Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe

Options
  • 18-04-2008 8:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭

First trailer out now....

Gamespot wrote:
    MK vs. DCU will introduce several new elements that the team is hoping will make battles more dynamic. The three major ones that are ready to be discussed are Klose Kombat, Freefall Kombat, and stage interaction. Klose Kombat is a mode you'll initiate which pulls in the camera in close and has its own separate mechanics. Basically, when you initiate the mode you'll be the aggressor and your opponent will be on defense. In this closer view you'll be able to attack your foe's upper body with different types of blows for a set period of time, the exact duration of which is still being ironed out. To keep things fair, your opponent will be able to perform a number of different defensive moves to dodge your attacks, provided they're fast.

Freefall Kombat is another change of pace, tied in part to stage interaction. The mode is another player initiated sequence which is kicked off by you flinging your foe off a stage. Unlike previous games you won't just follow them down or watch yourself drop. Instead the camera willl come in and you'll be able to fight on the way down. You'll have a slightly tweaked set of possible attacks in this mode, much like Klose Kombat. From what we've seen, it appears your big motivation in these sequences is to gain the advantage on the way down and land on your opponent, for an added damage bonus. Part of this mode is tied to the stages, which appear to feature a different basic design than the previous games. The fighting areas will be a bit wider, to support throwing your opponent through walls and, in some cases, much taller, to allow enough time for fighting during freefall. Since these new elements should definitely change the flow of battle, the team is spending a lot of time figuring out the right amount of time for them to last. In addition, the fighting moves of the MK cast are getting an upgrade to let them go toe-to-toe with established and powerful characters like Superman.

A more potentially controversial change to the system is the game's fatalities. According to Boon, there will definitely be fatality-like finishing moves, but they may not be called fatalities. After all, it's doubtful that Superman or Batman would be ripping out anyone's spines or hearts. That said, the team is hellbent on pushing the limits to what they can do with the DC characters, so you can expect to see blood and some level of damage accumulate during a fight.

Full preview here: http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/mortalkombat/news.html?page=1&sid=6189513

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

From what the trailer shows(which isn't much) it looks quite crap. Oh, and no blood + no fatalities = not Mortal Kombat tbh. :(

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Indeed. This looks quite full of fail, and come on lads, show SOME originality. We all know Mortal Kombat robs wholesale from streetfighter, but even the name is a rip on Marvel Vs Capcom... I hope I am proven wrong as a DC beat em up could be great!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

This game is fvcking terrorism!

BAN THIS FILTH!*

*it's not worth the oil it's made of

• Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Looks terrible, and who exactly is in DC apart from Batman and Superman? Mortal Kombat VS Street Fighter would have been better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

ShaneU wrote: »
    who exactly is in DC apart from Batman and Superman?

Off the top of my head
    Heroes

The Green Lantern
    Wonder Woman
    The Flash
    J'onn J'onzz (Martian Manhunter)
    The Green Arrow
    Captain Marvel
    Plastic Man

And villians

Joker
    Lex Luthor
    Braniac
    Doomsday
    Solmon Grundy
    Vandal Savage
    Lobo

And bucket loads more.

Anyway Mortal Kombat has always been a rubbish series, i don't see why people are acting surprised that this one looks horrendous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

ShaneU wrote:
    Looks terrible, and who exactly is in DC apart from Batman and Superman? Mortal Kombat VS Street Fighter would have been better.
    Capcom would never associate their iconic creation with the dreck that is MK.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

Surely MK sells on the blood/fatality gimmick? What's the point without that?

Off the top of my head
    Heroes

The Green Lantern
    Wonder Woman
    The Flash
    J'onn J'onzz (Martian Manhunter)
    The Green Arrow
    Captain Marvel
    Plastic Man

And villians

Joker
    Lex Luthor
    Braniac
    Doomsday
    Solmon Grundy
    Vandal Savage
    Lobo

And bucket loads more.

Anyway Mortal Kombat has always been a rubbish series, i don't see why people are acting surprised that this one looks horrendous.
    ok wonder woman, joker, and lex luthor aside, most people wouldn't have heard of the others. Even Marvel would have been a better choice, at least then they could call it "Marvel Kombat" :D

I'd be fairly confident that most people couldn't name that many marvel characters either, aside from the ones that have been in films recently.

But thats neither here nor there, really. It wouldn't matter who they teamed up with, Mortal Kombat isn't exactly know for it's great characters (how many are just recolourings of the scorpion sprite?) or gameplay. I'm more surprised that DC have allowed this to be licensed than anything.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

ok wonder woman, joker, and lex luthor aside, most people wouldn't have heard of the others. Even Marvel would have been a better choice, at least then they could call it "Marvel Kombat" :D
    Are you pulling the piss? DC Comics are forking MASSIVE and only someone who's never read any comics would make such a stupid statement.

• Advertisement

Kharn wrote: »
    Are you pulling the piss? DC Comics are forking MASSIVE and only someone who's never read any comics would make such a stupid statement.
    You're right, I don't read comics, I'm 21.
    I said people who haven't read the comics wouldn't have a clue who they are apart from 6 or 7 characters. I'm not doubting the size of DC comics. Contrasted with Marvel, who have spiderman, captain america, the hulk, iron man, fantastic four, all the x-men, everyone knows who they are, comic fans or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Have to agree with Shane. Anybody who hasn't seen Justice League will know Batman and Superman characters only. Suppose the flash as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

Not sure what everyone's so disappointed about.

MK is crap.

I had no interest at all in the next one, but now that they've announced the DC tie in thing I'm actually curious. Maybe in the same way I'm curious about a car crash, but it's still more interesting than a standard new MK game.

You're right, I don't read comics, I'm 21.

Ahh, the "I'm soooooooooooo mature" approach.
    Nice one.

But, i'd re-think how you've spent those twenty one years seeing as you are having troubles with basic reading comprehension.
    Kharn said only someone who had never read any comics would make such a stupid statement, not "only somone who isn't currently reading comics".

And DC characters are more widely known that you give them credit for, it's just they've not been as high profile as marvel have been recently with every second franchise getting a film.

Not that any of this will stop this game being anything more than a massive trainwreck.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Read more comics, people, you're missing out on some of the greatest literature of our times.

Ahh, the "I'm soooooooooooo mature" approach.
    Nice one.

But, i'd re-think how you've spent those twenty one years seeing as you are having troubles with basic reading comprehension.
    Kharn said only someone who had never read any comics would make such a stupid statement, not "only somone who isn't currently reading comics".
    Would obtaining an English degree in those 21 years help ;) I perfectly understood what he was saying, smart arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Would obtaining an English degree in those 21 years help ;) I perfectly understood what he was saying, smart arse.

Well done. Was there a module in condescension? :pac:

I agree with your original point though, most people don't read comics, so most people wouldn't know many DC folk beyond Batman, Superman, Flash and Green Lantern tbh...

I don't agree with you trying to make out that people who read comics are immature. Makes ya look kinda bad coming out with that kinda tripe.

After all, you are posting in a gaming forum, which a lot of older people would regard as something for children. :pac:

Advertisement