Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

credit card help!!!

Options
  • 18-04-2008 10:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

I don't know if this is the right forum.. mods please move if you think it should go somewhere else!!

anyway, in college a few weeks ago this girl came up to me and was like "hey you want free stuff?!" being a student I said yes of course, so she promised me a bag of free gifts if i just signed up for a student credit card with a certain bank. I thought Id just sign up and not use it ever.. just for the free stuff. She never told me thered be a government fee of 30 euro, which i only found out when I got the bill today. It says that 30 euro is due on 1st of april and whenever you close your card... does this mean ill have to pay 60 if i try to give the card back?? I didnt even have an account with this bank before so I don't know how to pay the bill even!
    All this for a stupid notebook and memory stick...

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Credit Cards are subject to Goverment Levy of €30 on the first of April every year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

cut the card in two, drop it into the nearest branch along with a copy of a of a letter complaining about the sharp practice to the Consumer affairs office and the Fin regulator and see what happens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Sandillica

Being a student this government levvy should not apply to you, i know with the levvy they put on atm cards a couple of years ago banks charged everyone and ended up refunding the students.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

ircoha wrote: »
    cut the card in two, drop it into the nearest branch along with a copy of a of a letter complaining about the sharp practice to the Consumer affairs office and the Fin regulator and see what happens

who said anything about sharp practice? the bank isn't gaining anything from the fee.
    Sandillica wrote: »
    Being a student this government levvy should not apply to you, i know with the levvy they put on atm cards a couple of years ago banks charged everyone and ended up refunding the students.

i have a student credit card and i've paid the levy every year

OP, the bill will have a bar code on it. you can bring it to the post office and they'll scan the code and you can pay it. or if you have online or phone banking you can set up the card to pay it there. just call your bank's customer care to sort it out. i have a BOI credit card and i pay it off with my AIB account.

credit cards are fantastic things to have as long as you don't spend more than you have. since you now have to pay the fee either way you might as well hang onto it for the year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

You should have read the T&C before you signed up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

random wrote: »
    You should have read the T&C before you signed up.

EXACTLY. The OP would have had to fill out an application form, and there would have been terms&conditions on the back which set out the interest rate and the government fee.

Somehow I doubt the OP checked the interest rate either. The bank have done nothing wrong here.

Advertisement