Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

oil coming from dipstick

Options
  • 18-04-2008 6:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭

hello wonder can anybody help
    Ive just noticed a fewdrops of oil coming from the dipstick of my tractor
    engine.The engine doesnt smoke and starts and drives well.Is this a
    sympton of a more serious problem or is it possible that it can be corrected inexpensively.I fear the worst please tell me otherwise!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

First of all I'm no tractor expert but.....

It may be that there is a seal where the dipstick 'handle' meets the tube - this maybe worn which will allow oil to escape. Secondly, it could be possible that you may have too much pressure in the crankcase which may be unseating the dipstick. This would indicate a possible problem with the crankcase breather.

Just a couple of ideas - but cars are my thing - not tractors - so maybe have it looked at by someone that is competent with such engines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Crosshair

There should be a breather pipe on the engine to allow gases to escape, on tractors this is usually pointing down and the outlet is at about sump level, check to see there is something coming out this pipe. if not its blocked and causing the gas to exit through the dipstick along with some oil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭groupb

Piston rings could be damaged which in turn could cause pressure in the crankcase.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

go to a doctor

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

BENDYBINN wrote: »
    Ive just noticed a fewdrops of oil coming from the dipstick of my tractor
    I wouldn't get too worried about 'a few drops'. Ive driven many tractors with plenty of oil coming from the dipstick but I suppose, as they weren't my own, I didn't get too worried about it.
    Mordeth wrote:
    go to a doctor
    Very constructive Mordeth. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭maidhc

What kind of tractor is it?

All the Cummins derived engines that NewHolland fit seem to leak a bit out the dipstick if it isn't secured properly. Our TS115 has done it from new, and most other ones I have observed are the same.

If the tractor is doing what it should be, don't worry about it. The worst you will need is an reconditioned engine a long ways down the road, and for a tractor that is only a rite of passage! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Wouldn't it be the same basic operation as a diesel engine in a car, only the engine is bigger?

Or are they completely different designs but happen to run on diesel?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

maidhc wrote: »
    All the Cummins derived engines that NewHolland fit seem to leak a bit out the dipstick if it isn't secured properly
    It used to almost gush out of the old Universals! :eek: "Fill the oil and check the diesel". ;)
    E92 wrote: »
    Wouldn't it be the same basic operation as a diesel engine in a car, only the engine is bigger?

My technical knowledge is slim but the dipstick tends to be on the side of the engine block on most tractors as opposed to on top on a car.

E92 wrote: »

Same, except with low power (generally rev from 1,000 rpm to 2,000 rpm) and high torque. Big load of gears and often extra ordinarily fancy gearboxes (e.g. CVT) to deal with the narrow power band.

...but as Wishbone says the dipstick is far closer to the sump. On old and worn diesels with a bit of blowby it is common for oil to spatter out on tractors when the dipstick is pulled out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Many thanks for all your replies.
    The tractor is a massey265. Ive checked the breather pipe and its not blocked. Also strong blow coming from oil fill cap.Tractor runs better when cap is off

• Advertisement

BENDYBINN wrote: »
    Many thanks for all your replies.
    The tractor is a massey265. Ive checked the breather pipe and its not blocked. Also strong blow coming from oil fill cap.Tractor runs better when cap is off

It does sound like you have a blocked crankcase breather to be honest. Take off the rocker cover and investigate further?

Advertisement