling Filan, come in Filan!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭Filan

Apologies for delay....don't actualy log on here much. I didn't get the job, but don't regret going for the interview...was a good experience and keeps me in touch with the world. They were really nice, but who knows whether my restrictions were a factor? maybe, maybe not...

It was actualy only with considerable reluctance that I availed of this allowance, as it could complicate future employment options, but did mean a net increase of about E35 per week income and hey that suitable job might never come...

I'm currently doing a part-time teaching course....short term and some work experience is required in order to validate my qualification. Does anyone know whether a taking a few weeks temporary employment would be straightforward? ... I don't regret taking disability allowance as my special needs are quite genuine....but actualy taking suitable employment...especialy short-term isn't as straightforward.

Thanks to all
    Alan

Filan wrote: »
    Does anyone know whether a taking a few weeks temporary employment would be straightforward? ... I don't regret taking disability allowance as my special needs are quite genuine....but actualy taking suitable employment...especialy short-term isn't as straightforward.

i would suggest contacting your local Social Welfare office about this.

Or try: http://comhairle.ie/contactus.html

http://www.citizensinformationboard....ties2sick.html

Hard luck on not getting the job - better luck next time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Sunfowers

Filan, have you tried linking in with a supported employment group. they can help you to find work and help answer a lot of those other questions.
    There are three in Dublin is thats where your based, you can get further information about them through FAS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Sunfowers

Sorry just relises your based in Limerick but there are Supported Employment Groups around the country so there should be one that covers your area.

• Advertisement
Advertisement