Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Custom Furniture, looking for your opinions in a diplay unit please

Options
  • 18-04-2008 9:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I've come here to pick the brains of the experts. I collect statues based off comic books and moves. Some of them are limited edition, quite expensive and very heavy in weight.

I'm looking for a unit to display them. I've looked at Ikea, Argos and others but have found nothing that suits. I considered doing it myself but I think the project may be too difficult for me.

I'm looking for something like the unit below except with some differences.

10.jpg
    • It would have to be Beech wood to match the decor of the room.
    • Approximately 210cm wide, 205cm high and the base unit would ideally be 50-60cm from rear to front.
    • The rear shelves would be around 30-40cm deep to accomodate the statues, would be wood shelves as opposed to glass in the picture above and would be adjustable in height.
    • Going back the base unit, I would prefer it to have wide drawers instead of doors with shelves so I could store DVDs in it.

Can anyone give me advice / recommendations on where to get something like this made, know anyone that does custom work or a rough idea of the cost of a project like this?

Thanks,

Ken

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 kevqcs

Rael wrote: »
    Hi folks,

I've come here to pick the brains of the experts. I collect statues based off comic books and moves. Some of them are limited edition, quite expensive and very heavy in weight.

I'm looking for a unit to display them. I've looked at Ikea, Argos and others but have found nothing that suits. I considered doing it myself but I think the project may be too difficult for me.

I'm looking for something like the unit below except with some differences.

10.jpg
    • It would have to be Beech wood to match the decor of the room.
    • Approximately 210cm wide, 205cm high and the base unit would ideally be 50-60cm from rear to front.
    • The rear shelves would be around 30-40cm deep to accomodate the statues, would be wood shelves as opposed to glass in the picture above and would be adjustable in height.
    • Going back the base unit, I would prefer it to have wide drawers instead of doors with shelves so I could store DVDs in it.
    Can anyone give me advice / recommendations on where to get something like this made, know anyone that does custom work or a rough idea of the cost of a project like this?

Thanks,

Ken
    hi ken ,
    where you based ? i may be able to able to quote you on this,we have made a few display cabinets like this , for home cinemas ect,
    working from a sketch from clients,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

Hi I could make this for you no problem at all... I make cabinets everyday in work for all types of shop... What you are looking for you be easily catered for... I can manufacture it, finish it and install it for you... Where are you based?

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭JoeB-

When you say 'Beech wood' do you mean solid Beech? or more likely you mean Beech veneered MDF?

If the lads above are unsuitable you can get a list of cabinet makers, most of whom should be able to do the cabinet on www.furniture.ie Some cabinet makers will use veneered MDF, others may only work in solid wood... the techniques are somewhat different and require different tools. Some places may use both materials.

A totally vague price may be anywhere from 1,000 to 2,000...

Cheers
    Joe

Advertisement