Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importation of car into Ireland from NI

Options
  • 18-04-2008 9:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Not sure if anyone has been in this predicament but....

I am living in the North and am planning to move to Dublin. I am going to buy a car now but am likely to move down in next 3 months.

If I commute from Belfast until the 6 months VRT residence requirement is up (not bringing the car across the border but taking the train) will I be able to claim the VRT exemption?

Will they look for my train tickets as evidence that I am not using the car to commute?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭lynchie

The exemption only applies if after bringing the car into the South, you were fully resident in the north for the previous 6 months and can prove it. If you move down south in 3 months time and commute for three months, and especially if you are taking a wage down here and paying taxes it may be hard to prove you are still resident up north.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

you can still be resident in the north and work in the republic. Utility bills, rent agreement (to prove residence) and P45/60 (to prove you were paying tax in the UK) should be enough to prove residence. I did the same, only I had owned the car for 2 yrs so was able to prove my employment in the north with payslips also. You won't be able to do this. Remember that you will have to hold onto the car for 12mths before you can sell it in the south.

Just a quick note, if you are planning to buy 2nd hand, prices have tumbled in the south recently. Might not be the saving in it that you originally thought.

Advertisement