Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fish cake recipe

• 18-04-2008 6:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭

Anyone got a nice recipe for fish cakes. I have salmon, cod and a little smoked haddock in freezer I want to use up. Ta

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Sorry I don't have a recipe for fish cakes but with that selection I'd be inclined to poach it with onion in milk, thicken it then put it in the oven in a dish covered with creamy mash?
    Yum :)

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭deemy

Thanks db but really looking for cake recipe. fish is already cooked. leftovers !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Pigletlover

I just mix equal quanties of cooked fish and left over creamy mashed potatoes with a little egg, just enough to bind, and pat into shape. If you want a breadcrumb coating just dip the fish cakes in egg and toss in breadcrumbs, but I usually just dust them in a little flour - it gives them a light crispiness. Fry them in oil or butter, whichever you prefer for 2-3 minutes a side over a low heat until they are golden brown. I find they're easier to cook if you leave them for an hour or so before cooking.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

For mine I fry diced onion + red pepper. Mash potatoes and add the fish and veg together. Add prawns if you have them, season well. Make patties and and pat them with plain flour and lightly fry.

I was actually in a pub in Clare and they had a lot of fish on the menu. I tried their fishcakes and thought they were 'ok'. Got talking to the chef later on (I was hammered) and told her that her fishcakes weren't great and we kinda got into a row about it. Anyway she let me in the kitchen and demanded I made 'my' version for her, pissed an all as I was I did and she thought they were awesome!!

Advertisement