Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man shot dead in A1 pub tonight

Options
  • 18-04-2008 10:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭

I'm shocked this sort of thing is happening so close to home, apparently two men came in with balaclavas and shot him 6 times :eek:

here's an old rte link, but the latest I heard was he died.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/0418/artane.html

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

The A1 pub?

Normally I hate all this Dublin forum tbh and inbred rednecks on AH cheekily asking where a well known area/landmark/pub in Dublin is but....meh.

tbh Ive often wondered what the idea is in shooting people in crowded pubs. Why there?

Having said that if I had to be killed I guess the pub is an alright place to go.....

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Christ, I grew up around the corner from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

I am shocked by this and feel sorry for the man.

But I actually assumed 'A1 pub' meant some stupid 5 star hotel in the pub world or something stupid **** like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭líreacán

Yes, he died about 10pm.

Edit: "The A1 is in Artane. It is short for Ardlea Inn.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

SDooM wrote: »
    Christ, I grew up around the corner from there.

wow it could so easily have been you!!

did you see your life flash before your eyes!?!? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

Christ!!! I passed that place a few weeks ago... If I'd known I'd have taken a picture.......................................................................................:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Dirty Knuckles

Davidius wrote: »
    I am shocked by this and feel sorry for the man.

Why are you sorry for him?.

Its not like he got a bad pint and keeled over, he lived and died by the sword.
    I feel more sorry for his GF and kids. He was due to be married next week, and last night (when he was shot) his GF was on her hen's in Belfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

He had more then 24 convinctions according to RTE

Guy sounds like he was clowning around.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Tha Gopher wrote: »
    tbh Ive often wondered what the idea is in shooting people in crowded pubs. Why there?

I suppose it's an opportunity. They know their target is there and probably having a few pints, guard is lowered...easy. Also goes to show how little these animals give a sh*t about anybody. For all those who say "Sure, let them kill each other" I'm sure it wouldn't be too difficult for some innocent punter to be shot accidentally in a crowded boozer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Brow

I live very close to it and the road has been closed of all day. Hopefully its back to normal or its the long way to work tomorrow. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

I feel more sorry for his GF and kids.

Fair enough about the kids, they didn't choose to have a scumbag for a father. Won't be shedding any tears for her though, by the sounds of things she couldn't have not known what he was like. Imagine planning to marry someone like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Brow wrote: »
    I live very close to it and the road has been closed of all day. Hopefully its back to normal or its the long way to work tomorrow. :(

Nah, it hasn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Having said that if I had to be killed I guess the pub is an alright place to go.....

Why not. Because they know if anyone in the pub said anything to the Gardai they get shot or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Why not. Because they know if anyone in the pub said anything to the Gardai they get shot or something.

Your from the Coombe (did you say that before?)..

What about Bernard Dempsey, he thought the same!.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Ive often wondered what the idea is in shooting people in crowded pubs
    The "best" place to kill someone is in a crowded area - ensuing chaos, confusion, fear, confused witnesses, alcohol and then conflicting eye witness accounts leading people to doubt what they saw and then, as Gavin has said a sense of fear will set in.

Murder someone on a deserted street or road and there will probably be a cold clinical witness around somewhere.

I drank in the A1 one Sunday lunchtime in 1989 but haven't been in it since then. It intrigued me then as it was full of childrens buggies!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

What a way to go but you gotta love RTE's constant stone age principles on id'ing criminals.
    One was wearing a waist-length jacket with a white symbol on the left hand side, the other was wearing white runners.

Always so distinguishable when they are wearing a distinctive pair of trainers with a tick on them :rolleyes:

Mairt wrote: »
    Your from the Coombe (did you say that before?)..

What about Bernard Dempsey, he thought the same!.

Well around the corner in The Tenters.

Bernard Dempsey as in Sinn Fein lad, who got sentenced for murdering a drug-dealer in The Green Lizard? What about him?

By killing someone is a packed place probably gives this people "a buzz", shows that they're not afraid, etc... hence stamping on the local community.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Gav, I honestly thought the Tenters was a joke name....like one of those names made up for comedic effect.

Gav, I honestly thought the Tenters was a joke name....like one of those names made up for comedic effect.

http://ericbyrne.blogspot.com/2007/05/tenterhooks.html

I get that everyday btw, mainly off my northside Shels mates.:(

• Advertisement

http://ericbyrne.blogspot.com/2007/05/tenterhooks.html

I get that everyday btw, mainly off my northside Shels mates.:(

Been meaning to point that out to you. Why Shels? I know they're a southside club (which I love pointing out to my Shels supporting mates) but you're probably first fan of theirs I know from that side

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Is the Tenters boozer atill open? I used to live near it a few year ago and used it as my regular. Good pub but haven't noticed it open in quite a while.

Was v.surprised to hear people that haven't a clue talking 'up' the A1 on newstalk radio yesterday as though it was a tough pub on d'norside. It's a very respectable and friendly pub. In a smart quiet enough area. I know one of the bar managers there. He's worked there since he was 15,he'd be 38ish now. Must be some kinda record for longevity in a job in these days of transiance.

Gav, I honestly thought the Tenters was a joke name
    :eek: ....I hope you don't think the Blackpitts is made up also!
    humberklog wrote: »
    Is the Tenters boozer atill open
    It seems to be closed any time I pass but Gavin would be a lot more familiar with it.

BlackpittsTheTenters2.jpg

Is the Tenters boozer atill open? I used to live near it a few year ago and used it as my regular. Good pub but haven't noticed it open in quite a while.

Was v.surprised to hear people that haven't a clue talking 'up' the A1 on newstalk radio yesterday as though it was a tough pub on d'norside. It's a very respectable and friendly pub. In a smart quiet enough area. I know one of the bar managers there. He's worked there since he was 15,he'd be 38ish now. Must be some kinda record for longevity in a job in these days of transiance.

http://www.millcourt.ie/ It's closed at the moment but due back open when that development has finished afaik..

Is the A1 one of those local pubs? That you have to be a local to drink in it, or is it one of those "fancy going for a pint Pat, lets go to the A1"?

http://www.millcourt.ie/ It's closed at the moment but due back open when that development has finished afaik..

Is the A1 one of those local pubs? That you have to be a local to drink in it, or is it one of those "fancy going for a pint Pat, lets go to the A1"?

Well you don't have to be local to drink there but it would be a local pub if that makes sense. As humberklog said above it actually would be one of the less rough etablishments in the area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭líreacán

Collie D wrote: »
    Well you don't have to be local to drink there but it would be a local pub if that makes sense. As humberklog said above it actually would be one of the less rough etablishments in the area.

Yeah, considering the Blacker, the Sheaf/Purple Rain and the Roundabout are all near!!!!

Is the A1 one of those local pubs? That you have to be a local to drink in it
    It's a typical suburban pub and not as "local" as those in Dublin 8. ;)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

It's a 'come on mary,we'll go for a pint and a babycham'. Decent working blokes doin the horses,watching the footy and even take the "ol' sword" out for whatever she's havin in the evening. Along the lines of The Headline or Leonards rather than say Macauleys or Farrelly's(just to give you a reference point Gav).
    It's neither tough nor cliquey. Local pub on a run of shops(chipper,bookies,etc.). If someone of that ilk was getting shot around there I'd have thought it'd be the Roundabout pub. Not a bad pub but it does get a younger crowd. You wouldn't be 'scoring' drugs in the A1. Then that's probably why the guy was there if he knew his cards were marked.

líreacán wrote: »
    Yeah, considering the Blacker, the Sheaf/Purple Rain and the Roundabout are all near!!!!

Definitely...what's the Purple Rain? Sheaf changing it's name?

• Advertisement

It's a 'come on mary,we'll go for a pint and a babycham'. Decent working blokes doin the horses,watching the footy and even take the "ol' sword" out for whatever she's havin in the evening. Along the lines of The Headline or Leonards rather than say Macauleys or Farrelly's(just to give you a reference point Gav).
    It's neither tough nor cliquey. Local pub on a run of shops(chipper,bookies,etc.). If someone of that ilk was getting shot around there I'd have thought it'd be the Roundabout pub. Not a bad pub but it does get a younger crowd. You wouldn't be 'scoring' drugs in the A1. Then that's probably why the guy was there if he knew his cards were marked.

Aw right. As if you look at the murders in pubs they all seem to be those "local" pubs.

Advertisement