Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

can someone translate a few phrases?

Options
  • 18-04-2008 7:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭

Would anyone mind translating a few phrases for me?

Here they are;
    Are you afraid of heights?
    Do you have wings?
    Do you want to fly?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

Hey

hope this helps! :)

1. Are you afraid of heights? :

高所恐怖症がある?
    koushokyoufushou ga aru?

2. Do you have wings? :
    羽がある?
    hane ga aru?

3. Do you want to fly? :

飛びたいですか?
    tobitai desu ka?

GDM wrote: »
    Would anyone mind translating a few phrases for me?

Here they are;
    Are you afraid of heights?
    Do you have wings?
    Do you want to fly?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭clartharlear

Giruilla wrote: »
    3. Do you want to fly? :

飛びたいですか?
    tobitai desu ka?
    I heard recently that it's bad manners to use the -tai for someone else's wants.
    kohi wa ikaga desu ka コーヒーはいかがですかnot kohi o nomitai desu ka コーヒーを飲みたいですかand so on.
    I've been paranoid about asking people questions all week.

What do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

I heard recently that it's bad manners to use the -tai for someone else's wants.
    kohi wa ikaga desu ka コーヒーはいかがですかnot kohi o nomitai desu ka コーヒーを飲みたいですかand so on.
    I've been paranoid about asking people questions all week.

What do you think?

Yeah your right to question that alright! :)
    afaik, i think its wrong to say it assuming what somebody wants to do,
    eg, 彼はコーヒー飲みたい、kare ha kohi wo nomitai, he wants to drink coffee. like you are ordering coffee for him. saying いかが、ikaga, is like saying 'here, how about we get some coffee. you'd say it directly talking to a friend. in this i think the translation i gave would be ok, because it sound better than 'how about we go flying?'. i think as a direct question its ok.
    then again, I'm pretty new to the language so i could be wrong, what do you think?
    you in japan atm?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Giruilla is correct with regards to the nuances, to my mind. 「コーヒー飲みたい?」 is very unnatural. For more formal situations, 「コーヒーがいかがですか?」 is probably best, or in an informal situation 「コーヒー飲む?」 is also good.

To the original question, I reckon 「飛びたいですか?」 is a fair translation. However, as Japanese is a very context-sensitive language, it would help to know more about the situation it's being used in!

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭clartharlear

However, as Japanese is a very context-sensitive language, it would help to know more about the situation it's being used in!
    Good point. Coffee and the ability to fly aren't exactly the same!

Yes, I am in Japan. I've been here just shy of a year, and I really should know more than I do! I tried to ask a young fella the other day what he wanted to do in university.

• Advertisement
Advertisement