Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ruined game series

Options
  • 18-04-2008 10:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭

Series of games that are ruined beyond redemption :(

Mortal Kombat started off well then just died with crapfork after crapfork.

Sonic seriously being raped by Sega out of the last 10 games only one was good, the Ring on Wii but even then not that good.

Any others that are ruined forever unless someone else is allowed remake them?

kdjac

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Whoah! Sonic Rush was awesome!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

The Sims. Fifa. Need for Speed.

Actually anything EA touches.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭V9

Speaking of Mortal Kombat, seems the latest installment in the series will cross over to the DC comic universe...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Tekken seems to love shooting itself in the foot every other series.

No way am I playing T6 with its bloody "Bound" combo system (65-100% life combos from a single launcher...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Silent Hill (I haven't actually bothered playing 4 or Origins yet, I just know that they're rubbish by looking at them)

Resident Evil is one that was on the brink of turning into a crap series (hanging on the edge after CV and Outbreak), but was saved by Resi 4's awesomeness...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭ciano1

Medal of honour

• Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Tony Hawk springs to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Tony Hawk didn't really go downhill, it always sucked (IMO) and they just kept releasing the exact same game with some RPG elements tied on to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Gave up on FIFA after RTWC '98 (apparently new ones are good but meh...)

Worms - Should never have gone 3D

GTA - For some reason I liked the less realistic, simplistic, top-down, over the topness of 1&2. Dislike having to get out of the car to collect money so that I can get points...

Need For Speed - Loved the simplicity of the old versions and it was great to just jump into races, great replay value. New ones have gone a bit over the top with storylines full of fluff! Hate the damage in ProStreet - adds nothing really...Modification has gone over the top. Liked that Carbon brought in the "Canyon Duel" mode though - an interesting game mode. Not ruined beyond repair but a little less fond of it...

🤪

• Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ghouldaddy07

Final fantasy series seems to have been on a downward spiral since x-2 and I dont see it ever edging back up.

Also sonic adventure was fantastic

• Advertisement

Tony Hawk didn't really go downhill, it always sucked (IMO) and they just kept releasing the exact same game with some RPG elements tied on to it.

No way, the first three were brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

ShaneU wrote: »
    No way, the first three were brilliant.

Didn't like any of them. EVAR!!!!
    Maybe it's because I nearly broke my arm the first time I tried to skate.
    But the gamer in me says "Th3y r t3h suX l0l!!1!!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Also sonic adventure was horrific

I fixed that for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

I'd agree with Tony Hawk's games, used to love them but the last few have been total muck.

Totally disagree with Tekken, the game gets better every year, Tekken 5 was fantastic and I'm hoping Tekken 6 will be just as good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

ShaneU wrote: »
    Tony Hawk springs to mind.

Project 8 was pretty damn sweet. A hell of a lot more enjoyable than the fishy "Skate."

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

tman wrote: »
    Project 8 was pretty damn sweet. A hell of a lot more enjoyable than the fishy "Skate."

Ah now Skate was better than any TH game ever made.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

The Doom series went way downhill with Doom3.

Although technically not a series, Deus Ex 2 sucked as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Tekken seems to love shooting itself in the foot every other series.[/i]
    Do you mean every other version? I hated Tekken 4 but I really liked Tekken 5.
    silvine wrote: »
    Deus Ex 2 sucked as well.
    This is so true. I was disgusted when I played it. When I saw the thread title, that was the first game that I thought of.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

I immediately thought of Tomb Raider. Classic first two games that then went downhill...

Ah now Skate was better than any TH game ever made.
    +1

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,892 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Game Series for me that went downhill

Quake Series - 1 was amazing, 2 was good, multiplayer was better, 3 was okish for multiplayer with no single player and the latest one rubbish

Final Fantasy - Brilliant on the ps1 and FFX for the ps2 but the rot started with ffx-2 and most handheld final fantasy titles to date since have been very average.

Silent Hill - First one was amazing, 2nd one was ok and after that I lost interest.

Sonic - Megadrive games were great but all sonic games since the megadrive days have been uttter rubbish to the point of uncontrollable at times with the exception of the sonic rush games on the ds which were half decent.

Unreal - first one was amazing both in gameplay and graphics for its time, Unreal 2 was utter thrash, Unreal Tournment 1 was great but the sequels since then have been very much meh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Gonzo wrote: »
    Quake Series - 1 was amazing, 2 was good, multiplayer was better, 3 was okish for multiplayer with no single player and the latest one rubbish

YOU TAKE THAT BACK!
    Q3 is the finest deathmatch game ever made. Ever.

Quake 3 for multiplayer is great...4 is fairly bad for both!

🤪

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

The WWE games spring to mind for me. No Mercy was a near perfect game on the 64 but ever since then it's been downhill

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    Worms - Should never have gone 3D

GTA - For some reason I liked the less realistic, simplistic, top-down, over the topness of 1&2. Dislike having to get out of the car to collect money so that I can get points...

Need For Speed - Loved the simplicity of the old versions and it was great to just jump into races, great replay value. New ones have gone a bit over the top with storylines full of fluff! Hate the damage in ProStreet - adds nothing really...Modification has gone over the top. Liked that Carbon brought in the "Canyon Duel" mode though - an interesting game mode. Not ruined beyond repair but a little less fond of it...

Agree with the bit about worms. GTA got more fun with 3D, as you could kill people in more fun ways.

As for NFS, only enjoyed NFS:HP, and NFS:MW is excellent cos the cops are fun to race against. The rest of the series has gone down hill. Depends if you play it to get chased by the cops, to race, or to bling out a car in a way that your Micra will never look like :p

Parts of MW were good - cops & the challenges (trade paint, bounty, etc) - Carbon ruined those challenges suddenly by making you do missions rather than just being able to tick off a number of objectives in the one chase :)

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Pro Evolution Soccer, the last 2 have been horid.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,460 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Used to love TH games. Probably the most addictive 'one more go' high score challenge game Ive ever played. And then they decided to introduce the Jackass crew and act all 'hip'. Urghh. The descent was cliff-like.

I know its controversial, but I think FF has started to get ruined by oversaturation. How many sub-series of that game are there now? Seems to be some new one out every month. Even the core 12 got old fast, so I think it is starting to become less relevant with every new installment they shovel out.

James Bond series has lost all respect in my eyes too.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Burnout went downhill after the sublime 3, revenge was good but become more of a beat em up on wheels than a racing game, paradise was perfectly playable but the free roaming thing became annoying when you lost a race that involved you driving into the mountains then had to drive BACK to restart it rather than restarting from the pause menu like every other racing game ever made, EA had to be different....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

I'd have to also agree with Need for Speed.

Advertisement